Imalent
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kai Domain - Mysterious cheap light...

Default Kai Domain - Mysterious cheap light...

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Kai Domain - Mysterious cheap light...

Flashaholic*

Oh, just like I like my women, mysterious and cheap...

Enlightened

I must have that light...

the beam is either or that wall isnt flat

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation
    the beam is either or that wall isnt flat
    Yeah, that's the sickest beam shot yet - papier mache walls, perhaps? Or maybe an aluminium foil reflector?
    Hopefully it will look better once the full details are out.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Zebralight SC62.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Flashaholic*

UPDATED!
    Hot mama, these are gonna sell like cup cakes!

And are we talking about the same beam shot?
    http://kaidomain.com/UploadFiles/633091102156920828.jpg
    Looks fine to me?
    On the other hand, I'm not that picky, as long as it isn't as bad as Mag inc, I don't have a problem.

it seems hard to believe that you can buy the parts and ship for that price!

ken

NEVERMIND
    but the light doesnt seem out of the ordinary now
    its a cree with a pretty god heatsink
    lens somewhat scratchy
    Last edited by Illum; 03-10-2007 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo
    And are we talking about the same beam shot?
    http://kaidomain.com/UploadFiles/633091102156920828.jpg
    Looks fine to me?
    No, that's a completely different beamshot - the old one was ridiculous, but this one is quite normal.

FYI, this seems to be the same as the MXDL "ELLY" that everyone (myself included) has upgraded to a cree. A couple of bucks cheaper to buy it from Kai now, as opposed to the do-it-yourself mod.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Zebralight SC62.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt
    No, that's a completely different beamshot - the old one was ridiculous, but this one is quite normal.

FYI, this seems to be the same as the MXDL "ELLY" that everyone (myself included) has upgraded to a cree. A couple of bucks cheaper to buy it from Kai now, as opposed to the do-it-yourself mod.
    checking cache...
    http://kaidomain.com/UploadFiles/633...21248_med2.jpg

this was what we're talking about

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Lobo
    Oh, just like I like my women, mysterious and cheap...
    And so much better in the dark?! LOL

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation
    checking cache...
    http://kaidomain.com/UploadFiles/633...21248_med2.jpg

this was what we're talking about
    Ah, then I can understand your point of view. How did they make that picture? Doesnt even look like a wall, more like someone light up the light in heavy smoke...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd
    And so much better in the dark?! LOL
    Haha, perhaps.

At last, now I have a torch I can put my 10 Elly original LED stars in !!!

(From my Cree mods)

Just need to buy 10 Cree'd Elly's, (PS: like the name "Elite" BTW)
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

Enlightened

The runtime graph looks different from the Elly.

It looks like an Elly with Cree, but they made a few changes to it, including adding a glass lens, and beefier o-rings. They also mention adjustable focus, so that may mean they put multiple o-rings on the head so that it will stay sealed if you rotate it. It sounds like those things alone will make this more attractive than the old modded Elly. These would make great gifts though out of the box, about $10 total for a Cree light that runs on standard batteries is absolutely awesome. The old version used to cost $14 once you consider the price of the emitter and the flashlight, and this version is clearly superior with those changes.

Also, the lumen numbers on this websites they listed at 53 or so, compared to 20 for the original -- that sounds like the same relative (2.5 to 1) improvement I got from upgrading the emitter. Also, if they are only rating that light at 53 lumens, based on how intense mine is, that means their lumen numbers are very conservative, similar to how Surefire advertises lowball numbers.

One thing that I found is that running higher end alkalines provided even more like, and 1.5V Lithium primaries will supplied the most safely. Since the circuit is a simple voltage stepup, testing with 2 NiMH Cells would have cooked the entire light to run it for more than a split second -- it was pulling 2A at double the voltage, instead of 1A like stock, so 4 times the power.
    Last edited by 2xTrinity; 03-10-2007 at 12:22 PM.

Enlightened

If this is a non-DIY Cree'd Elly, then we ought to be able to bypass the step-up circuit and drive it with a 14500, per the other thread?
    I've got 2 Ellys and Crees on order from DX, should arrive this week. If I like them as much as everybody else does, I'll probably order a few of these too.

So it looks like the step up circuit has not been beefed up either from the original Elly?

Quote Originally Posted by davenlei
    So it looks like the step up circuit has not been beefed up either from the original Elly?
    Based on the fact that the lumens rating is 2.5X the old one, I would say no. Nonetheless, when Cree emitters alone cost $7, getting an entire flashlight with one for $11 is not shabby at all. I will probably get some to give as gifts, as that's the best flashlight by far at that price point, especially since it runs on regular batteries, I could give it to anyone without having to give them a charger and batteries -- besides, for many that aren't into electronics, that's another thing to worry about.

I measured my Cree'd Elly at around 60 lumens, slightly different from kai's new version (53 lumens).

My Elly original lumens are the same as kai's (20 lumens).

I used 2,000mah nimh, kai used 2,700mah nimh.

I achieved flatter, longer RT. Virtually flat for 90 mins, then dipping.

Not the gradual decline shown in Kai's graph.

Perhaps there is an electronics, or Cree difference.

I found my Cree mod using DX parts gave a brighter, longer, more consistent output.

That makes me feel better about having spent a little more (+£2.50) and doing the mod myself.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=153283
    Last edited by abvidledUK; 03-10-2007 at 08:17 PM.

That looks like a FAKE cree, because it's only 53 lumens if that's to believed. The cost of purchasing a real cree emitter from 'Cree Inc US.' costs much more than the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Pook

Quote Originally Posted by xiaowenzu
    That looks like a FAKE cree, because it's only 53 lumens if that's to believed. The cost of purchasing a real cree emitter from 'Cree Inc US.' costs much more than the light.
    I wouldn't say their Cree LEDs are faked -- every one I've bought from DX and dropped into a Lumileds light has apparently doubled the output at the same current -- if that's a fake, the counterfeiter is doing a fine job. Their lumen ratings seem to be lowball/conservative based on how they rate flashlights that I actually own. I'm not sure how accurate they are either -- they seem to be extrapolated by multipying Luxmeter readings by a constant based on what I've read, from a "shoebox bounce" test. It seems like that method may not be accurate for compare lumens between flashlights if they have different beam patterns.

If you read through that huge Elly thread, you'll find there's also a lot of variance just between one light and another for output. I ordered three and one was significantly dimmer than the others, for example (not any less efficient, it just drew less current). Also, since this is simple boost circuit and not current regulated the forward voltage of the LEDs and batteries used will make a big difference as well. Any one of those things could explain the lower than expected lumen rating. Either way though, it's nice to see a company be honest about posting their real results, even if it doesn't make their product look better.

Another possibility is that the particular batteries that Kai used were overrated/underperforming -- that would explain both the lower lumens and shorter runtime.
    Last edited by 2xTrinity; 03-11-2007 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2xTrinity
    I wouldn't say their Cree LEDs are faked -- every one I've bought from DX and dropped into a Lumileds light has apparently doubled the output at the same current -- if that's a fake, the counterfeiter is doing a fine job.
    That's good to hear from someone who's had first hand experience. My initial reaction is usually one of skeptism.. I think it's a consumer reflex thing I've developed to protect myself (and wallet) over the years. So this light is pretty cheap.. I assume the profit margin (if any) would be quite low, unless it's using a low quality bin Cree.

Price down to $9.99 for both the DX and Kaidomain lights Kai says no more glass lens only plastic

Is this Kai Domain $10 Cree flashlight available? When I try to buy it I get this message:
    "This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

CheviotMike
    http://mstecker.com

Quote Originally Posted by CheviotMike
    Is this Kai Domain $10 Cree flashlight available? When I try to buy it I get this message:
    "This transaction is invalid. Please return to the recipient's website to complete your transaction using their regular checkout flow."

CheviotMike
    I had the same problem deleted my cookies and then restarted my browser and all was good

I bought ten Ellys from DX, different shipments, and apart from slight tint variations, found they all gave approx the same output, before modding.

I removed the Kai cookie from my Firefox 2 browser and restarted it. I still can not buy the $10 flashlight and get the message:

Has this item been removed from the website? Why am I unable to buy it?

CheviotMike

Yep I get the same thing now how about buying this one LINK
    seems to be the same light

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast