Suggestions on home stereo

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
Ok fellas I have a old scott reciever pumping out a massive 60watt per channel :laughing: going to a old sansui 3way floor speaker The other was attacked by my cat a few years back :rant: I am looking to replace this setup with two new speakers to start with My old reciever is still in pretty good shape and should push a new pair of speakers pretty good. Eventually I want to get a new reciever with a digital input so I can play song's from my computer. I don't have a clue who makes good stuff and who makes crap as far as the speaker's go I would like floor standing with a sub mid and tweeter built in. as I said my old setup is a 3-way sansui rated for 80 watt's I liked this setup when I had both speakers it sounded damn good I like to feel my music almost as much as I like to hear it :naughty: so what would be a good brand and good features to look for in a set of speakers my budget I want to spend is 250$ but I will go to 350$ or so if it is going to be a huge difference but I figure speakers comparable to mine should not be more then 250$

As for the receiver I don't really need 5.1 channel surround as I don't watch many movies and music sounds just fine on a standard stereo receiver. I need it to be able to take digital input from my computer be able to support a turntable tape deck and equlizer. My old receiver is only 60watt per channel I am not sure what the new stuff is rated for but I know my setup was top of the line when my father bought it lol Thanks fellas

CLHC

Flashaholic
Have not kept up with the HiFi(s) in a looong looong time now. . .For speakers, I remember the Speaker Labs (based out of Washington state U.S.) were up there in amazing sound quality and reasonable price. There's also Spendors(sp?), Magnate(sp?) and Apogee, if they're still around.

Hope you find what you're looking for and Enjoy!

analogguy

Enlightened
I believe that Speaker Labs is still in business and that Spendor and Magneplanar are very much alive. Apogee is long gone. I would think about buying used. A good site is called Audiogon.com

jefft

Enlightened
Another + for audiogon.com. Vast majority of my current rig purchased from their classifieds. Gotta get out and listen to see what you like, though.

Mudd Magnet

Newly Enlightened
lol yea this stuff is pretty old school, most everybody is into 7+ channles of crap sounding setup's. I walked into the futureshop near me to have a look and I asked the guy in there abought a decent set of 3-way floor standing speakers with a stereo reciever and a equlizer. His first word was what do you want that for I got this sweet 5 channle surround sound system right here on sale for 220$ it'll blow any old setup like that away. It's got a digital equlizer built in (bass boster is what it was) and a bunch of other crap :ohgeez:I walked out laughing.

Then I thought crap these people are good at getting mony from idiot's My grandfather spent 1800$ on some surround sound set up and it sound's like crap. He was told it was all top of the line but it sound's only a bit better then my buddies 400$ surround sound set up from best-buy.

Thanks For the link lot's of neat stuff there I will consider a used set up as long as it is in good shape. What are some stuff to look for on the spec's or is there a sight out there that will tell me most of what I am looking for? Thanks for the help and I'll look into the speaker lab's equiptment Thanks

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
No one makes quality stereo stuff in normal price ranges anymore, period. If you actually care about sound quality, as opposed to home theater or that kind of thing, go with used equipment to keep it within your price range. Especially speakers--$300 will buy you a pair that cost $1200 15 years ago. Technology hasn't changed in the interim time period.

I'd recommend used Polks, personally. They've fallen in value a lot for no real reason, so you can score some amazing deals. I'd look into getting Monitor 10s or 12s, RTA-11s or 15s, or smaller SDA models like the SDA2b. These are true audiophile loudspeakers. I have a pair of RTA-11t's that will reproduce everything but the lowest notes of a pipe organ and they don't take up much floor space. Driven with a 40W amplifier, although they'd sound better with more power.

But there are lots of options out there. $350 goes a long, long way. Old JBL, Pioneer, AR, Altec, DCM, Klipsch, the list goes on. If you were closer I have a pair of Klipsch KG4s I'm trying to find a home for.

As far as recievers, new ones are even worse than new cheap speakers are. The Scott you have is probably pretty good if it's older than the '80s, and 60W/channel is actually quite powerful. With good speakers you can deafen yourself before the music starts to distort. Pre-80s Pioneers, Yamahas, Sansuis, Technics, etc are excellent. For newer recievers try NAD for good value.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok.

1. I'd advise against floor standing. Main reason is that ideal placement of your bass drivers (subwoofer) in your room is almost never the same as your mains. Reason #2 is you get better drivers for your money in a smaller speaker.

2. Audiogon, craigslist and ebay are your friends

3. There are some highly regarded internet-only speakers to consider. www.av123.com's Rockets are one of the better ones, but kinda outside your budget.

4. Speakers sound different in the store than they do in your house. I dont' find listening to stuff in the store massively relevant.

5. The receiver isn't as important as the speakers in this price range. Spend as much of your budget on speakers as possible. You can get a decent receiver for $200 new or less used. Look for deals on 5.1 receivers that nobody wants anymore.

6. Consider watt ratings on receivers and speakers meaningless. Ignore them at all costs.

I would recommend finding a good 2-way bookshelf speaker. If you need more bass add a sub later.

What would I recommend? One of the best mid-fi speaker makers is in Ontario, CA - www.paradigm.ca . I would get the best set of Paradigms you can afford, and I bet you'll love them. Monitors or Mini-Monitors (v2 or v3) are probably in your price range.

IMHO you get less for your money with the current Paradigm lines. The newest Monitor series is not as well constructed as the v3s. I have v2 Reference Paradigms, and the v3s weren't made as well. I'd recommend finding a nice used set.

Last edited:

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
The Scott you have is probably pretty good if it's older than the '80s

ie - if it's black it's crap.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mudd Magnet said:
What are some stuff to look for on the spec's or is there a sight out there that will tell me most of what I am looking for?

Ignore most specs. Some interesting specs would be "How many inputs does the receiver have?" or "Are the drivers made out of paper or something that is actually worth paying for?". At your price range heavier stuff -might- equal better stuff.

Don't buy anything with a slider equalizer.

Sites to check out:

www.avsforum.com
www.hometheaterforum.com

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
'80s silver can be crap, too. And black stuff from companies like Nakamichi, SAE, Phase Linear, etc are excellent. All about the details.

I'm not personally a believer in subwoofers for 2-channel systems. I like being able to have stereo imaging for the bass as well, as well as a much more direct path for the sound to follow.

Craigslist is the greatest thing on the planet if you take your time looking for deals. I got a huge set of vintage McIntosh speakers for $225 that will walk a house off the foundation once you start running a few hundred honest watts through them. Another guy on a board I'm on scored a complete Pioneer SPEC rack system for $100.

If you're interested in a board that has a regard for sound, check out www.audiokarma.org

Also, there are many specs that are important. Watts (these days--in the past they were closer) is not one of them. For loudspeakers an important one (right up there with frequency response) is efficiency. You can have two speakers the same size but one will sound much better and more alive because it's doing more with the power you have. If you have a massive amplifier you can throw that out the window, but it's important.

Some of the greatest loudspeakers ever made were paper, and some still are. Again it's a matter of what sounds best. McIntosh used treated paper until the marketing department switched to synthetic materials. The sound quality took a nose dive until they changed the systems to make up for the shortcomings.

For amplifiers/receivers look at total harmonic distortion, dampening factor, noise flood, etc. But in the end the only thing that matters is how it sounds to you.

Last edited:

Monolith

Enlightened
I only do two channel, but audio is several orders of magnitude more expensive than flashlights.

Posts some pics of your equipment if you can and model numbers and what you're using for speaker wire, etc. Also, what is the size and layout of your room?

TiberiusBeeKirk

Newly Enlightened
Buy used, hit some pawn shops in your area.
I've found some great finds at Saturday Audio. And check the local repair shops in your area, sometimes they have unclaimed stuff for sale.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
ABTOMAT said:
'80s silver can be crap, too. And black stuff from companies like Nakamichi, SAE, Phase Linear, etc are excellent. All about the details.

Sure, I meant a black Scott receiver is probably crap.

nazgul

Newly Enlightened
I would spend more on the front end (CD transport/Turntable)- which is where the music information is gathered. Some of the older gear sounds great. You might want to look at some powered (active) monitors instead. Genelec or Tapco are some to investigate. The active monitors have an amplifier built into the cabinet, so the combo was actually designed as a single piece. So there isnt a question of the synergy of the speaker and amplifier.

Forget reading about specs and ratings. You have to trust your ears. Is there sound coming from the speakers or is there music in the room? Does the music make you want to get up and dance? If so, you have found the right piece of gear.

Get rid of the cat. Pets, small children and audio gear do not mix.

If you want to listen to vinyl, you have to get a unit that has a phono section in the preamp or you have to get an outboard phono stage.

I would go to a local high end audio shop and have an audition of some entry level gear. You are in for a shock.

gjg

Enlightened
MM:
Mike has some good points here. Spend as MUCH as you can on your new speaks. Bass is nice, but at the money you're looking at spending the bass is likely to be one-note and boomy. Go with bookshelf speakers on stands, or a SMALLER floorstander, no bigger than a 8" woofer. You won't "feel" the music as much, but you'll enjoy it more. I'm running 70 watts per side (tubes, tho) into 7" woofer 2-way floorstanders, and not missing much. Try listening to a pair of Paradigms if you can, their smaller speakers (Atoms, Monitors or Mini-Monitors) are great for the money.

Try keeping the Scott if you can. The 60 watts are a strong 60, as Abtomat mentioned. Spend a little and get some heavier speaker wire. If you want to save 30-50% on most things, look on Audiogon. Check the feedback on anybody you'd consider buying from, just like on CPF. I've bought/sold probably 5K of stuff on the 'gon, and never had an issue.

http://www.audiokarma.org/ IS a great resource on classic/retro gear. Post a question on your speaker tastes, they will come up with suggestions. And if you buy new speaks, and they sound like S*** in your house, just take them back. What sound fine in a big room at Best Buy may sound boomy or loose in a smaller room. Go to 4-5 different stores and listen to music that YOU brought and know. Let your ears be the judge.

One final caution - this can get WAY more expensive and addicting than lights... but it IS a lot of fun. :naughty:
Greg

dammitjim said:
1. I'd advise against floor standing. Main reason is that ideal placement of your bass drivers (subwoofer) in your room is almost never the same as your mains. Reason #2 is you get better drivers for your money in a smaller speaker.

2. Audiogon, craigslist and ebay are your friends

5. The receiver isn't as important as the speakers in this price range. Spend as much of your budget on speakers as possible. You can get a decent receiver for $200 new or less used. Look for deals on 5.1 receivers that nobody wants anymore.

6. Consider watt ratings on receivers and speakers meaningless. Ignore them at all costs.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I fairly recently did some looking around online for a setup for my dad's office and here is what I found (based on reviews):

Speakers
Paradigm Mini Monitor speakers, ~$380/pair

Receiver
NAD C720BEE (50w/ch), $600

CD Player
NAD C525BEE, ~$300

I'd also look at Now Hear This (NHT) speakers. Their bookshelf speakers are very well regarded.

Another couple of things to look at are the Onkyo receivers to get the digital input. It looks like the TX-SR604 (~$400) is getting good feedback with it's HDMI capability, although you can probably go a step down if you don't want to handle video.

Another item to look at is the Oppo DV-981HD DVD player ($230). It is a DVD player, but handles advanced audio formats like DVD Audio and SACD in addition to MP3, CD, HDCD, etc. It has digital out both via HDMI and S/PDIF.

The Onkyo and Oppo would make a great pair. Add a HDCP compliant video display and you got a killer DVD as well.

-john

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
nazgul said:
I would spend more on the front end (CD transport/Turntable)

His budget is only a few hundred dollars for speakers. If he spends more on the front end he'll have to shop at Radio Shack for speakers.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another option to consider is building your own. www.partsexpress.com sells alot of drivers and they have some pre-cut cabinet kits that are easy to assemble.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's absolutely no point in getting new speakers unless you really feel like you need a return policy. A highly regarded used pair is unlikely to dissapoint you unless your room has weird geometry. And you also won't lose money when you sell them in the future, unlike new speakers which will depreciate into nothing in a few years.

Just to show what buying used can get you, this is my current temporary system. I'm using it until I can finish repairing the McIntosh speakers and get a more powerful amp. For everything you see in the photo my investment is under $200. It would be good for a few thousand when new. The speakers were only $65, originally $950.

sys1.jpg

Latest posts