My fellow CPFers'. Are we getting silly when it comes to flashlight size?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say I think so. A while back I read a comment here in some thread where a member stated that they thought the G2 was "too big." I got a chuckle out of that. I just got around to posting about this subject though. I think its funny that people think a light the size of a G2 is large in any way. Of course its matter of opinion, but I think us CPFers get a little carried away with how small our lights gotta be. I carry my C2 clipped in my front pocket and it doesn't bother me a bit. I don't even notice it really. Oh well. Thats' just my 2 cents....

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes i think we are WAY to pickey. i edc a A2 in a john willis pouch, but on the weekends or when i am doing some serios busnis i carry my L5 with SW02 on it and find it alsmot the perfect size for real use and not just playing around with it.

iceman

Newly Enlightened
Good thing you brought up this topic. I have an A2 and sometimes I feel that this is a bit big, but with the quality of this light, I sometimes think its all worth it. I really like to edc a one battery light since I carry a knife and a kubaton. To each his own... i suppose.:)

Manzerick

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know Kdog (my nickname also but spelled "KDogg" BTW ) You're on to something here!

I know I don't mind a 2+ cell torch but... as of late find myself looking for the most bang in a small package! With the new super LED's my excitment takes over and for example, the Rexlight 2.0 is amazing in my eyes!

Don't get me wrong, I still lov my M4 and will always buy large torches, it just seems as of late my preference has been "size and might" :)

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
iceman said:
Good thing you brought up this topic. I have an A2 and sometimes I feel that this is a bit big, but with the quality of this light, I sometimes think its all worth it. I really like to edc a one battery light since I carry a knife and a kubaton. To each his own... i suppose.:)

what you need to reduce the load you carry is a flashlight that is also a kubaton.

wait, someone already did this (streamlight?).

but wait again, they stopped making and selling it.

don't know why really. though maybe one could find a used one.

plus maybe the light wasn't a very good one. But then one of the Inova T's would probably serve as a kind of kubaton while being a decent light?

Spydie

Newly Enlightened
Tell me about it! I remember a long time ago seeing a thread where some members were talking about torch sizes and someone commented on how the HDS EDC was too bulky. I still haven't been able to figure that one out :thinking: .

Either way, as a kid I used to EDC a mini-mag, so I'm used to non-micro lights and prefer my HDS with the 2 x 123 tube, or even my 6Ps.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised the G2 would be considered too large, I have held on and it is diminutive (spl?). And for the output it gives it totally beats a mag in size to output, runtime is another story, but I bet the same end result comes up, the G2 is not big and it has more power than most people ever need.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll go against the grain and say, no, it's not silly to want smaller lights. It's all a matter of personal preference, nothing more. I fully understand a larger reflector is generally needed for the best throw, and a larger barrel is needed for more power or runtime. That's fine if it's what you like or need. I just happen to like smaller more pocketable lights more. If they can be made yet smaller and brighter then I'm even happier.

Geoff

scubasteve1942

Enlightened
I EDC my G2. I like the way that size light fits in my hand comparred to something like a fenix L1T. Although I might take a look at the new surefire L1 or the new Novatac thats comming out to possibly replace the G2 as a EDC.

supes

Enlightened
I also agree with Flying_Turtle. I think a lot of the lights we use, we want to EDC. It is much better and easier for us to have them in as small as a size as possible. The G2 is not too big in terms of a light where I just need to grab to use but in terms of EDC, it is a little too big in length and diameter for pocket carrying comfortably IMHO. I wish I could carry a G2 or M3 in my pocket with having the discomfort of a metal pipe on my leg. Mostly just a matter of preference and what one can tolerate.

TorchMan

Enlightened
It's just a matter of preference. I feel the need for several sizes. I carry a 2 CR123 in holster. Last six plus months, it's been the Gladius. Prior to that it was the U2 for around six months.

Lights the size of the LionCub/Chameleon, HDS U60, PDIII, etc., are great in-pocket lights. Any smaller is not optimal for my hands.

The Orb Raw and Raw NS are tiny, and make excellent in-pocket backup lights. If I was gonna wear a light around my neck, it'd be these.

My size tolerance has changed since coming to CPF. The Inova T4 seems a bit big, even in it's Kubotan holster. Kinda rubs into my side. Still like the light. The Streamligh TL-3 is just too big for pocket comfort, especially with the bezel. It throws well, but it's not comfy to me. Haven't tried it in holster yet.

As to the G2 comment, I once thought I lost my G2, not long after purchasing it. I looked everywhere several times and became frustrated after the fourth go round. Had to go and reached for my keys. Guess what was in my pocket? :ohgeez: So no, I don't think it's too big!

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
I think its funny that people think a light the size of a G2 is large in any way. Of course its matter of opinion, but I think us CPFers get a little carried away with how small our lights gotta be.

G2 is a nice size to carry and feels nice in my hand.

I don't like general purpose lights smaller than about 4 to 4.5 inches, depending on the design.

Lights smaller than that have ergonomics that are not ideal for me, and are not easy for me to use.

Keychain lights are another matter. I don't expect much in the way of ergonomics or ease of use from a tiny keychain light. Just happy to have a light in my pocket for when I need it.

tomcat017

Enlightened
I suppose I have the opposite problem. Granted, there are times when a small EDC or belt ligth is really handy. But for the most part, I feel that for a flashlight to be truly utilitarian, it should have additional uses--you know--door knocker, club, battering ram, etc.... I love my big torches :grin2: .

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
if size wasnt part of the issue, we would all still be hauling around 3D Mags :)
one of the cool changes, is having the same Runtime, same output, same functional usage all around, and having that fit in your pocket, instead of trunk.

i hope they keep getting smaller, and more powerfull, untill its key sized, has 500W light output, and runs for 10 years on its nuclear battery :) with levels of course, no use wasting.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the idea on super small lights beyond the coolness factor is just that it's only useful if you have it on you when you need it, and for a lot of people in a lot of situations, a great big pipe of a light is either unwanted, impractical or illegal as a potential weapon. Are you going to carry a 3D Maglite to a wedding? Good luck getting one past security at the House of Blues.

That being said, I just found one of my G2s today, after losing it for 6 months.... on my desk. This has led me to two conclusions -- the G2 is not too big, and I need to clean up my desk!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what You mean with "too long"

I for myself am searching for some hosts for a Cree/SSC + 18650 light,
and mostly all I came around feature totally useless thick sidewalls and even more useless strike bezels and unnecessary long tailcaps, all leading to too long / too thick lights.
Thats why in the end I came to use my old SF 6P for this mod (and use the other hosts for friends).

So its not overall "too long" I am concerned, but its "too long as necessary to hold all parts for a working light together".

PS: but it would be great to have a multilevel (!) SF E2E sized 500 lumen light, cool running for 5 hours at max, automaticly using spot or flood -> depending on what will be needed
;)

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Someone over on the Amilite T5 thread said it was "HUGE". It is less than 4 inches long!