Votes: 1 0.6%

Votes: 10 5.6%

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • C

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've always been a 1x123 guy when it comes to edc but the millermod arc aaa cree might just change my mind:)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xRCR123 - It's the way to go.

That said, my millermods Arc AA is becoming a firm favorite lately.
smile.gif

CFU

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a tough one because they all have their advantages, but ultimately, I went with CR123 because I've found it to be the best balance between small size and excellent output/runtime.

BTW, I actually EDC AAA, AA, and RCR123 lights, along with a small button cell LED on my keychain, ha. I think I'm officially a flashaholic. :)

alanagnostic

Enlightened
Definitely RCR123A for me. I started using them because I needed them for the Surefires that I wanted. Now I carry them everyday in my HDS ultimate 60. Once you make the transition to rechargeables they're a fantastic battery. I do have to admit thought that AA and AAA are much more available.

EssLight

Newly Enlightened
I prefer AAA, because of the small form factor, and you can buy them cheap anywhere.

Your poll fails to list coin cells or button cells, that's my choice for a keychain light.

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
AA eneloops will do great for me.

CR123 is a close second, but expensive if you use your light heavily. R123as aren't a direct replacement in some cases, and those 3.0v R123as usually have poor capacity.

With the current slew of LEDs that pump out about 120 lumens at 350ma, a simple NiMh AA that doesn't self-discharge much is ideal for me.

(I still love my li-ons for the extra power, but they get better as they get bigger, and thus only 17670 and 18670 are when I prefer li-ons over Alk/NiMh. But I only EDC AA size lights and thus my vote for AA. :D)

Flash-addict

Newly Enlightened
AA for sure. if need be you can pick them up at any convenience store. maye a cheap quality but they got em. cr123's are just too expensive

soffiler

Enlightened
CR123A. I like them because:

- small and light weight (far lighter than alkaline of comparable energy)
- superior cold temperature performance (this matters occasionally; for example I was out mountain biking in 7F (-14C) temperatures for over two hours last night, and ran my Pelican M1 1xCR123A as a secondary light source on the bars)
- they are fairly inexpensive, if you buy smart online
- they have superb shelf-life so go ahead and buy a bunch of them, then carry a few (they are small and light, remember) and don't worry about that local availability the AA fans seem to enjoy

Personally, I think companies like Surefire chose to standardize on them for pretty much these same reasons.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

This was a very difficult poll for me to vote on... I was very torn between CR123 and AA, the only two cell types that I buy lights for.
I finally voted CR123, because that's what my Surefires and most of my Inovas use. However, if I lived in a perfect world where any lights could be purchased with my choice of batteries though, I'd probably go with AA since they are so amazingly easy to obtain, inexpensive, and available in so many great varieties. Also, most of the benefits to be gained by CR123 Lithium cells can ALSO be had in AA form by using Energizer Lithium AA cells.

Best wishes,
Bawko

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I choose AA mainly because the long runtime with L91 and the low cost of Alkalines plus they are incredibly common.