Terralux modules overheating: solution?

Illum

Flashaholic
Many users have spoke about the heatsinking issue where, like the magled modules, cannot perform well under extreme heat conditions.

I was wondering, once you've installed say a TLE-5 into a minimag its very doubtful if its ever going to be changed...so why not pot it down with thermal epoxy between the TLE-5's base and the top edge of the maglite body?

yes this will kill the ability to switch on/off the light via bezel, but this can be aided by kroll or the nite-ize clickie. Despite users who claim its vulnerability, water leakage, and short life span I currently have 3 and so far none has given me any problems

so...does the body give added heatsinking or would this "mod" yield no improvment to the assemby?

starburst

Newly Enlightened
sssh.gif
I have several mini mags lying around I will probably try this when the
modules become available. If you can pull the heat out into the body your
hand should pull heat from the body how much I cant say. Used as a candle
we will have to wait to know for sure,but held in your hand just might be
enuogh to maintain a good level of brightness.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
im thinking maybe instead of using some thermal compund or cut modify to make contact with body you can simply use a "washer" to fill & make the connection, ill give it a try if i have the right size

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps using some of that white goopy thermal grease compound would be the best -- that stuff would allow a lot better heat conduction than nothing, but would be removable unlike the thermal adhesive.

starburst

Newly Enlightened
A copper or aluminum sink - washer etc. mounted with thermal epoxy
should tell the story!

Im not sure about the goopy grease. You may want to try it before
you do the epoxy thing incase you want to try something else later.

Illum

Flashaholic
starburst said:
sssh.gif
I have several mini mags lying around I will probably try this when the
modules become available.

the TLE-5's been available for years now...they're quite expensive and not sold in stores:awman:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Illum_the_nation said:
the TLE-5's been available for years now...they're quite expensive and not sold in stores:awman:

they're only $14 from batteryjunction,but soon the seoul version of these will come

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem solved so far, as i suggested before i used 2 washers , before it would shift bluish a little and dim a bit by the 10 minute mark last time if i remember this time with the washers so far its been running 30 minutes straight and still as bright as i started it :rock: heats definitely getting transfered as the body is getting pretty warm
as for the washers ,i didnt think i needed any thermal compound as i wanted direct metal to metal contact and with the head screwing it down tight its just fine, even with the head off ,the pill stays tight in place and washers wont move...just make sure if you do this that the washer hole is big enough to clear the middle hump on the 5ex pill so it will be connected FLUSH and makes full flat contact

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heat issues don't seem to bother me as I run Nimh cells in my MiniM@G
and it doesn't get to warm, I have been toying with the idea of mounting the
TLE-5 into another host

Illum

Flashaholic
TORCH_BOY said:
The heat issues don't seem to bother me as I run Nimh cells in my MiniM@G
and it doesn't get to warm, I have been toying with the idea of mounting the
TLE-5 into another host

as in building the thing instead of retrofiting?