An ebay scam gone wrong brought before Judge Judy

Samuel

Enlightened
That's the reason I don't use Eprey/Epray - too many POS's like her and her husband out there. :mad: When Xbox first came out I remember seeing Ebay ads stating something along the lines of "Brand New Xbox box For Sale" - asking price was somewhere around $250.00 and there would be a picture of an Xbox (picture of the Xbox BOX) in the ad. POS's!

Also astounding to me was the seemingly "large" percentage of people on internet forums who would hasten to support that type of advertising/behavior, saying that it was the Buyer's fault for not reading more carefully, not paying closer attention, or not having common sense or intelligence... :rolleyes:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:Awsome: I haven't turned on my TV in a couple months, but I liked how JJ picked-up on the 4.90 Oz, and shoved.. Nevermind. Cool find, 3rd! :crackup:

Larry

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Samuel said:
That's the reason I don't use Eprey/Epray - too many POS's like her and her husband out there. :mad: When Xbox first came out I remember seeing Ebay ads stating something along the lines of "Brand New Xbox box For Sale" - asking price was somewhere around $250.00 and there would be a picture of an Xbox (picture of the Xbox BOX) in the ad. POS's!

Also astounding to me was the seemingly "large" percentage of people on internet forums who would hasten to support that type of advertising/behavior, saying that it was the Buyer's fault for not reading more carefully, not paying closer attention, or not having common sense or intelligence... :rolleyes:
I know these sorts of auctions are routinely invalidated as the eBay rules claim that the title must explicitly describe what is being sold. Saying "Xbox for sale" and throwing in the fine print "this is the Xbox box" would then be grounds for throwing out the auction.

SkinlessMonkey

Newly Enlightened
I use ebay a lot and I've had this happen to me. It really sucks and I'm glad to see at least one scammer put in their place.

JoshuaFl

Newly Enlightened
Samuel I think thats how a lot of people are. I wonder if those people supporting that type of advertisement would do so if it were them being scammed.

Its like people who have a slow driver in front of them in the fast lane, and they are thinking what an idiot.

But if its you driving slow in the fast lane you think of yourself as being careful or something :p

I think were all like that in a way.

Edit: Error producing link restored to plain text. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being able to get on one of the syndicated TV judge shows is a way of getting out of any financial liability as the judgement is paid by the show's producers. As a matter of fact the defendent can actually make money if they can show that the plaintiff is not due the full amount of the claim (a claim fund is established in the amount of the full claim; it's split according to the judgement.) As such, as a defendent in such a claim, it is advantageous to put up the ill manners of a Judge Judy along with the "Made for TV" decisions that may differ significantly from that of a real small claims court. Additionally, the show also pays for transportation and housing for both the defendent and the plaintiff.

3rd_shift said:
This is a YouTube video of an episode of Judge Judy that is as clear cut as any.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting that. I had wondered about how the show works. I wonder if judge Judy had her parental activities investigated as she threatened to do.

Brighteyez said:
Being able to get on one of the syndicated TV judge shows is a way of getting out of any financial liability as the judgement is paid by the show's producers. As a matter of fact the defendent can actually make money if they can show that the plaintiff is not due the full amount of the claim (a claim fund is established in the amount of the full claim; it's split according to the judgement.) As such, as a defendent in such a claim, it is advantageous to put up the ill manners of a Judge Judy along with the "Made for TV" decisions that may differ significantly from that of a real small claims court. Additionally, the show also pays for transportation and housing for both the defendent and the plaintiff.

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
being non USA citizen I dont understand one thing about these kind of TV programs: the TV judge ruled $500 against the blonde right? what legal value this fine has? How its enforced? or its just a funny TV show with idiots looking for their 15min of fame?

Pablo
PS: oops it seems brighteyes explained it :)

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "judge shows" are usually based on the laws in the state where they are filmed/judge has practiced... In the case of Judge Judy that is (I believe) California.

And, in the states, we have "small claims" courts where the two parties come to court--without attorneys. Typically, the current limits for small claims court is around $5,000 (may be $10,000) in California. And in the typical small claims cases you can only sue and collect for actual damages--not pain and suffering or punitive damages.

You can read the Ebay support thread--but basically, the Judge Judy producers search for interesting court cases around the country. When they find one, they offer both sides plane fare, food, and possibly hotel rooms to come and present their cases. Both sides then file with the court to dismiss their cases and have them tried by mutually agreed arbitration (Judge Judy).

The producers also have a fund of, say $5,000 (don't know the exact amount--and it may change based on the cases) available. If the case is thrown out, the two parties probably split the $5,000. If one party wins the maximum judgment (and it does not involve the return of property), then one party will get the $5,000 and the other party nothing (but--in real life, they would have had to pay the $5,000 to the winner out of their own pocket).

I believe that Judge Judy, under arbitration, has the ability to order a sheriff to manage the transfer of property and such. And anyone can refer a case to Child Protective Services (or equivalent) or to the local prosecutor for further action.

And, by the way, even though the case was for ~$500, Judge Judy (I believe) ordered a $5,000 judgment to account for the actual damages caused by the fraudulent feedback on the two women's ebay account.

By the way, signing to arbitration is every bit as enforceable through the court system (property liens, till taps--cash register emptying by the police in a store, etc.) as with a "real" judge... And with arbitration--typically there is no right to appeal a judgment (out here, many health insurance plans--if not all--mandate that you only use arbitration and wave a trial by jury with limitations in liability even if the service provider is horribly at fault). In those cases, you first have to go to court to break the arbitration agreement (required to get insurance in the first place), before you can sue in a "real" court (i.e., trial by jury).

Does this help those outside of the US?

-Bill

Last edited:

LA OZ

Enlightened
Haha this is classic. I hate people trying to take advantage of another this way. I was wondering what happened if the seller posted 4.9oz of photo to the bidder?

Also, why is it that the judge allowed to make all these defaming claims on the defendent's family and husband when she has no proof?

Also, she is prejudice "you may be weigh more but you are not smarter than my finger".:drool:

Last edited:

PEU

Flashlight Enthusiast
It helped BB thanks!

But now I understand why the blonde agreed to be on the show, by doing the scam she let us know that morale is not one of her high points, so in the same line why she would be ashamed to appear 10 minutes on national TV? After all, the show paid for all the expenses and even reinbursed the damaged party with the money...

Not exactly win-win for the blonde but close...

Pablo

lukus

Enlightened
Wow! If you were in the courtroom, how hard would it be to keep from slapping the smirk off the blonde? I guess I wouldn't make a good bailiff.

*SSSHHMACKKKKK*
(Judge Judy) "Bailiff! Control yourself!"