Anybody remember Tekna Lights?

jram67

Newly Enlightened
Back in the late 80's I had a light called a Tekna light, 2aa with a yellow polymer body and a black twist-on bezel. I remember at the time that catalogs like Campmor and REI were really pushing it as a lighter alternative to the minimag. The light kind of reminds me of some of the Pelican lights. Anybody know what happened to Tekna?

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
I remember some nice tekna keychains.. I have one all in plastic with 3v CR123A battery (mono-lith)...but I lost a small one with red led and metal body under plastic one...with 3 or 4 lr44 :(

Last edited:

Glen C

Enlightened
Welcome Jram. I still have a 4 AA orange Tekna light, suitable for diving as well. Not anywhere near as bright as what is available today

Danbo

Enlightened
I've still got the Tekna light(4 AA) that I bought back in the late 70s-early 80s. Thinking about sending it to Milky for some touchups. ;) :)

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
I had a Tekna 2x "N" flashlight. It was one of the brightest at the time, and light for backpacking. Definitely waterproof. I wonder what heppened to that light.

mosport

Enlightened
The original Tekna company specialized in polymer diving knives, flashlights and other related marine adventure gear. Unfortunately they went out of business in 1990, but Tektite ended up picking up the rights to their products and has been offering replacement parts and new lights from original Tekna drawings.

Tekna - Tektite history

Tektite Products

FrenchyLED, I remember that black plastic and bare metal red LED keychain! Back in the late 80's I wanted one after seeing it in a mail order catalog advertised as a star chart reading light. Sorry to hear it was lost, I'm still searching for one and would've really gotten a kick out of seeing pics!

blademan

Enlightened
I have a monolith and a splashlight. I modded the splashlight with a pr based supermjled and it's great.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I had more than one Tekna dive light in the eighties. They were single cell and twistie head. Not sure what the cell was, I can't find the lights. I do know the cells were expensive, like seven bucks a piece, and were about the size and shape of a CR123a.

They were great lights, much brigher than a MiniMag and easier on the pocket. I had one black and one yellow. In the 90's they both stopped working, but I put the head of one on the body of another and got some more years out of them.

I still have the lights, just not sure where. They will turn up one day, and I'll see what kind of cells they take. Then, if that cell isn't around the house, it will be obtained so the light may shine once again.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
mosport said:
FrenchyLED, I remember that black plastic and bare metal red LED keychain! Back in the late 80's I wanted one after seeing it in a mail order catalog advertised as a star chart reading light. Sorry to hear it was lost, I'm still searching for one and would've really gotten a kick out of seeing pics!

I find a thread in CPF about this light and pictures too :)

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=83730

teknaledone.jpg

cbdudley

Enlightened
I have one of the keychain LED lights and a 2AA incan model, plus a neck knife. I bought them back in the late 70s or early 80s. It was probably the very first LED light I ever owned.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an original Tekna Night Eye, I got it unused a couple years ago. I think it was one of the very first LED flashlights--uses a big red emitter behind an optic. Throws a very tight beam with no sidespill.

The metal sleeve over the body is solid titanium.

tekna.jpg

NCBlades

Newly Enlightened
I remember those old Tekna lights and knives. I had several of the knives. I think I only had one of the lights. They made some neat gadgets!
michael

DaveG

Enlightened
I have a 4-aa cell and a 8-aa cell,plus a 2-aa and 1-aa in yellow and black.Got them back in the early eighties?Good lights.

83Venture

Enlightened
Hey aggiegrads

I have that light (Tekna 2x "N" Micro-lite flashlight ) in my desk drawer at work, still works fine. Pretty big by todays standards but still going!

firefly99

Enlightened
jram67 said:
Back in the late 80's I had a light called a Tekna light, 2aa with a yellow polymer body and a black twist-on bezel. I remember at the time that catalogs like Campmor and REI were really pushing it as a lighter alternative to the minimag. The light kind of reminds me of some of the Pelican lights. Anybody know what happened to Tekna?
I had a 2AA in black which I get at the same time when I purchase my 1st 2AA Mag in the 80'
Remember under the tekna bezel on the body there is 2 slots on opposite sides for velcro strap.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
jram67 said:

I had several models of Tekna lights back then, and also a Tekna MicroKnife neck knife. Think I still have a black Tekna 2AA twisty head incan around here somewhere.

They were decent lights for their time. Lightweight, very robust, and completely waterproof. Mine survived many wet cave trips with no problems other than scratched up lenses.

Tekna went out of business quite a while back - something like fifteen years ago. Was sorry to see them fold, because their lights were quite good for their prices.