Elite Flashlights - The Best LED Flashlights, Chargers and Batteries

Thread: dang cuts...new knife!

Naughty dang cuts...new knife!

got 4 stitches yesterday, had never had them before, just the glue. its still numb a bit, hurts like hell. im also gonna go buy an ontario fixed blade within the week. dont know how i swung that with my parents right after being cut

questions

whats the worst place youve cut yourself & how did you do it?
    Last edited by jds009; 03-07-2007 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    Jon
    keep your friends close & your enemies closer

><>

Default Re: dang cuts...new knife!

Being a former Boy Scout, I have my fair share of cuts, mostly thanks to non-locking folding knives (Swiss Army). I had one snap shut on my finger one time. I also managed to hit my left pointer finger with a small hatchet while splitting kindling. Thankfully it wasn't a full stroke...

My most recent cut was while trying to sharpen a small nick out of my Benchmade. I was really leaning into the extra coarse stone on my Lansky kit and I slipped and cut myself pretty good on a knuckle. That sucker is just now getting fully healed up and I did it a few weeks ago (good reason to keep a sharp knife).
    Surefire G2 * E2E * 6P w/A19
    JetBeam MkII AA TAD edition * C-LE
    Streamlight TLR-1 on Sig P220R

*Flashaholic*

don't play with knives, that's how you get hurt!

it's hard not to with a new blade... when I catch myself playing with a blade. that's when that blade gets put away.

Quote Originally Posted by jds009
    got 4 stitches yesterday, had never had them before, just the glue. its still numb a bit, hurts like hell. im also gonna go buy an ontario fixed blade within the week. dont know how i swung that with my parents right after being cut

questions

whats the worst place youve cut yourself & how did you do it?
    do you have any ontarios? im thinking about getting the air force one. should i spend 20 bucks more & get a kabar? i dont really like the leather sheath...but...

Cut twice into my right forefinger yesterday less than 10 seconds after first used the Kershaw ET...... awesome blade ......Little devil.....
    Greetings from Tenerife, Canary Islands

Michael

Got a deep cut and 4 stitches in my left index finger, just below the knuckle. The embarrassing thing was that it happened at 2 in the morning.

Note: Never play with a new knife late at night when you cannot sleep!

I can't count the times I've cut myself, so I won't even try.

The worst thing about cutting yourself, is the involuntary girl-like shriek that comes out of your mouth as you're cutting yourself. By the way, that same shriek also comes out of your mouth, when you accidently stick a fish hook in your finger.
    Sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

The Kershaw ET is a guaranteed cut waiting to happen. Mine actually came from the vendor with a pack of bandaids!!

I made it about 45 seconds before it bit me!

Bill
    Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
    Benjamin Franklin

worst cut wasn't a knife, but an x-acto razor saw - I was hand holding the work (yeah - I know, dumb) when the saw slipped, and went across the back of my left thumbs knuckle - they is still a nice little notch in the bone that I sawed out in that split second - oh, 25 years yeas ago

I hate to say it, but it is the best way to learn. I keep learning all the time...
    Take risks because if you don't you'll never know...
    Arc AAA-P(at least the old P), Wolf Eyes 6a, MAG 6D, Jet Beam C-LE, Wolf Eyes D2AX , 2D M@glite ROP. Everything else is crap or at least now it is...

I had a swiss army knife that I use to carry since I was 16 years old ( given to me by my grandfather ). Anyway it folded on me while I was using it and I switched to a locked swiss army knife and never look back since then.

P.S. I bleed like heck and it hurt like heck too !!

i wasnt playing much, i was sharpening my knife ( a cheap schrade) & checked to see if it was sharp on a stick, went right through...
    Last edited by jds009; 03-07-2007 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot the smiley
    Jon

><>

are you on Spring break jds?

Nope, parent teachers conference! im waiting though...get to go get a new knife, camping & such, gonna be nice...
    Jon

><>

Nope, parent teachers conference! im waiting though...get to go get a new knife, camping & such, gonna be nice...
    next week is our spring break. our end of the nine weeks are on friday so no school, then we get today and tomorow off as our boys basketball is going to state.

i am going "fishing" with a special somone over our spring break.

i proved the old saying about dull knives being more dangerous just 30 minutes ago. i was slicing some bread and the knife skipped off the crust instead of biting in and bit right into my tender flesh instead. i bandaided it and thought all was well until a bit later i noticed a puddle of blood on the table where i was reading the paper. soaked all the way through the bandaid and kept running!
    ---happy searching!---

Quote Originally Posted by ginaz
    dull knives being more dangerous
    I try to explain that to people and they just don't understand me, lol...
    - JEFF

Quote Originally Posted by cutlerylover
    I try to explain that to people and they just don't understand me, lol...
    I have the exact same problem with my parents, their drawer of knives in reality has only what I consider are now butter knives I almost cut the top of my thumb off once, but since I sharpened the knife recently, it healed pretty micely in about a week.
    Last edited by D@rk Messenger; 03-07-2007 at 05:53 PM.
    All started with a streamlight keymate...CPF, NOW LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!...embarking on the journey for a real light...better than surefire ...making pathetic attempt searching for the ultimate aa cough-cree cough cough ion cough

Worst cut I've ever had was when a leatherman fell on me from a catwalk several meters above. I wound up with a pretty impressive stab wound on my forearm, but nothing life-changing.

Many, many of my friends and associates have cut themselves with my Benchmade Auto-Stryker. That thing opens with a lot more authority than it looks like, and people tend to drop it.
    A government is a body of people usually notabably ungoverned.

according to my records, I have 37 stitches in 8 different places on my hands, with another 26 stitches scattered around my body.

shop work takes a toll, but at least 14 of those are knife related.

FWIW, my first 11 stitches were courtesy of my brother when I was five years old. he cranked me over the head with a 2x4 and opened up my skull. 11 stitches later, I was back at home eating ice cream.

When I was young I was playing with my sak and decided to open all the tools. One of the tools opposite the blade was tough to close and my thumb went all the way across the blade. Largest flapper I ever had, almost lost my thumb print that day.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmade_boy
    next week is our spring break. our end of the nine weeks are on friday so no school, then we get today and tomorow off as our boys basketball is going to state.

i am going "fishing" with a special somone over our spring break.
    hmm...sounds nice! going 'fishing' eh...fun fun fun...gotta love that man

Higher order, wow...lots of stitches...ive had glue but this was my first stitches...
    Jon

><>

Super Moderator

Loading an open sided trailer I leaned across the side and discovered license plates are a potential weapon. It bit me a couple of inches above the knee. I never felt any pain and only noticed it when I saw my sock was red. 5-6 stiches.

Flashaholic

Worse cut i've gotten was when i was sanding off a cheap paint finish off a CS kukri. Slipped and cut a huge cash that wouldn't stop bleeding. It eventually did, i finished up. Lesson learned is always wear kevlar gloves when working with knives. I have an ontario and i think they are good quality. Edge is good for a fixed blade and im sure they last a long while although i haven't abused mine. Either way, im sure you'll be happy

01001001001000000110010001101111011011100010011101 110100001000000 11010110110111001101111011101110010000001100010011 01001011011100110 00010111001001111001001000000110001101101111011001 0001100101001011 00001000000110100100100000011010100111010101110011 011101000010000 00111010101110011011001010110010000100000011000010 010000001110100 01110010011000010110111001110011011011000110000101 1101000110111101 11001000100001001000000011101000101001

hmm...sounds nice! going 'fishing' eh...fun fun fun...gotta love that man
    yes plenty of fun. the only hard part is trying to convince my mom why we should go "fishing" at night instead of the day. she just doesnt really see my point.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmade_boy
    yes plenty of fun. the only hard part is trying to convince my mom why we should go "fishing" at night instead of the day. she just doesnt really see my point.
    haha, good luck with that! now i have that song in my head...garth brooks
    "You & me going fishing in the dark,
    lying on our backs & counting the stars,
    where the cool grass grows"
    Jon

><>

My worst cut was from a Mach 3 razor... I was reaching into a suitcase in the dark, and didn't realize that the razor was in there. I got three very clean cuts through my thumbnail and deep into my thumb.

Worst injury was a mountain bike handlebar going through my cheek (!) and into my lower jaw.

I just sliced myself pretty good while sharpening my mini-griptillian the other day... it's my first "nice" knife, and it keep suprising me with how well it holds an edge.
    Last edited by vtunderground; 03-08-2007 at 04:12 AM.

First and worst cut was with a SAK classic when I was a little over 5. Taught me valuable lesson and was the last time I significantly hurt myself with a knife. It was not until recently that I went back to non-locking pocket knives.
    www.EDCdepot.com Please use the coupon code CPF to receive your 5% discount on all purchases. If we carry it, so should you. FREE Spy Capsule with every order.

Quote Originally Posted by vtunderground

Worst injury was a mountain bike handlebar going through my cheek (!) and into my lower jaw.
    Ouch, ive been cut alot by my bikes...that would hurt!
    Jon

><>