Nuwali 3W 3C , killing batteries when off.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had mentioned before, if you ever saw me mention it, that my Nuwali 3W 3C light was Sucking down batterys when OFF.
i measures the draw at 65ma, today i measured it again at some 230ma.

NOW i know why:
Completly disgusted with it depleating batterys, i decided it was time to just Mod it to death.
i opened it up, which was easy to do (thank the flashlight gods)
and inside one of the transister things, was charred, when i scrapped a pointer across it, it crumbled.
for some reason after few hours of actual on time, and about a year of existing , the curcuit junk had failed miserably.

I wanted to point that out, because it might not have ANYTHING to do with the PROPER operation of it. the electronics were failing internally. that might not happen EVER, with any other nuwali 3W 3C, MINE specifically had a problem. and my report of its curcuit using THAT MUCH power when off, might not have anything to do with yours.
Mine had a problem.

it was not ever dropped hard, submerged, it didnt get coffee in it, i never used anything other than Alkalines, i had never dissasembled it. there was no USER reason that it would happen that i can think of.

After discovering what was causing the battery discharge, i did MOD it to death, put a cree in, and resister drive it with a 2 level switch, and all that other good stuff, so its now back to completly functional, and not draining batterys.

for you Cree modders, the reflector in mine was a GREAT reflector for a cree, it has some orangepeel surface., and the setup of the light made cree star changover very easy.

Last edited: