Can you use 3 Protected cells at one time?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if its possible and safe to use 3 protected RCR123a at once, in a C3 for example. I've heard that they don't like to be used in sets more than two, but I can't remember if that was for unprotected or what....

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was under the impression that the more you use in series the better the chance of an uneven discharge, and that itself was the big deal..

mzzj

Newly Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello KDOG3,

No problem, but remember the voltage is higher.

Tom
Any idea if all protection circuits use pmos+nmos combination as load switch? Or just either of them and have very limited over-voltage or under-voltage protection because of body-diode?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering the possibility of using it with a Downboy750, which has a 3-16V input range. I guess I'll have to break out the ol' cheapie voltmeter and see how they rate.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well i just tested all four of the ones I have for voltage. I guess I lucked out. They've been sitting off to the side for a few days and they all still measure 4.2V exactly. Nice. Can't measure current though, my stupid cheap POS voltmeter ( I just bought yesterday in fact ) only goes to 250mah...

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Mzzj,

There are a variety of protection circuits available and I have no idea which ones are on KDOG's cells. A PM to AW may answer your question.

Tom

qarawol

Enlightened
I have been using three protected rechargeable Li-Ion 3.6V CR123A from Battery Station in my Surefire Z3 on steriods that has the ArcMania Digital Turbo Tower Module II and have had no problems.

Njoy...

mzzj

Newly Enlightened
SilverFox said:
Hello Mzzj,

There are a variety of protection circuits available and I have no idea which ones are on KDOG's cells. A PM to AW may answer your question.

Tom
I asked AW about this and he was not sure if his cells are protected from any higher voltage than 5v. Discharging in series is not a problem. I guess that as long as total pack voltage is less than 20v its safe, ie less than 5 cells in series because I think most protection circuits use 20v or 30v rated mosfet. I think some of those crazy maglite hotwire mods are close to limit, if I remember correctly someone was running 9x14500 in series :poof: