Need watch info

dw51

Enlightened
I've always wanted to pony up the cash and get a "higher end" watch. Something along the lines of the Luminox SEAL dive watches. Are there any other good watches out there that are comparable in quality and price?

Edit: After reading this post http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155840 I want to rephrase "higher end" to "more than a Timex". Wow, I didn't realize they went that high!

Last edited:

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned a couple of Invicta Dive watch Model number 8926,( it looks like the Rolex Submariner Model) and have been very pleased with them.The ones I owned were less than $300 dollars.

Last edited:

vetkaw63

Enlightened
Check LAPOLICEGEAR.com. They had discontinued Traser watches for about 125.00. No date though. Way better than Luminox.
Mike

dw51

Enlightened
Thanks. This is the kind of information I'm wanting. I figured there were other brands/models out there, but just hadn't heard of too many. I have seen some, but haven't heard any first had experience. I don't want to shell out money for a pos.

Keep 'em coming. Thanks.

Gary123

Enlightened
I did some searching a year ago and settled on a brand called "Sector."

Mine is a chronograph with dive rotating bezel, saphire crystal and waterproof to 200 meters in heavy stainless. Looks very masculine and cost $250. Google the brand or look on Ebay. Pay attention to the material of the crystal and the depth of waterproofness as these are two important areas where the models vary.

Terry M

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Seiko Orange Monster and love it! Wear it everyday as my work watch.
I also have a Sector and am wearing it right now. Great watch!

cal..45

Enlightened
@ dw51,

if your are specifically interested in H3 watches (with tritium vials) you probably find this site also interesting: www.specopswatch.com

personally I wouldn't buy no more analog watch, which lacks H3 vials because the night legibility is outperforming every other watch that uses superluminova paint. actually I prefer to wear g-shock's but from time to time I like to wear my KHS Navigator MKII also. build quality is very good and the watch is very lightweight (50 grams). it wears pretty comfortable and has great timekeeping (gains about 1 second in two month). heres is a picture of it:

NavigatorMKII-1.jpg

regards, holger

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you'll find that a lot of the tritium watches look very similar, and you'll be told from time to time (with lots of debate) that they're made in the same factory and branded under different names. I personally don't do well with most metals and skin contact, so I wear a Titanium Traser H3. Looks a lot like Holger's watch but in Titanium and it just has Traser H3 and the depth rating on there.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can highly recommend Steinhart-Debaufre Ocean 1 watches. You get a fantastic watch, for a little $$$. The watch IS waterproof to 1,000 feet. I am including a link to the Steinhart home page. I have the Special green Ocean 1.
http://www.steinhartwatches.com/

nethiker

Enlightened
I looked into the Seiko Monster after a reference somewhere that peaked my curiosity. The second review in this Amazon link is really good. This watch sure looks like a great value if your interested in a larger dive type watch.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the Traser watches are considered to be better than the Luminox.

And for some amazing H3 watches there are the Ball watches. Some of which use like 53 Tritium vials. I don't know how much they cost and am afraid to ask.

Last edited:

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I would have to agree with Buffalohump.

The simply truth is you don't need to spend copious amounts of money to get a decent, reliable, good quality watch.
These high end watches are fascinating works of art that exemplify what fine craftsmen can accomplish, but for everyday life I'm not going (nor could I afford to) walk around with a piece of art on my wrist.
The more intricate a watch the more maintenance it will require. You need to get them serviced regularly and if you don't then they will start to fail which means reparation, which means lot's of money.
The BlackMonster along with many of the other divers use a simple but reliable movment 7S26 and you can see working examples that have not had a service in 15-20 years and are still ticking away.

My girlfriend used to work in a jewellers and you'd be shocked how many of the intermediate price ranged Swiss made divers came back due to water damage, but I have never heard of a Seiko diver failing due to water damage despite the fact they are considerable less expensive.

I am not going to start a war by saying that Seiko are making better watches than most of the Swiss watches as that would simply be untrue and silly there are many reasonably expensive (for me anyway) Swiss watches that are fantastic and I'd love to own but at the same time don't assume that because a Seiko costs 10 times less that this is a reflection on the quality because it's not. (I'm talking about intermediate price range here obviously not high end Patek or Lange & Söhne).

Along with the Monster you could look at the SKX 007 and the Samurai Titanium all good watches for what you pay.

There are also some very nice custom models (Black monster and 007) you can have made if you look around so you can have the watch customized to your particular taste.
Now if only I could afford that Breitling Super Avenger!
ohgeez.gif

vtran96

Newly Enlightened
Buffalohump said:
Seiko Black or Orange Monster is the best value for money sports/diver's watch, hands down...

+1

Many other "custom" watch makers use the seiko movement.

alvin70

Newly Enlightened
Everyday i rotate between my Seiko Black Monster, Traser P6504 and Casio Solar Pathfinder. This are all very solid watches that have gone through some beatings over the last 3 years or so, normally the Traser would be my choice for nights coz of the Tritium, its easier to see in the dark and the best thing about this watches are they don't cost a bomb to your pockets. Very affordable IMHO.

alvin :)