L1D CE or P1D CE

lenny

Newly Enlightened
OK all, I'm about ready to purchase one of these little beauties.
But I can't make up my mind.
Will I really miss the 45 extra lumens that the P1D CE makes if I go with the L1D CE?
Other than that, what are the pros and cons of each?
- ease of use
- ergonomics
- beam quality, etc
Battery choice isn't really a big deal as I buy 123's in quantity. However, I gotta say that, all else being equal, I'd rather go with a AA light.
So please help me decide.
Oh, and BTW, can I purchase these at a real brick and mortar store?
I'd rather not use the credit card as it's been abused to the max recently.
Thanks all,
Lenny

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
It`s a no brainer...L1D-CE...buy the 123 body for it in another few weeks...and maybe the 2 AA body as well.

LightScene

Enlightened
First decide if you can comfortably carry the L1D-CE with you all the time.
The P1D-CE is smaller and very bright, a real kick.
You can pay with PayPal right from your bank account at fenix-store.com

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, the ease of using the L1D's clicky outweighs the P1D's smaller size and brighter output. I find the P1D's twisty operation to be rather tight on my light.

Don't sweat it too much. You'll be plenty happy with either one.

cheers

suvdave

Newly Enlightened
I have the P1D-CE. It's a great light and plenty bright, but I bought it before the L1D-CE came out. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with the L1D-CE for the following reasons: AA batteries slightly easier to deal with as power source, I like the UI on the L1D-CE better, and availability of other body tubes to convert to L2D-CE. Once I get to 80 or 90 lumens, I don't see any big advantages to higher outputs available on my P1D-CE. While others may covet the extra photons, I don't see that big of difference between the primary (72L) and high (135L) levels (not enough to warrant the bigger battery drain anyway).

The L1D is about an inch longer than the P1D if size is of paramount importance to you. They are nearly the same diameter.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Badbeams3 said:
It`s a no brainer...L1D-CE...buy the 123 body for it in another few weeks...and maybe the 2 AA body as well.

Are you sure about that? I'm quite sure Fenix wont release a 123 body(they havent before), and I havent heard that anybody else will do it.

But I would go with L1D-CE also, just the fact that it's a clicky and the UI is great is enough for me. I dont like twisties, especially those that you have to twist repeatedly to get another level.

EDIT: My bad, saw Kooters 123body now.:ohgeez:

Last edited:

stoven

Newly Enlightened
Do all the Fenix lights have the exact same drive circuitry? Would it be possible to make a 2xAAA body for my L0D CE with a tailcap twisty to make a really good pen light?

patycake57

Newly Enlightened
You will miss the extra lumens outside in terms of throw. Inside, it can be really hard to tell between the primary and max mode on the P1D CE because it's already that bright. However, I believe that you will be able to get a L2D body in a few weeks from the fenix-store, which will give you the full 135 lumens at the LED on the L1D head. Ease of use defintely is for the L1D. I really like the UI. It's intuitive and level selection is easy with the reverse clicky. Because it comes on 1st in low, and the low is much lower than the L1D, it is much easier to use indoors. My P1DCE twisty is fine, but best used two handed. Ergonomics- I carry the lights on the belt, so it doesn't matter between the L1D and P1D. In the pocket, I think it would matter alot. Beam quality is about the same stock, but the L1D can be "defocussed" to minimize the rings, which I did. I do think this comes at some, perhaps minimal, cost of throw. I don't find the rings a big deal either way, but a broader hotspot is more useful indoors. Last, although there isn't much competition for the P1D CE ($70 before discount) right now, it feels a little overpriced a bit compared with the L1D ($54 before 5% discount at fenix-store).

My thoughts are if throw and/or small size is most important, then get the P1D CE. If you plan to use it mostly indoors, then L1D CE would be a more versatile and value conscious light.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both and I love both. IMO if you want a real flashlight buy the L1D but if you prefer to have a wonderful toy for grownups go for the P1D!!

LowTEC

Enlightened
Get a P1D-CE with a Kooter body, then you have one of the smallest clickie CREE you can buy as of now :), see sig.

Skibane

Enlightened
patycake57 said:
You will miss the extra lumens outside in terms of throw.

I agree. There is a VERY significant difference, once you get outdoors.

I would suggest getting an L2D-CE, and then springing for the single AA body (for indoor/compact use) as soon as it becomes available.