Bulbs in 15 MCP lights

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
I noticed when looking at a few of the 15 million candle power spotlights, that some had clear bulbs (well, kinda clear) and some had a flat black coating about 1/2 inch long, back from the tip. Is one of the bulbs better than the other?

Patriot

Flashaholic
NeedMoreLight, I believe that the only difference is that the "blacked out" or "silvered out" bulb tips were intended for automotive use. The brightest portion of the beam is hidden to a viewers eyes. The clear were designed for utility use as in spotlights and such. I've noticed no difference in throw between the two different bulbs in my Cyclops 15MCP.

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info, but it raises another question... Which light?????? Guess I will close my eyes and pick.

Patriot

Flashaholic
NeedMoreLight said:
Thanks for the info, but it raises another question... Which light?????? Guess I will close my eyes and pick.

It seems that all of them labled 130w seem to be pretty equal. The one thing that does change is the color temperature. I like mine yellowish-white. I don't like the blue-purple tints. For me, 5000K and under works best. :)

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
For the record, a bulb is a glass housing that is gas filled and protects the inner components of the "lamp". A lamp is a device that emits light through a heated filament or charged gasses. A bulb is simply a glass encasing that is part of it all.

Whenever someone in the theatre asks me for a bulb, I am tempted to hand them a tulip bulb and say "here"

Sorry, technical theatre major.

SteveTheReaper

Newly Enlightened
Taken from Dictionary.com:
bulb
3.Electricity.
a.the glass housing, in which a partial vacuum has been established, that contains the filament of an incandescent electric lamp.
b.an incandescent or fluorescent electric lamp.

Xzn

Newly Enlightened
Yes,

3.Electricity. a.the glass housing, in which a partial vacuum has been established, that contains the filament of an incandescent electric lamp. b.an incandescent or fluorescent electric lamp.
a) is exactly what i said. It's a part of a lamp
b) no where did they say the bulb produces light, they referred it back to "the lamp"

Cause technically, a bulb is kind of a half rounded shaped objected. Like i had to press the primer "bulb" on my lawn mower to get it running.