SunwayLED        
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs

Quote Originally Posted by CodeOfLight
    Yep, these chargers that charge two cells on one channel are absolutely useless. If one cell is partially charged and the other is empty, the partially charged one will get WAY overcharged. I think it is set up this way in order to FORCE people to ruin perfectly good cells so that they will have to buy more. Each and every cell should be on it's own independent channel. The chargers mentioned here are like that. The cheap chargers that require two or four cell loads only are to be avoided. Either that or you must keep track of the discharge state of each cell to safely use them.
    Or just use the discharge function before loading the cells? But usually I know how discharged my cells are, or just check with a voltmeter before I charge them.
    Ok, I admit that I'm just making up excuses to not buy a decent charger now.

Actually, the Duracell charger that I use was only $6.00 on clearance at Frys Electronics. Came with two 1800 mAh Duracell AAs. My ex wife has the exact same charger, except hers has an LED for each channel while mine just has two, but it is still a 4 channel charger.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

Flashaholic

Any charger that costs $6 will NOT have an independent channel for each cell. If you have to put in cells in pairs before it will charge, then it is charging them in series. BAD IDEA in virtually ANY situation. The differences in capacity for individual cells from the same lot will be enough to shorten the life of them if charged this way. I think this is INSANE for the battery companies to make chargers this way. Unless, of course, you want to sell more batteries to replace the ruined ones

Enlightened

Any charger that costs $6 will NOT have an independent channel for each cell. If you have to put in cells in pairs before it will charge, then it is charging them in series. BAD IDEA in virtually ANY situation. The differences in capacity for individual cells from the same lot will be enough to shorten the life of them if charged this way. I think this is INSANE for the battery companies to make chargers this way. Unless, of course, you want to sell more batteries to replace the ruined ones
    Almost everything uses batteries in sets of two, so it isn't usually a problem.

I said I paid $6 for it on clearance. It was originally $30 which is $10 more than the Energizer 4 Pack with the dumb charger.

And I assure you it charges them individually.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

The majority of the people will use alkalines. They will only get 1/3 of the runtime that Fenix claims.

Why does Fenix significanly overstate the runtimes on the L2d-CE?

Still Learning. Thanks for the education.
    Jeff
    Fenix P1D-CE, L2D-CE
    Inova X03, X5
    Streamlight 3 C LED, TwinTask 2D
    Surefire E2D, G2
    and many others

a
    Quote Originally Posted by jefffoxsr
    The majority of the people will use alkalines. They will only get 1/3 of the runtime that Fenix claims.

Why does Fenix significanly overstate the runtimes on the L2d-CE?

Still Learning. Thanks for the education.
    I'm pretty sure that Fenix is using NIMH cells when they state the runtimes of their lights. Using Alkalines in either of these lights is plain stupid. A charger and 2 NIMH cells can be had for less $10 and will give free lumens and MUCH better performance.

Thanks. Where can I find out more about what a NIMH cell is and "how" to use them?

I see "NIMH" mentioned a lot on this forum, but I need a basic tutorial in batteries.

Thanks.
    Jeff
    Fenix P1D-CE, L2D-CE
    Inova X03, X5
    Surefire E2D, G2
    and many others

I went to the "Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included" forum (fourth from the top on the main CPF page, I think) and read through all the interesting threads there. There's a HUGE amount of information available from some very knowledgeable people.

NiMH stands for Nickel Metal Hydride. They were new and cool a few years ago and now are the standard workhorse rechargeable battery for consumer products. Everywhere you see rechargeable batteries for sale they are probably NiMH cells.

The latest generation of NiMH rechargeables are extremely good, to the point where the only reason I use alkalines is so I can keep refreshing my emergency stash and use them rather than have them expire. If I could find a really good affordable solar charger I would probably give up on the alkaline stash completely.
    Last edited by bridgman; 04-04-2007 at 09:28 PM.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing...

Flashaholic*

Hey jeff - welcome to CPF.

For the "battery-basics," try www.batteryuniversity.com.

Thanks for the information.
    Jeff
    Fenix P1D-CE, L2D-CE
    Inova X03, X5
    Surefire E2D, G2
    and many others

chevrofreak, I seem to recall you mentioning your lights are under forced cooling with a fan while being tested.

Would you clarify if these particular tests were ran with or without forced cooling?

I fan cool all lights that I test because most of them don't belong to me and I don't want to damage the LED or cause them to explode from a potentially overheated cell.

Quote Originally Posted by chevrofreak
    I fan cool all lights that I test because most of them don't belong to me and I don't want to damage the LED or cause them to explode from a potentially overheated cell.
    You're creating a special laboratory environment. If you never said it, I would have never known about it. How come you don't mention the intentional environmental control factor in your test results?

Also, don't you think there's a problem with products when a reviewer fears the light under test might start a fire, rupture or create an environmental health hazard from release of dangerous gases(particular CR123s) under ordinary use conditions?

well, you cannot even predict, let alone know what will happen the next second of your life... let alone those lights are not his.
    ARE NOT his.

get it?
    if killing was legal, i would have killed countless number of people...

The Arc LS that I have gets quite hot if left by itself, so I think there is a long history of lights not being able to thermally manage without the hand heatsink. Is it being suggested that chevro hold every light in his palm during the test? Or that he should design a system that would mimick holding in the hand, and then test what would happen if the light was dropped? Maybe he should test in Arizona conditions versus Canadian conditions? Summer versus winter? Maybe he should buy a certified integrating sphere? I could go on and on...

I think chevro's doing a great job currently, and would hate to see him stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Handlobraesing
    You're creating a special laboratory environment. If you never said it, I would have never known about it. How come you don't mention the intentional environmental control factor in your test results?

Also, don't you think there's a problem with products when a reviewer fears the light under test might start a fire, rupture or create an environmental health hazard from release of dangerous gases(particular CR123s) under ordinary use conditions?

Of course I'm creating a laboratory environment because there is no other way to cool the lights other than holding them in my hand, and that isn't an acceptable thing to do. Cooling each of the lights with a fan gives them all an even playing field. I even fan cooled those Maglite LED's you seem so fond of.

I often have to leave the house while a runtime test is going and I don't like the idea of an overheated cell exploding and potentially burning down my house, let alone damaging something that doesn't belong to me.

chevro, please keep up the good work!

I don't understand how people can go and flame and complain considering how much work this is and how vaulable the results are!

Quote Originally Posted by gunga
    chevro, please keep up the good work!

I don't understand how people can go and flame and complain considering how much work this is and how vaulable the results are!

Handlo just doesn't like it when I call him on his Fenix bashing, so he likes to come into my threads to stir crap up.

Chevrofreak, as always, excellent job!!! Thank you for your hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy
    Chevrofreak, as always, excellent job!!! Thank you for your hard work.
    +1

Thanks Chevro!

I...can't...resist... I need a L1D or L2D because of this great graphs .

Ok - just a quick question. If I get a L1D CE, can I later buy a L2D CE body and switch between a 1xAA and 2xAA body? Is there any difference between the L1D and L2D except in the body length?
    Thanks!
    Surefire A2 Aviator . If you like this place, you can donate to CPF here

You are correct. THey have the same head. You can even buy a P2D body later (in May) and use the head with a CR123 (my plan, still waiting...)

Quote Originally Posted by gunga
    You are correct. THey have the same head. You can even buy a P2D body later (in May) and use the head with a CR123 (my plan, still waiting...)
    Ok, you convinced me, I'll order L1D CE now!

I lost so much time waiting for the Rexlight, that was going to be my first real flashlight - but i'll just cancel that order (because it probably can't take 2AA or CR123, it has PWM, very poor regulation, stupid 5 "smart" seconds, ... it isn't what I was hoping and waiting month for ).

Sorry for the offtopic, but I had to vent my anger...

Yeah, I ordered a couple. One as gift, the other as an extra light to play with. It still has some promise as a cheap light, and it has a better feeling body (I think) than the Fenix. The Fenix is a bit slippery, and the finish has never been that tough.

OTOH, the Fenix has wicked circuitry, great efficiency and awsome support (Fenix Store, Lighthound...). If I only had one, it would be the Fenix. I thought about selling it, with all these new lights, but it still has the best combination of features. I just can't wait for the P2D tubes!

Keep in mind, all the lower modes don't work properly with 3.7V Li-on. So get 3V (Either Li-on or LiFePo4 RCR123's) if you want rechargable.

I was bummed about that, but the modes, brightness, and runtimes swayed me.

It's a winner. MIne is a bit green, but I only notice when comparing directly with other lights.

I just wish they put an OP reflector in!

Gunga - thanks for the info.

I already ordered a pair of Eneloops for the Rexlight. I keep the batteries, but I have just cancelled my Rexlight order.
    I am would like to use Eneloops with this light. I go hiking, once a week or two, so I need low-discharge. I don't need high brightness (I have a headlamp, Tikka XP, 90% of the time on low), and those Li-On batteries are good for the extra brigthness (If I understand that right - I am a flashlight noob).
    I really like the idea that I can buy more accesories later, and the support is also important.
    Last edited by Daniel_sk; 04-19-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by patycake57
    I think chevro's doing a great job currently, and would hate to see him stop.
    +1

i drop my lights in water (room temp) during run time tests to keep them cool. I don't see how this differs a lot from holding the light. (Besides the fact your hand is above room temp) Keep doing things the way you are doing them Chevro, they are highly appreciated. Looking forward to your P3D graph, I may end up buying one based on your graph (and how it behaves on 2xRCR123s)
    01001100011010010111011001100101001000000110100101 10111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110 0100011000010111001001101011
    00101100000011010000101001100001011011100110010000 10000001110100011010000110010100100000011101110110 1111011100100110110001100100
    00100000011010010111001100100000011101000110100001 11001001100101011000010111010001100101011011100110 1001011011100110011100101110

Daniel sk, good choice.

I'm just playing with these batteries for fun. For real world use, like camping, hiking, eneloops are great. The Fenix is also very good on nimh. It's funny, the more I talk about how good the Fenix is, the more I want to sell the Rexlight...

I have one as a gift, so I can't really cancel. The other one may end up on B/S/T.

I still would like to take a look at it...

Gunga - I would take both, Rexlight and Fenix. The Rexlight just for a try. But I am on limited budget (as a student), so I have to pick only one and I can't take the risk, fenix is a proven "classic".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast