Disappointed w Maglite 2D. Any quick upgrades?

67L48

Newly Enlightened
Searching doesn't work for this topic: can't search on "2D" because it's too short of a search term. Can't search on maglight because, for some reason, people don't spell it out. Ends up being M@g, M*g, etc. Makes it difficult to search for!

Anyway, bought a 2D yesterday, my first real maglite. After using a streamlight TL-3 for the past couple of years, I was extremely disappointed. I didn't expect it to be as bright as my TL-3 or my PT Surge, but I didn't think the beam quality would be so poor.

I'm not interested in soldering, sanding, or electronics modifications. But, is there any drop-in bulb, reflector, other that will give a little boost to this flashlight?

Thanks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I have a 4 D, 3D, 2D, and 2C mag... I plan on some day maybe modding a few but I'm too poor...

I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the mag. And using the stock form of the mag for many tasks works just fine, it just doesn't impress anyone...

I've found that a 2D mag with a pair of 10,000MAH NIMH cells will run for over 12 hours before the output drops significantly. This is a GREAT utility light with NIMH in it. You could use this thing all night in a power outage. A simple LED drop-in like a SMJLED would increase runtime dramatically. while improving the beam at the same time.

LumenHound

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a quick brightness boost you could replace the 2 cell bulb with a 5 cell krypton Maglite bulb and run it on 3 CR123A lithium batteries. You would need to wrap the 3 battery stack with some foam or bubble wrap to keep them centered and from rattling inside the battery tube.

A 1 inch diameter disc of mat finish "invisible gift wrap tape" stuck on the center of the lens can help tame the beam nastiness.

67L48

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions.

Not interested in LED, plus it's a 40 Euro mod (~$54 USD). Yikes!

Don't want a mod that required CR123. Batteries are just too expensive.

The ROP is also fairly expensive at $65+, but it sounds promising ... if you could actually do it!

6AA to 2D battery holder -- out of stock.
Cammed reflector of any kind (LOP, HS, etc.) -- out of stock.
Camless reflector of any kinds for use with ROP -- out of stock.
Borofloat lens -- out of stock
CBP1650 (recommended battery) -- out of stock

See a pattern here?!? Now, the 8AA to 2D adaptor is in stock at the sandwich shoppe and there are other NiMH. FiveMega, Modamag, and the others seem to be out of business or at least dormant.

Show me where to buy, and I'll try it!

tussery

Enlightened
67L48 said:
6AA to 2D battery holder -- out of stock.
Camless reflector of any kinds for use with ROP -- out of stock.
Wow that was quick because I just ordered all my stuff last week.

robm

Enlightened
6AA to 2D battery holder -- out of stock
2 x#16. 3AA to 1D Battery Holder
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119033

Camless reflector of any kinds for use with ROP -- out of stock
fivemega dual function reflector
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150395

The AAs don't have to be CBP1650s

Just need the lamp now (shame fivemega has sold out), or try lighthound.com:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1070

Edit: reports no stock if add to cart so try:
http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/pelican-flashlights/accessories-and-bulbs/3804-lamp-modules.asp?bhcp=1

from fivemega http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=150826
or from lighthound (listed as additional products with the lamp)

Even easier upgrade is 2 x 3aa-d and a 5 or 6 cell Maglight lamp cost - approx $12

Hope these helped :)

Last edited:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're willing to buy some AA NiMH batteries and a charger, some Mag Xenon bulbs, and get the battery adapters that robm listed at
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119033 you can have a pretty easy project.
Insert 6 full charged AA NiMH batteries, replace the 2 cell krypton bulb with a 5 cell Xenon bulb, and you'll have a low cost light that is much brighter than your TL-3 or PT Surge. You can worry about changing the reflector and lens when it's convenient if you want, or you can just use it as-is. And best of all, if you decide that you can't stand the brightness, you can always put the 2 cell bulb back in, put 2 D batteries in the light and go back to it's original configuration.

67L48 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Not interested in LED, plus it's a 40 Euro mod (~$54 USD). Yikes!

67L48

Newly Enlightened
robm said:
2 x#16. 3AA to 1D Battery Holder
In some of the instruction-based posts, it is recommended not to use two 3AA/1D adaptors in series -- only use a 6AA/2D adaptor. Any truth to this? Would it be better to just get a 8AA/2D adaptor from sandwich shoppe and use two dummy cells? Definitely more expensive this way.

robm said:
fivemega dual function reflector
Perfect!

robm said:
The AAs don't have to be CBP1650s
Yeah, I know. There are other batteries out there. It's just the one that get's recommended 99.999% of the time in ROP posts and it was just ironic that it, too, was out of stock at the usual places.

Looks like the lamp is available at a bunch of sites online with varying prices and shipping. I also found out, as did you, that the lamp is out at lighthound, but did finally notice that the lens was there. Ironically, they list flashlightlens.com as their source, yet the lens is sold out at flashlightlens.com!

Thanks.

robm

Enlightened
In some of the instruction-based posts, it is recommended not to use two 3AA/1D adaptors in series -- only use a 6AA/2D adaptor. Any truth to this?

I can only assume that this is because 2 x 3aa/d adapters are likely to have more resistance that a single 6aa/d adapter (more connections). This becomes more significant at the higher voltage levels - Mag85 etc.
My thinking is that if it works, and is good enough for Electorlumens (the Tesla came with 2 3aa/d adapters - albeit a bit different to the Litemania ones) - then they are good enough for me :)

Oh and I think it may have been me that ordered the last ones from flashlightlens.com :D

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
What exactly are you trying to achieve? Something that is brighter, or do you want to go all the way and build a ROP? If you're going to build a full-fleged ROP, you can get the components specified as long as you're willing to part with the funds.

If you're reluctant to spend the money to go with the higher priced components, the adapters from Litemania are a workable option for the time being.

The 8AA to 2D adapter may or may not work depending upon the batteries that you're using.

67L48 said:
In some of the instruction-based posts, it is recommended not to use two 3AA/1D adaptors in series -- only use a 6AA/2D adaptor. Any truth to this? Would it be better to just get a 8AA/2D adaptor from sandwich shoppe and use two dummy cells? Definitely more expensive this way.

moontroll

Newly Enlightened
I use the Litemania 3AAto1D carriers in a low ROP 2D mag and a 5D magnum star bulb 2D mag with no problems,they are fine lights.I did the resistance fixes on the springs,it made a difference on the ROP.You simply cant go wrong at that price on the carriers,be sure to get four because you will want some more in the future.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed be sure that you get extras. If you reverse them they're easy to damage. I'd suggest 5 as a minimum for each light. 2 in the light, 2 spares or for a quick battery change, and one to break.

moontroll said:
be sure to get four because you will want some more in the future.

bridgman

Enlightened
>>I've found that a 2D mag with a pair of 10,000MAH NIMH cells will run for over 12 hours before the output drops significantly.

+1 for this. Alkalines just don't cut it driving incandescents.
Either get one of Mad Maxabeam's battery packs and a charger (that's the ideal solution) and go the ROP route (see if he has any 2700 mAH packs, they're ideal for ROP low), or get a couple of good NiMH D cells and a charger.

My most used light right now is a 2D with 6xAA welded battery pack from MadMaxabeam and ROP low output bulb. It also has a FiveMega cammed MOP reflector and borofloat lens (FiveMega has both in stock) but you can get by without them if you don't leave it running for too long.

InfidelCastro

Banned
A very quick upgrade is one of the Dorcy xenon bulbs for 2 cell lights. The .93A bulb. Much better than the stock bulb. I have used them in two C and two D lights for awhile now. I have a two D I'm using one in right now. To buy all that magmod crap and then have to deal with it.. and buy a decent charger.., I might as well buy a Surefire instead, and I did.. I've seen the Dorcy bulbs at Sears only.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I can only assume that this is because 2 x 3aa/d adapters are likely to have more resistance that a single 6aa/d adapter (more connections). This becomes more significant at the higher voltage levels - Mag85 etc.-robm

unfortunately you have it backwards. Using multiple carriers does increase resistance, (that part is right), but the effect of the higher resistance is more profound on lights that are high current by comparison.

A mag85 would actually be less effected by resistance problems than an ROP because the ROP is a lower voltage, higher current bulb. There was some great discussion on this in the mag switch mod instructions... showing the effects of the mod on various bulbs.

robm

Enlightened
Doh - my bad!
I actually meant higher output in general (which sometimes is also higher current), rather than voltage, and picked a bad example with the Mag85.

While I am being lazy ;) - do you have a link to the switch mod discussion - you got me interested now :grin2:

Last edited:

67L48

Newly Enlightened
OK, here's my summation on cost (including s/h):

Lamp (action-lights.com): $12.09
Reflector (fivemega): $32.50
Lens (lighthound.com): $11.05
Two 3AA to 1D (Litemania): $11.00
8 Eneloop 2000 batteries + 4-cell charger (Amazon): $40 (liked the idea of a LSD battery, since this flashlight will be in my truck most of the time)

Total ROP: $104.64

Obviously, people already "in the game" will have batteries and chargers, so the cost comes back down to a more respectable ~$65 for them.

I bought my copper 2D maglight from Target for $14+, so add that to the cost and a turn-key ROP is around $120.

I may sit on my hands and do the simple 5/6-cell lamp + Alkaline AA batteries. Maybe I'll buy in pieces over time, defraying the cost over several months of income and then still have a great flashlight by the prime camping season.

Last edited: