Wow. Study confirms what I already knew,College kids think they're so special

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Your subject is wrongfully generalizing "college kids". If it's just to get people to click on the article, it worked, however I don't think the article or the study goes to the extreme that you went to - and rightfully so, as it's not true.

Last edited by a moderator:

Illum

Flashaholic
college student here....ironically speaking, people I'm with in high school has more common sense than college students Im with today:ohgeez:

"regressive" progression :thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:

Greta

Flashaholic
jch79 said:
Your subject is wrongfully generalizing "college kids". If it's just to get people to click on the article, it worked, however I don't think the article or the study goes to the extreme that you went to - and rightfully so, as it's not true.

Hmmmm... :thinking: ... after reading the article, I have to agree with this. Maybe an edit of the thread title is in order? It's a bit "baiting" as stands. I've changed it with my post and have taken the liberty of changing it in the original post.

You're welcome... :D

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Thank you public education and modern parenting.

TopStrip.jpg

greenLED

Flashaholic
I'm not surprised at all, and it's not just the college kids: I see it every day in and in all sorts of social situations. Everything seems to revolve around "me" these days. :(

As data points out:
Datasaurusrex said:
Thank you public education and modern parenting.
One has to wonder where they're acquiring those behaviors.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
If you're going to blame public education, you should also blame the thing that's funding it... the public via the government!

Not to get too "into it", but if the $370 billion that has been spent on the war in Iraq was spent on, say, education, I think we might be in a situation where we'd have a chance that the people running the country aren't the people who had their way paved for them. :shrug:

As far as parenting - I can only imagine the struggles and challenges a parent has to face with dealing and trying to offset the pressures that are placed on children every day. Bless every one of your hearts. :thumbsup:

john :duck:

greenLED

Flashaholic
jch79 said:
As far as parenting - I can only imagine the struggles and challenges a parent has to face with dealing and trying to offset the pressures that are placed on children every day. Bless every one of your hearts. :thumbsup:
Absolutely. We always had a laugh at school gatherings. It was easy to link the poor behavior of some kids to the manner in which their parents conducted themselves with other adults. :(

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to share a thought that I saw on one of those post-cards from the late 60's that had various sayings/quotes on them.

"Those who complain about the current generation seem to have forgotten who raised them."

It was posted on the cash register of a store that was owned by a retired school teacher. (I'm sure she has since passed on now, if not, she's well over 100.)

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
These days, it may also be the result of inadequate social interaction. Sitting in front of a computer isn't exactly the best way to develop social skills. ;)

greenLED said:
It was easy to link the poor behavior of some kids to the manner in which their parents conducted themselves with other adults. :(

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
Funding of public education is not the problem. You can't solve the systemic issues of public education by throwing more money into the current system.

If we gave public education 1/2 of 370 billion, we'd have even greater problems imho.

Datasaurusrex

Enlightened
greenLED said:
I'm not surprised at all, and it's not just the college kids: I see it every day in and in all sorts of social situations. Everything seems to revolve around "me" these days. :(

As data points out:
One has to wonder where they're acquiring those behaviors.

Hmm, Fall out from: the 1960s, Dr, Spock, modern feminism, liberal/leftist power structure within educational facilities, unfettered immigration without assimilation, rampant consumerism and materialism, etc. And it isn't getting better imho.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Brighteyez said:
Sitting in front of a computer isn't exactly the best way to develop social skills. ;)
You got that one right! :lolsign:

The PE teacher at our kids' school always complains that the only "real" interaction kids get with their peers is in his class. Not much time for learning social interaction. :(

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
Brighteyez said:
These days, it may also be the result of inadequate social interaction. Sitting in front of a computer isn't exactly the best way to develop social skills. ;)

I believe theres an overdose of social interaction causing competition to fluctuate between positive [school encouragement] and negative [peer group induced] aspects...

Specialty becomes a competition through this:ohgeez:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Imagine my shock when I found out that PE isn't even mandatory anymore in many schools. While it is understood that back in days of old (when I was young :( ) the mandatory PE was necessary to prepare young males for conscription into the military, I can't understand why it is optional these days, unless it because of the 'volunteer' military services. Perhaps they don't want to negate the effects of the prepared foods that are consumed, or the increased liability from kids getting injured are a factor.

greenLED said:
The PE teacher at our kids' school always complains that the only "real" interaction kids get with their peers is in his class. Not much time for learning social interaction. :(

Greta

Flashaholic
I heard a couple of guys on a local radio talk show yesterday talking about this new drug that has come out to "replace" ritalin for kids with ADHD. They were saying that when they were in grammar school, if they had attention deficit and/or got hyper, the teacher smacked them upside the head, their ears rang for a week... and the teacher had their undivided, CALM attention for the rest of the year... :D

Nowadays... corporal punishment=amphetamines... :shakehead