Klarus        
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs

Flashaholic

Default Re: Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs

Guys, I have had all kinds of lights. The L2D-CE is my "goto" light in almost all cases now. I can run this puppy for over 2 hours in tail stand mode. It gets hot but not too hot. I would call it very warm. I always have a charger full of NiMH batteries both at work and at home. When it runs out, I just take 10 seconds and change the batts. I feel like I have free lumens. I can use it all I want all the time without feeling like I am using up batteries. My wife likes to have all the lights down (meaning off) at night, and I mean starting at about 8 pm. She is a little wierd this way, but she seems to think it will encourage everybody to get to bed sooner. I used to get a little miffed at this until I discovered CPF. I have a CR2 Ion Xre I always carry with me, but I reserve that for time when I am not at home. At home I carry the L2d-CE in my back pocket because of all of it's various modes and NiMH batteries. I love having my own little "super-light" area that follows me around just like the cloud of dust followed pigpen on charlie brown. I just point the light up at the ceiling wherever I walk. Whenever I have to work on the computer late at night, I take a large white styrofoam cup and cut a small hole in the side near the top. I push the head of the L2D-CE into this hole so the cup is bent over at an angle and then tailstand it near the PC, with the opening of the cup pointed at my keyboard. Perfect.

I just gave one to my 13 year old son for his birthday, he was ecstatic about it. (I am breeding a flashaholic successor). He now carries it around with him at night. I also ordered an LOD-CE for my daughter. Pretty soon the neighbors will think that our house is home to a bunch or wierdos at night, what with all the spots of light moving around. The police will probably have to flag our address as a "do not respond" type place when they get calls about flashlights moving around inside.

Oh, ane one other thing, I will soon have my Stunner-P4 (yes, I am one of the seriously lucky ones) to carry around too! Being king of my house, I must have the brightest one!
    Last edited by CodeOfLight; 04-20-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Hi,

I've thinking about buying a L1D-CE and had some questions about it's compatibility with a 14500. After a few months now, has it been determined that it's safe? Has anyone come out with a 3V 14500 yet?

Also, I was trying to interpret the 14500 runtimes graphs. Does it mean that a 14500 will run 57 minutes on turbo then shut down. After which, you have a high mode (another 50 minutes) or low mode (another 22 minutes) only? Why does the high mode give you more time?

Thanks.

Default Re: L1D CE runtime graphs using Duracell Alkalines, much better

L1D CE.

Unimpressed with the RT's and vastly reducing output Chevro achieved using Kirkland Alkalines. (See graphs on page one)

I did same RT's using Duracell Coppertop Alkalines, dated March 2011.

Much better results......

L1D CE, Medium, constant output for 120 minutes, then sharp drop.

L1D CE, High, constant output for 60 minutes, then sharp drop.

Outputs same as using nimh cells, and CR123's with P2D tube, at all levels, apart from turbo, as discovered elsewhere.

(To be really picky, the output from the AA's was actually a smidgens less than the CR123's, at any setting apart from Turbo)

Using the Alkalines, output dropped when the cells reached 1.2v, and would then not re-ignite...
    Last edited by abvidledUK; 06-28-2007 at 10:46 AM.
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by abvidledUK View Post
    L1D CE.

Unimpressed with the RT's and vastly reducing output Chevro achieved using Kirkland Alkalines.

Outputs same as using nimh cells, and CR123's with P2D tube, at all levels, apart from turbo, as discovered elsewhere.

Using the Alkalines, output dropped when the cells reached 1.2v, and would then not re-ignite...
    This gives new life to my consideration of a new light purchase. According to Fenix Store literature the L1D-CE, L2D-CE and P2D-CE have similar lumen output. The differences are battery types, run times and size. I could go for the 1AA (easily available/cheap) in the L1D-CE and bypass the P2D-CE with it's inconvenient (price/availability) CR123. All I compromise on is run time. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    According to Fenix Store literature the L1D-CE, L2D-CE and P2D-CE have similar lumen output. The differences are battery types, run times and size. I could go for the 1AA (easily available/cheap) in the L1D-CE and bypass the P2D-CE with it's inconvenient (price/availability) CR123. All I compromise on is run time. Right?
    No, they all use the same head, but max output is different on the 1AA version. The L2D-CE and P2D-CE are indeed equivalent in output on Turbo, which is almost (but not quite) twice as much as the a 1AA version. The lower modes are roughly similar, with some variation.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Summer Sale!
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

This gives new life to my consideration of a new light purchase. According to Fenix Store literature the L1D-CE, L2D-CE and P2D-CE have similar lumen output. The differences are battery types, run times and size. I could go for the 1AA (easily available/cheap) in the L1D-CE and bypass the P2D-CE with it's inconvenient (price/availability) CR123. All I compromise on is run time. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    max output is different on the 1AA version. The L2D-CE and P2D-CE are indeed equivalent in output on Turbo, which is almost (but not quite) twice as much as the a 1AA version. The lower modes are roughly similar, with some variation.
    That's exactly correct, as I have done RT's and output comparisons with my P2D and L1D's heads and bodies.

Same heads, different cells.

The turbo output I found is ≈ no higher than the High setting using AA cells, any type.

You need the higher voltage of the CR123 to reach full turbo.

Also, lower RT's using AA's, in every mode I tested.

Cost / hour approx same for AA's and CR123's.

Except for Lithium AA's, twice the cost approx.

AA's 15p, CR123's 49p.

Advantage of AA's also, you can use nimh's, and get all output levels (but Turbo≈High).

So finally, to clarify, I get ≈ the same output level for all types AA's, and CR123 at all settings, apart from Turbo. (Not tested with 14500)
    Last edited by abvidledUK; 06-28-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Flashaholic

No, they all use the same head, but max output is different on the 1AA version. The L2D-CE and P2D-CE are indeed equivalent in output on Turbo, which is almost (but not quite) twice as much as the a 1AA version. The lower modes are roughly similar, with some variation.
    Thanks for pointing out that fact. Still, if I'm not in need of that much Turbo, I could always enjoy the use of the other modes with those economical AA's at shorter run times. I could always use lithiums if I wanted to boost run time or carry spare AA's.

That is correct. They are the same heads, same circuitry.

The turbo output I found is no higher than the High setting using AA cells, any type.
    Is this an observation with your eye or with a light meter?
    A 10 lumen increase from 80 is very hard for the eye detect, but it's
    very clear with a light meter.
    Keep in mind the eye's sensitivity is logarythmic. This means for your
    eyes to observe a 2x brightness difference will require 3x-4x more lumens.
    80 lumens and 320 lumens would appear twice as bright to your eyes.
    Now with a light meter you can measure the difference between 80 and 90.

Flashaholic

Advantage of AA's also, you can use nimh's, and get all output levels (but Turbo=High).
    I'm confused. Isn't there a high and turbo setting?

Quote Originally Posted by 4sevens View Post
    That is correct. They are the same heads, same circuitry.

Is this an observation with your eye or with a light meter?
    A 10 lumen increase from 80 is very hard for the eye detect, but it's
    very clear with a light meter.
    Keep in mind the eye's sensitivity is logarythmic. This means for your
    eyes to observe a 2x brightness difference will require 3x-4x more lumens.
    80 lumens and 320 lumens would appear twice as bright to your eyes.
    Now with a light meter you can measure the difference between 80 and 90.
    You are quite correct David.

All outputs were measured with a light meter, and there is a slight measured increase in turbo reading using AA's compared to high reading, I was just keeping it simple !!

I'm confused. Isn't there a high and turbo setting?
    Yes there is, perhaps I over simplified it.

Using AA's the turbo setting gives a very similar (slightly more) measured output than the high setting.

Perhaps I shouldn't have used the = sign.

I couldn't find the approximately equal sign on my iMac.

≈, I'll use this instead.
    Last edited by abvidledUK; 06-28-2007 at 10:33 AM.

L1D CE.

Unimpressed with the RT's and vastly reducing output Chevro achieved using Kirkland Alkalines. (See graphs on page one)

Let's not get too side tracked here, it was the very poor performance shown using Kirkland Alkalines in Chevro's excellent graphs that prompted me to try Duracells.

Duracells give a much better illustration of the high quality Fenix circuitry.

Flashaholic*

Let's not get too side tracked here, it was the very poor performance shown using Kirkland Alkalines in Chevro's excellent graphs that prompted me to try Duracells.

Which is strange--Generally, the Kirkland's have been as good, or slightly better than Duracells for me and some others here at CPF.

-Bill

I am very, very pleased with the results using Duracell Coppertop Alkalines.

Using L1D CE bodies & tailcaps suppled by 4-7's, for my P2d CE's.

Excellent accessory.

So much, I am going to buy a couple of L1D CE's, helped along by Chevro's excellent graphs for the other, non alkaline AA cells.

They are over on

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...08#post2038808

if anyone want's them.

You also have to consider that every flashlight is different. There are variations in circuitry and led efficiency! For example, with NiMH on turbo, the L2D chevrofreak tested was pulling ~1.45A. Mine pulls ~1.15A on turbo. This could explain why he was getting poorer performances on alkaline.

Thank you for the research! I'm in the process of getting a l2d and this really helped!

Flashaholic*

The good:

Lots of lumens in a very small package. Hard to believe
    that a device that small can generate so much lite on "Turbo".

The tint is incredibly white, and bright.

The bad:

Incredibly stupid user interface. You tell me I have to cycle through ALL the modes to get to the one I want?? Including that funky flash mode that I am sure I will need every day??
    Great idea but very poor implementation and stupidly designed. If you want to use say medium or High as your primary mode, you will wear out the clickie getting to it all the time. It will take you 4 clicks instead of 1 like it should be.

Too confusing, too many modes. I wish it had just 2. Turbo and medium, which has the lumens of an old 1W lite.

Your choice, of course. I understand your frustration.

But for *me*, that LOW mode is the one that i use most.

When i need more Lumens, i simply "half-click" the tail-switch,
    and BAM, i've got MEDIUM mode.

Really not so difficult or complicated, after a day or two.

Is it perfect ? Nope.

Is it usable ? You bet !

But we really need Fenix to build 'em with a USB interface.

So we can "program" our flashlight to OUR tastes !

Oh, and give us *more knurling* , for greater "grip-ability" !

-

Flashaholic*

I quickly got used to 'half-clicking' my L2D CE to go straight to the medium light level which seems to be the one I use most. From there, just a full single click turns the light off. I find the interface quite user-friendly.
    Fenix L1P, L2D CE, L0P SE, Zebralight Q5 CREE headlamp, Huntlight ft02x, Tikka XP, PT Aurora & Eclipse 2, SL ProPoly 4aa Lux and Twintask 1L, Inova X1, Dorcy 1aaa, MagLED 2AA, Nuwai HLX-712L, Akoray K-106 AA, Rayovac 1AA headlamp.

I just tried a 14500 in my L1D and noticed that I lost all the normal modes (this I knew) and the strobe mode but kept the SOS mode. Why would the SOS mode be kept but not the strobe mode?

Also, it doesn't seem that much brighter on 14500 than on NiMH. Should you be able to tell the difference between 120 lumens and 70 lumens (numbers taken from Chevrofreak's graphs)?

If so, what is the method that you use? I tried the ceiling bounce and it was not that conclusive since I only have one L1D and couldn't do an A-B easily. Would taking pictures from a point and shoot camera (no access to a SLR) help highlight the difference?

Thanks.

There is a difference, if you did them side by side you will notice. It's just that even on NiMH it's really bright

You probably don't have strobe because the head isn't screwing down enough to enter turbo/strobe mode. The Li-ion is longer than normal AA. On mine it's barely enough to activate the turbo mode. Others lights are shorter or batteries longer and cant get to turbo/strobe at all.

If you can lock your camera exposure then you should be able to capture the difference.
    Mags: 2C: R/O, True Cyan, UV. 3C:Penta-XR-E Q5, Single SSC P4. Nitecore D10, Fenix LOD-CE, ArcAAA

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacHayes View Post
    You probably don't have strobe because the head isn't screwing down enough to enter turbo/strobe mode. The Li-ion is longer than normal AA. On mine it's barely enough to activate the turbo mode. Others lights are shorter or batteries longer and cant get to turbo/strobe at all.
    You're right. I think on my L1D, I can't screw down the head enough to activate turbo mode because of the 14500's extra length. That's probably why it doesn't look that much brighter. On Chevrofreak's graph, I see that high mode output drops on a rapid curve to ~900 instead of staying at around ~1500 when in turbo mode.

Is there anything I can do? Do the AW 14500 vary in length? Or perhaps I can try the unprotected UF 14500s?

Thanks for the insight.

+1 I couldnt agree more
    Procedo of obscurum quod penetro lux lucis
    My Lights: Nitecore D10 & EX10 R2, Fenix, LD01 SS, LD01, L2D, E01, Quark AA, AA2 Tactical WW, Mini 123, Romisen RC-G2 II WW, RC-G2, Zebralight h501w, Streamlight Nano, Microstream, Stylus Pro

Quote Originally Posted by musicalfruit View Post
    You're right. I think on my L1D, I can't screw down the head enough to activate turbo mode because of the 14500's extra length. That's probably why it doesn't look that much brighter. On Chevrofreak's graph, I see that high mode output drops on a rapid curve to ~900 instead of staying at around ~1500 when in turbo mode.

Is there anything I can do? Do the AW 14500 vary in length? Or perhaps I can try the unprotected UF 14500s?

Thanks for the insight.
    you can try a 14670 cell + a home made spacer that fit.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345