SAM'S HID Question

SHINESHINE

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

Wanted to know if the Sam's HID came precharged or how long you have to charge it the first time you open the box because I think I just read a post (but cant find it now) that someone charged it brand new out of box and was having problems because he charged it?

Also, any tips to keep the battery/bulb to last longer over time.

Thanks

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont know about the pre-charge but to keep the bulb lasting longer it's best not to turn it on again until it's cooled down fromn the previous use. Dont flip it off and on repeatedly. And If you do turn it on keep it on for a few minutes.

Shane

SHINESHINE

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the tip..i guess ill just read the instructions when i get it.

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It *should* already have a decent charge. You should also charge it before using. I think it says to do so in the instructions, too. Those run off of sealed lead-acid batteries, which need to be maintained periodically. It's just like a car battery, where if you let it sit and the battery runs down (self discharge), it won't take a charge anymore if it sits for too long. Not keeping a charge in it will damage it by lessing its capacity. Therefore, it needs to reach the consumer with a decent charge or it may be D.O.A. It should be charged before it's first use and immediately after using it. Also, if it is not used for long periods of time, it should still be charged every few months, in order to keep the battery functioning well.

SHINESHINE

Newly Enlightened
well i just got it and opened it up.. turned it on and it turned on within seconds..and got brighter....had it on for like 6 minutes..turned it off and put it back on charge..wow..very nice..brightest light i've ever owned.

very happy with the purchase.

i dont see any instruction manual in the box..

will the light work while charging or does it have to be unplugged..i know silly question but just asking anyways:)

thanks

oregon

Enlightened
SHINESHINE said:
well i just got it

Where did you purchase it and how much was it? I 've read that the price has dropped from $100 to $75.

oregon

SHINESHINE

Newly Enlightened
oregon said:
Where did you purchase it and how much was it? I 've read that the price has dropped from $100 to $75.

oregon

Got it @ sams irlo hwy..they have 40 available and it was still $98...

All the other sams close to me are OOS..

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems from what i've read to be a good light, i LOVE HID's. I just got a set of the factory optional HID housings, ballasts and bulbs for my car and it's the greatest thing.

Shane

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine came probably 80% charged. So I played with it a bit before putting it on the charger. It's already come in really handy several times working in the attic and climbing ladders after dark up to a leaky roof one evening. So I am thrilled with it.

The reason it wont run while charging is that the charger doesn't put out nearly enough power to run the light, so it would probably just burn out the fuse in the transformer (if it even has a fuse) if they hadn't disabled it when you plugged in the charger. If it had a power supply that could provide enough power to run the lamp and charge the battery there is no reason it couldn't do both, but it was designed for those little trickle chargers rather than being an optional plug in lamp.

This is my first HID light, and I'm just absolutely thrilled with it! I just priced them at my local sams last week. They have actually sold a few, still half a pallet left (sharing a space with half a pallet of those crank chargeable CF lantern things. I bought one of those a while back too, pretty neat.) and they have not lowered the price.

max52

Newly Enlightened
I asssume people know that the Sam's Club HID is now on the Sam's Club Auction site. Although I did not really want one I got one for $38. There are quite a few listed. The winning price may decrease.

Latest posts