cage

Newly Enlightened
I must have that light...
adddrooling1kb7.gif

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Illum_the_nation said:
the beam is either :sick2: or that wall isnt flat
Yeah, that's the sickest beam shot yet - papier mache walls, perhaps? Or maybe an aluminium foil reflector? :laughing:
Hopefully it will look better once the full details are out.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
it seems hard to believe that you can buy the parts and ship for that price! :)

ken

Illum

Flashaholic
NEVERMIND
but the light doesnt seem out of the ordinary now :(
its a cree with a pretty god heatsink:grin2:
lens somewhat scratchy:awman:

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Lobo said:
And are we talking about the same beam shot?
http://kaidomain.com/UploadFiles/633091102156920828.jpg
Looks fine to me? :confused:
No, that's a completely different beamshot - the old one was ridiculous, but this one is quite normal.

FYI, this seems to be the same as the MXDL "ELLY" that everyone (myself included) has upgraded to a cree. A couple of bucks cheaper to buy it from Kai now, as opposed to the do-it-yourself mod.

Illum

Flashaholic
selfbuilt said:
No, that's a completely different beamshot - the old one was ridiculous, but this one is quite normal.

FYI, this seems to be the same as the MXDL "ELLY" that everyone (myself included) has upgraded to a cree. A couple of bucks cheaper to buy it from Kai now, as opposed to the do-it-yourself mod.

checking cache...
http://kaidomain.com/UploadFiles/633090829217121248_med2.jpg

this was what we're talking about

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
At last, now I have a torch I can put my 10 Elly original LED stars in !!!

(From my Cree mods)

Just need to buy 10 Cree'd Elly's, (PS: like the name "Elite" BTW)

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like an Elly with Cree, but they made a few changes to it, including adding a glass lens, and beefier o-rings. They also mention adjustable focus, so that may mean they put multiple o-rings on the head so that it will stay sealed if you rotate it. It sounds like those things alone will make this more attractive than the old modded Elly. These would make great gifts though out of the box, about $10 total for a Cree light that runs on standard batteries is absolutely awesome. The old version used to cost $14 once you consider the price of the emitter and the flashlight, and this version is clearly superior with those changes.

Also, the lumen numbers on this websites they listed at 53 or so, compared to 20 for the original -- that sounds like the same relative (2.5 to 1) improvement I got from upgrading the emitter. Also, if they are only rating that light at 53 lumens, based on how intense mine is, that means their lumen numbers are very conservative, similar to how Surefire advertises lowball numbers.

One thing that I found is that running higher end alkalines provided even more like, and 1.5V Lithium primaries will supplied the most safely. Since the circuit is a simple voltage stepup, testing with 2 NiMH Cells would have cooked the entire light to run it for more than a split second -- it was pulling 2A at double the voltage, instead of 1A like stock, so 4 times the power.

Last edited:

ScottW

Newly Enlightened
If this is a non-DIY Cree'd Elly, then we ought to be able to bypass the step-up circuit and drive it with a 14500, per the other thread?
I've got 2 Ellys and Crees on order from DX, should arrive this week. If I like them as much as everybody else does, I'll probably order a few of these too.

davenlei

Newly Enlightened
So it looks like the step up circuit has not been beefed up either from the original Elly?

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
davenlei said:
So it looks like the step up circuit has not been beefed up either from the original Elly?
Based on the fact that the lumens rating is 2.5X the old one, I would say no. Nonetheless, when Cree emitters alone cost $7, getting an entire flashlight with one for $11 is not shabby at all. I will probably get some to give as gifts, as that's the best flashlight by far at that price point, especially since it runs on regular batteries, I could give it to anyone without having to give them a charger and batteries -- besides, for many that aren't into electronics, that's another thing to worry about.