Battery Junction
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why are 2xAA lights so ugly?

Enlightened

Default Why are 2xAA lights so ugly?

I love the idea of the Fenix L2D-CE...longer life, hi turbo mode, etc. But the light just doesn't look good. Its just not as clean looking as the L1D. Am I alone here? Also why can't manufacturers make a side by side AA light? That would fit the hand nice and be pocketable. Comments?

Flashaholic

Default Re: Why are 2xAA lights so ugly?

Are freudian comments allowed on a forum like this?
    Just askin, John..

Flashaholic*

I agree with you opinion of the L2D-CE completely. The specs on the output & runtime are fantastic, but it looks like such a kluge job of stuck together pipes. Of course, I usually don't care what something looks like, as long as it works well. I almost bought one today, but will probably hold off until something similar comes along with a better form. Hopefully made in USA.

I also totally agree that a side by side 2AA would be a great form factor. Due to manufacturing costs, it would probably have to be made out of plastic though. The side by side 4AAs are great lights [UK 4AA eLED & SL PP Lux], but not very easy to put in your pocket.

They should stick with the cleaner and sexier design of the original L2P. Although I think 2XCR123 lights are generally much more attractive designs.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by LED_Thrift
    but it looks like such a kluge job of stuck together pipes. .
    lol. that pretty much explains it

what i dont understand about the NORMAL fenix stuff, is why make squared off sides, on a round battery holding things, wouldnt the light be much smaller if they didnt waste metal like that? its round, just make it round, is that so flipping difficult for these people :-)

Flashaholic

lol. so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Traglite
    I love the idea of the Fenix L2D-CE...longer life, hi turbo mode, etc. But the light just doesn't look good. Its just not as clean looking as the L1D. Am I alone here? Also why can't manufacturers make a side by side AA light? That would fit the hand nice and be pocketable. Comments?
    Yeah... with a head size to match. Wouldn't be as pocketable though. How bout a rectangular head/reflector the size of the 2 AA side by side body.... that would cast a broad beam of light for covering a wide area at once. Would that be cool? Maybe not.
    "Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me
    Yeah... with a head size to match. Wouldn't be as pocketable though. How bout a rectangular head/reflector the size of the 2 AA side by side body.... that would cast a broad beam of light for covering a wide area at once. Would that be cool? Maybe not.
    This isn't actually too bad of an idea -- they could project light more horizontally, similar to HID headlight projectors, which would be more useful for lighitng up big areas/walkways -- "conical" projections can waste a lot of light up into space when you want to light a long walkway ahead of you.

Flashaholic*

I really don't know why they abandoned the design of the original L2P. Maybe they thought the less symetric look was more "tactical", and one problem I noticed was how hard it is to tell the head from the top when it's in your pocket. Anyhow, I think it's hard to make a 2AA light look attractive, they are just to thin compared to their length. 1AA lights and 1 and 2 CR123 lights looks much better. However I prefer 2AA due to the performance, and that is usually most important to me. Not to say I would mind a beautiful light.

Ohgeez Re: Why are 2xAA lights so ugly?

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo
    I really don't know why they abandoned the design of the original L2P. Maybe they thought the less symetric look was more "tactical", and one problem I noticed was how hard it is to tell the head from the top when it's in your pocket.
    I loved the L2P design though....
    I've had my share of stupidity pushing on the bezel...trying to figure out why the clickys so rigid and why cant I activate the light

Flashaholic*

Also why can't manufacturers make a side by side AA light?
    They can. The Pelican VersaBrite II, for example.

I'd like to see a side-by-side 2 AA, too. I guess it would be pretty expensive, relatively, to machine such a beast out of aluminum.

Geoff

I thought so too until I purchased one of the l2d-ce lites. It really doesn't look that ugly in person. I've grown quite fond of it, even on aesthetic grounds.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Turtle
    I'd like to see a side-by-side 2 AA, too. I guess it would be pretty expensive, relatively, to machine such a beast out of aluminum.

Geoff

I DON'T have a similar design open in solidworks right now.... Some obstacles to be had that i'm working on (such as trying very hard to not produce a spy AA clone )

Enlightened

Red face Re: Why are 2xAA lights so ugly?

I would really like to see a side-by-side 2xAA, made of plastic, of course. Manufacturers have missed the boat on this design. It would not roll, it would fit nicely in the pocket, it would not scratch surfaces, and it would not have to be expensive. Put a Cree or Luxeon in it with a 3-stage clicky and you would have a flashlight good for many purposes from very bright to a long-lasting dim beam. The innards of a Black Diamond Zenix IQ could be used for such a design. Why not?
    SF E2e, Streamlight Scorpion, UK 4AA, PT Eos, BD Zenix IQ, Fenix LD10, Fenix P1, Fenix P1-CE, NiteCore Mini AA, Zebralight H51, Zebralight SC600,

Banned

I'll never understand why some people prefer the slippery, overly fat L2P body, compared to the newer slightly knurled and slimmer L2T/L2D styles. The only conclusion I can come to is that these people don't actually use the lights.

I do not have an easy time holding short lights in my hand, and my hands are not that big. I would probably find a side by side 2AA light a bit too short and awkward. But it's an interesting concept.
    Last edited by InfidelCastro; 03-06-2007 at 11:43 PM.

I agree with you about the Fenix L2D-CE,
    But not all 2AA lights are ugly the Fenix L2-P looks nice
    and so does the Longbow ECO

Flashaholic

I think Minimags look great.

A good 2X123 is a nice thing, though (think Inova X5).

Flashaholic*

* plastic and high led power, even with those cooler running Cree and SSC is a No-Go
    * side-by-side will raise production cost very much (thats probably the main reason for the new style 2AA body - less machining)

I d get a 2 AA side by side D-CE Fenix instantly

I agree on the Fenix looking horrible. I like the L2P body a lot more than the other ones. Beyond that there are few other 2XAA lights out there. A random one from Nuwai, Minimags, Chinese knockoffs, etc. I don't think the 2AA form factor is very popular tbh.
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

Count me in among those who don't like the L2D-CE's appearance. Looks like a kludge plus the reduced center section just provides more corners to get hung up on things as you take it in and out of the pocket, pack, etc. Even w/o regard for appearance, I'm not a big fan of 2AA lights. Too long to pocket and even in a holster I find them cumbersome.
    Don't curse the darkness, light a candle.
    RonM

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation
    I loved the L2P design though....
    I've had my share of stupidity pushing on the bezel...trying to figure out why the clickys so rigid and why cant I activate the light
    LOL. You too? I'm glad I'm not alone. I just got a L2P ver 2 a couple of weeks ago and I find myself pushing on the bezel about twice a day.

You guys are funny, when was the last time you were complementary of the aesthetics of a screwdriver or hammer?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by InfidelCastro
    I'll never understand why some people prefer the slippery, overly fat L2P body, compared to the newer slightly knurled and slimmer L2T/L2D styles. The only conclusion I can come to is that these people don't actually use the lights.

I do not have an easy time holding short lights in my hand, and my hands are not that big. I would probably find a side by side 2AA light a bit too short and awkward. But it's an interesting concept.
    About the estethics, I'm still on the fence which is the best looking of L2P and L2T/L2D, not that it's overly important to me. But I found that the L2P is almost perfect in size for me, comfortable to grip, and not too small (btw, I dont have gigantic hands either) and a very solid feel. So the L2D would maybe feel a bit too thin and flimsy, but I have never hold one in my hand. What's your opinion regarding that?

My only reason why I'm puzzled why the changed the design is that the new one looks much more complex to do, and there wasnt nothing really wrong with the first one, but I might be wrong.
    Last edited by Lobo; 03-07-2007 at 10:47 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomPhoton
    I don't think the 2AA form factor is very popular tbh.
    *COUGH*Mini Maglite*COUGH*

I would dare to say that that is the most popular "non total cheapie light" out there, and also the reason why everybody who so far has borrowed my L2P, has used it as a twistie (how freaking hard is it to figure out what the purpose of the BIG BUTTON ON THE END is for)! You see them everywhere! And not to mention the clones.

But I wont disagree with you that it's not that popular among flashoholics like us, we usually want something smaller to EDC, or something much bigger and brighter.

Flashaholic

I agree that the L2D is not as clean or even looking as the L1D, but believe me: the grip of the L2D is a whole lot better.

I got my L2D about three weeks ago and my mothers L1D arrived last week. yes, it is about 5cm shorter, but nevertheless the L2D fits much better into ones hand, even my mother said that and she is small person with analogous small hands. her decisicion to keep the L1D nevertheless, is only because it fits better in her handbag.

the size of the L2D is just perfect for my taste. I wear it the whole day in its holster on my belt and I would not want to trade it for the L1D or the even smaller P1D.

regards, holger

Flashaholic

Duh2 Re: Why are 2xAA lights so ugly?

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

I love the idea of the Fenix L2D-CE...longer life, hi turbo mode, etc. But the light just doesn't look good. Its just not as clean looking as the L1D. Am I alone here?
    No, you're not. I've been bugging 4sevens about it for a while now. The L2P is a very simple and elegant body. The only drawback is that it slides in one's hand. Maybe that's why they changed the design, or maybe it was one of those "tactical" nonsense approaches. Regardless, I think the new style bodies are fugly.

Personnally I prefer the L2D/L2T body style! It gives them a unique style and a lot more grip!

Quote Originally Posted by SoundMix
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"
    "For every ugly gal, there is a guy with bad taste"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast