Multi-Tool for Amputation?

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posted this yesterday over on a thread about not being properly prepared. No one responded. Maybe it was too off topic there, so thought I'd try it over here:

Did any of you guys read - or see the show on TV - about the climber who was trapped by a falling rock, then was forced to amputate his lower arm to survive?

IIRC he managed to perform the amputation using just a small, cheap multi-tool that wasn't even particularly sharp.

Saw the guy on TV describing how he did it a little a time. He worked his way through skin, muscle, bone, tendons, and nerves. He said cutting through the big nerves was most agonizing part of the procedure.

Amazing story. Amazing that the guy had the grit to perservere and survive the ordeal.

Anyone remember any more details, like the type of tool he used to do the amputation?

beautifully-stupid

Newly Enlightened
I vaguely remember the interview... he said the multi-tool was something equivalent to a multi-tool that comes free with the purchase of a flashlight or another tool. (I'm guessing similar to a leatherman PST)

He also mentioned that he had dulled most of his blades trying to free himself.

http://www.aralston.com/

There's a forum on his home page... I don't know how appropriate it would be to ask.

HiKing808

Newly Enlightened
go through it again if i remember correctly he wasn't able to cut through the bone, as you said the knife was dull and in anyway i doubt any multi tool knife would be strong enough to get through the bone (maybe the saw tool but can you just try imagining that one!!!!!!), now get this!!!!! to proceed with amputating his arm he had to first break the bone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! then cut through the flesh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
Amazing what the human body can do to survive....this is one incredible man to say the least.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Impressive that he had the intestinal fortitude to break free once he got trapped... But he's still a moron for getting into the situation in the first place. He did EVERYTHING ELSE WRONG.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use surgical stainless for my self amputations (I don't want to risk infections!) :thumbsup:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you've heard of the term "Coyote Ugly" you'll know in a bad enough situation you don't need a knife to amputate any limbs.

It's a joke by the way.

Haz

Enlightened
desperate times calls for desperate measures, even if you have a butter knife you may start hacking away at your arms if your life depended on it.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup i read the book and watched the movie in class. he actualy relyed apon a head lamp a lot of times for comfort. the multi-toll had Pliers. a big knife and a little knife but he tried chipping away the rock with the large knife so it was to dull to cut anything. he first broke his arm then he cut all the tendons and mucle, then he had to cut the large nerve and he said it felt like fire going up his arm.

BTW the book was called "Stuck between a rock and a hard place"

CLHC

Flashaholic
OHIO FORGE was what he used :)thinking:), since I believe he acquired it free with something else he bought. He was a former Intel engineer here in the Silicon Valley but decided that the outdoors was his niche in life. . .Incredible story I must say though!

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember that story. I have no idea of what the details really are but the two stories linked below claim he used a knife -- not that I would count on a reporter to get it right.

Here and here.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haz said:
desperate times calls for desperate measures, even if you have a butter knife you may start hacking away at your arms if your life depended on it.

I cant even imagine what would happen if in desperate times the only tool available is a diamond file or worst a small nail clipper! :green::sick:

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
ErickThakrar said:
Impressive that he had the intestinal fortitude to break free once he got trapped... But he's still a moron for getting into the situation in the first place. He did EVERYTHING ELSE WRONG.

Isn't that a little harsh?

He made one major unfortunate decision, not notifying someone of his location and expected time of return, but I've done the same thing myself, many times. Conditions may change, things may happen unexpectedly, and hence the itinerary may have to change.

Anytime you do anything solo outdoors, it's riskier than doing the same thing as part of a group.

Some people, myself included, really enjoy solo activities. Solo hiking, backpacking, and easy bouldering are some of my favorites. Others like to go solo for riskier activites like climbing.

Famous solo trekker Colin Fletcher pointed out: if you live your life solely to minimize risk, you may eventually realize that you have gone through life not fully alive.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Please. It's a basic concept, and one that Ralston ignored many times.
Apparently the SAR team in his area, have had to get this guy out of trouble so many times, that when someone does something stupid and has to be rescued, they refer to it as "pulling a ralston.". That was BEFORE he got stuck under the boulder.