Black Moon LTD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed w Maglite 2D. Any quick upgrades?

Default Disappointed w Maglite 2D. Any quick upgrades?

Searching doesn't work for this topic: can't search on "2D" because it's too short of a search term. Can't search on maglight because, for some reason, people don't spell it out. Ends up being M@g, M*g, etc. Makes it difficult to search for!

Anyway, bought a 2D yesterday, my first real maglite. After using a streamlight TL-3 for the past couple of years, I was extremely disappointed. I didn't expect it to be as bright as my TL-3 or my PT Surge, but I didn't think the beam quality would be so poor.

I'm not interested in soldering, sanding, or electronics modifications. But, is there any drop-in bulb, reflector, other that will give a little boost to this flashlight?

Thanks.

Default Re: Disappointed w Maglite 2D. Any quick upgrades?

Look here:

http://www.powerleds.de/shop/product...e-2D---2C.html

It's a regulated Seoul Replacement with 100 lumens.

Greetings.

***Edit*** Powerleds.de (David) is a CPF-member )
    Last edited by blitzlicht65; 03-02-2007 at 09:34 AM.
    Dirk

Flashaholic*

Easy 2D upgrade..

Try the "Roar of the Pelican" first. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120462

No soldering needed unless you want a little bit better performance.

I have a 4 D, 3D, 2D, and 2C mag... I plan on some day maybe modding a few but I'm too poor...

I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the mag. And using the stock form of the mag for many tasks works just fine, it just doesn't impress anyone...

I've found that a 2D mag with a pair of 10,000MAH NIMH cells will run for over 12 hours before the output drops significantly. This is a GREAT utility light with NIMH in it. You could use this thing all night in a power outage. A simple LED drop-in like a SMJLED would increase runtime dramatically. while improving the beam at the same time.

For a quick brightness boost you could replace the 2 cell bulb with a 5 cell krypton Maglite bulb and run it on 3 CR123A lithium batteries. You would need to wrap the 3 battery stack with some foam or bubble wrap to keep them centered and from rattling inside the battery tube.

A 1 inch diameter disc of mat finish "invisible gift wrap tape" stuck on the center of the lens can help tame the beam nastiness.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not interested in LED, plus it's a 40 Euro mod (~$54 USD). Yikes!

Don't want a mod that required CR123. Batteries are just too expensive.

The ROP is also fairly expensive at $65+, but it sounds promising ... if you could actually do it!

6AA to 2D battery holder -- out of stock.
    Cammed reflector of any kind (LOP, HS, etc.) -- out of stock.
    Camless reflector of any kinds for use with ROP -- out of stock.
    Borofloat lens -- out of stock
    CBP1650 (recommended battery) -- out of stock

See a pattern here?!? Now, the 8AA to 2D adaptor is in stock at the sandwich shoppe and there are other NiMH. FiveMega, Modamag, and the others seem to be out of business or at least dormant.

Show me where to buy, and I'll try it!

Quote Originally Posted by 67L48
    6AA to 2D battery holder -- out of stock.
    Camless reflector of any kinds for use with ROP -- out of stock.
    Wow that was quick because I just ordered all my stuff last week.

Flashaholic

6AA to 2D battery holder -- out of stock
    2 x#16. 3AA to 1D Battery Holder
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119033

Camless reflector of any kinds for use with ROP -- out of stock
    fivemega dual function reflector
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150395

The AAs don't have to be CBP1650s

Just need the lamp now (shame fivemega has sold out), or try lighthound.com:
    http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?...OD&ProdID=1070

Edit: reports no stock if add to cart so try:
    http://www.action-lights.com/flashli...les.asp?bhcp=1

from fivemega http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150826
    or from lighthound (listed as additional products with the lamp)

Even easier upgrade is 2 x 3aa-d and a 5 or 6 cell Maglight lamp cost - approx $12

Hope these helped
    Last edited by robm; 03-02-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Flashaholic*

If you're willing to buy some AA NiMH batteries and a charger, some Mag Xenon bulbs, and get the battery adapters that robm listed at
    http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119033 you can have a pretty easy project.
    Insert 6 full charged AA NiMH batteries, replace the 2 cell krypton bulb with a 5 cell Xenon bulb, and you'll have a low cost light that is much brighter than your TL-3 or PT Surge. You can worry about changing the reflector and lens when it's convenient if you want, or you can just use it as-is. And best of all, if you decide that you can't stand the brightness, you can always put the 2 cell bulb back in, put 2 D batteries in the light and go back to it's original configuration.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not interested in LED, plus it's a 40 Euro mod (~$54 USD). Yikes!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by blitzlicht65
    http://www.powerleds.de/shop/product...e-2D---2C.html

It's a regulated Seoul Replacement with 100 lumens.
    Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by robm
    2 x#16. 3AA to 1D Battery Holder
    In some of the instruction-based posts, it is recommended not to use two 3AA/1D adaptors in series -- only use a 6AA/2D adaptor. Any truth to this? Would it be better to just get a 8AA/2D adaptor from sandwich shoppe and use two dummy cells? Definitely more expensive this way.

fivemega dual function reflector
    Perfect!

The AAs don't have to be CBP1650s
    Yeah, I know. There are other batteries out there. It's just the one that get's recommended 99.999% of the time in ROP posts and it was just ironic that it, too, was out of stock at the usual places.

Looks like the lamp is available at a bunch of sites online with varying prices and shipping. I also found out, as did you, that the lamp is out at lighthound, but did finally notice that the lens was there. Ironically, they list flashlightlens.com as their source, yet the lens is sold out at flashlightlens.com!

Thanks.

Flashaholic

In some of the instruction-based posts, it is recommended not to use two 3AA/1D adaptors in series -- only use a 6AA/2D adaptor. Any truth to this?
    I can only assume that this is because 2 x 3aa/d adapters are likely to have more resistance that a single 6aa/d adapter (more connections). This becomes more significant at the higher voltage levels - Mag85 etc.
    My thinking is that if it works, and is good enough for Electorlumens (the Tesla came with 2 3aa/d adapters - albeit a bit different to the Litemania ones) - then they are good enough for me

Oh and I think it may have been me that ordered the last ones from flashlightlens.com

Flashaholic*

What exactly are you trying to achieve? Something that is brighter, or do you want to go all the way and build a ROP? If you're going to build a full-fleged ROP, you can get the components specified as long as you're willing to part with the funds.

If you're reluctant to spend the money to go with the higher priced components, the adapters from Litemania are a workable option for the time being.

The 8AA to 2D adapter may or may not work depending upon the batteries that you're using.

In some of the instruction-based posts, it is recommended not to use two 3AA/1D adaptors in series -- only use a 6AA/2D adaptor. Any truth to this? Would it be better to just get a 8AA/2D adaptor from sandwich shoppe and use two dummy cells? Definitely more expensive this way.

I use the Litemania 3AAto1D carriers in a low ROP 2D mag and a 5D magnum star bulb 2D mag with no problems,they are fine lights.I did the resistance fixes on the springs,it made a difference on the ROP.You simply cant go wrong at that price on the carriers,be sure to get four because you will want some more in the future.

Flashaholic*

Indeed be sure that you get extras. If you reverse them they're easy to damage. I'd suggest 5 as a minimum for each light. 2 in the light, 2 spares or for a quick battery change, and one to break.

Quote Originally Posted by moontroll
    be sure to get four because you will want some more in the future.

>>I've found that a 2D mag with a pair of 10,000MAH NIMH cells will run for over 12 hours before the output drops significantly.

+1 for this. Alkalines just don't cut it driving incandescents.
    Either get one of Mad Maxabeam's battery packs and a charger (that's the ideal solution) and go the ROP route (see if he has any 2700 mAH packs, they're ideal for ROP low), or get a couple of good NiMH D cells and a charger.

My most used light right now is a 2D with 6xAA welded battery pack from MadMaxabeam and ROP low output bulb. It also has a FiveMega cammed MOP reflector and borofloat lens (FiveMega has both in stock) but you can get by without them if you don't leave it running for too long.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing...

Banned

A very quick upgrade is one of the Dorcy xenon bulbs for 2 cell lights. The .93A bulb. Much better than the stock bulb. I have used them in two C and two D lights for awhile now. I have a two D I'm using one in right now. To buy all that magmod crap and then have to deal with it.. and buy a decent charger.., I might as well buy a Surefire instead, and I did.. I've seen the Dorcy bulbs at Sears only.

I can only assume that this is because 2 x 3aa/d adapters are likely to have more resistance that a single 6aa/d adapter (more connections). This becomes more significant at the higher voltage levels - Mag85 etc.-robm
    unfortunately you have it backwards. Using multiple carriers does increase resistance, (that part is right), but the effect of the higher resistance is more profound on lights that are high current by comparison.

A mag85 would actually be less effected by resistance problems than an ROP because the ROP is a lower voltage, higher current bulb. There was some great discussion on this in the mag switch mod instructions... showing the effects of the mod on various bulbs.

Flashaholic

Doh - my bad!
    I actually meant higher output in general (which sometimes is also higher current), rather than voltage, and picked a bad example with the Mag85.

While I am being lazy - do you have a link to the switch mod discussion - you got me interested now
    Last edited by robm; 03-03-2007 at 02:42 AM.

OK, here's my summation on cost (including s/h):

Lamp (action-lights.com): $12.09
    Reflector (fivemega): $32.50
    Lens (lighthound.com): $11.05
    Two 3AA to 1D (Litemania): $11.00
    8 Eneloop 2000 batteries + 4-cell charger (Amazon): $40 (liked the idea of a LSD battery, since this flashlight will be in my truck most of the time)

Total ROP: $104.64

Obviously, people already "in the game" will have batteries and chargers, so the cost comes back down to a more respectable ~$65 for them.

I bought my copper 2D maglight from Target for $14+, so add that to the cost and a turn-key ROP is around $120.

I may sit on my hands and do the simple 5/6-cell lamp + Alkaline AA batteries. Maybe I'll buy in pieces over time, defraying the cost over several months of income and then still have a great flashlight by the prime camping season.
    Last edited by 67L48; 03-03-2007 at 05:18 PM.

The other approach to consider is using AW's protected lithium cells. From the following thread, you would need :

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=140362&page=1

- 2 protected 18650s x $12 ea
    - 1 charger x $15
    - bulb -- either the ROP low or 5/6 cell mag
    - any kind of tube or wrap to keep the batteries centered
    -access to pliers/cutters and safety glasses to bend or trim about 10mm off the tailcap spring

I'm not sure if you need a spacer or button between the batteries -- anyone ?

You can add reflector and lens later -- just either go with the Mag bulb or don't run the ROP bulb for too long. There was a recent thread with a couple of people who did this. The results should be on a par with the 6 cell AA route plus the ultimate in low self discharge.

I'm thinking of doing this with a couple of 18500s (same length as a C) in a Mag 2C for my car light.
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-03-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Flashaholic

You can get the ROP lamps at lighthound too. They're cheaper there and you'll save the shipping.

Here are some more reflectors HS and MS in stock with a sale on the MS. These are camless so you'll need shims for focusing. Reflectors

I just realized that nobody has mentioned Mag's own LED upgrade yet. They're about $20 in Canada, probably less in the US if you shop around, and they are a pretty good upgrade. Maybe twice the light output and twice the runtime of the stock bulb, and a much nicer beam. I'm not impressed with the stock Mag 2D either, but I think the MagLED 2D is a real useful light.

If you're looking for a simple mod to greatly improve your flashlight, this is a good place to start.

The other option is to hold off until brighter Cree or Seoul-based LED upgrades become affordable. It has to happen some time soon.

Now you have too many choices. Welcome to CPF
    Last edited by bridgman; 03-03-2007 at 07:27 PM.

You can also run the terralux k2 replacement(SSC) in the 2D with the litemania carriers.I run a K2 in one,thinking of getting the upgrade,but may wait a year to see what else shows up for a mag drop in LED. http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6k2.html
    Last edited by moontroll; 03-03-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Buy the litemania adapters and use a 5 or 6 cell krypton bulb with alkaline batteries. This will be a cheap, bright, alternative that you can purchase additional parts later for an ROP.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman
    The other option is to hold off until brighter Cree or Seoul-based LED upgrades become affordable. It has to happen some time soon.
    A Seoul-based upgrade is available now. blitzlicht65 pointed to one -- see above. It's not cheap, but the price is not outrageous either.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePaul
    A Seoul-based upgrade is available now. blitzlicht65 pointed to one -- see above. It's not cheap, but the price is not outrageous either.
    Try this and you'll be a happy man can still run with 2D cell primaries.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=155289

Quote Originally Posted by Brighteyez
    Insert 6 full charged AA NiMH batteries, replace the 2 cell krypton bulb with a 5 cell Xenon bulb, and you'll have a low cost light that is much brighter than your TL-3 or PT Surge.
    I am running that exact combination in a Brinkmann 2D light. Is there output data for it somewhere on CPF? I was under the impression that a TL-3, running on 3xcr123a = 9V would be brighter than 7.2V into a 5 cell Xenon bulb.

I am very satisfied with the 6xAA NiMH with 5 cell Xenon bulb combo. The best part about it is the runtime, 2.5 hours on a fully charged set of batteries [I am using Duracell 2650s]. I also like the voltage discharge characteristics of the NiMH batteries, the brightness does not dim much over time, as if the light were semi-regulated.
    Last edited by EssLight; 03-03-2007 at 08:31 PM. Reason: details

I also think the TL3 is brighter than the 5 cell xenon on 7.2v. Flashlight reviews said total output of 100 for TL3, vs 60 for 6 cell xenon + 3xCR123 (7.2v under load or even a bit higher).

The 5 cell bulb would be brighter and whiter than the 6 cell bulb but I don't think it would go from 60 to over 100. Having said that, the 5 cell bulb on 6xAA is a VERY useful light because of the nice long runtime. I keep going back to that myself, just too lazy to update my sig line.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...c-123a_mod.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...t_tactical.htm

+1 on M*gled!

I have a M*gled in a 2C and it is one of my faves!

Also, a 4 cell M*gled running on 4C in a 3D was left running for what I believe was two days. It had right at 1.0x Volts in each C and was still bright enough for dark use.
    http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2640/usflaghalfmastmdwht.gif

PBJS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast