Lumapower M1 vs Amilite T5....Huntlight FT01(Akromat, WHC)

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
I am close to making a decision on my next light but am having trouble pulling the trigger. I am leaning towards the Lumapower M1, but my recent searches of the T5 have me very intrigued. I have sort of ruled out the Huntlight, because it seems that it is sort of the inbetween the amilite and the M1. In other words the M1 being the best for throw, and the T5 being the best flood, and the Huntlight inbetween in both categories. The only thing the Huntlight is better for is battery life, which I guess is something I can sacrafice now.

Can some of you with both flashlights give a some more comparisons. I have seen the reviews and comparisons made by Akromat and WHC, but I was hoping for your personal preference between the two. I know beam shots don't really give the full picture of the light so speak your minds. Which of the two lights would you rather have?

Thanks for your help guys.

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not trying to be a butthead or anything, but do you want throw or flood? I mean, you are considering both the M1 (great throw) and the T5 (floodier) but have ruled out the balance between them?

thinking.gif

I don't get it.

But, to be helpful, here is an interesting thread that might help.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155914

I've never played with a T5, but to restate the obvious, if you have a need for more throw and don't mind the larger 2x123 form factor, the M1 is the likely choice. If you want a much smaller light with less throw and more flood, go for the T5.

They both seem to be very popular lights. Have you considered buying both, using them for your actual uses for a couple weeks, then selling the one least suited to your needs? You'll take a bit of a hit, but you'll be assured that you got the right light!

Kabible

Enlightened
It really comes down to what the light will be used for. My FT01-XSE was intended for walking my neighborhood at night. There are no streetlights here so the ambient light changes with the moon cylces. And for veiwing things up close or at various distanctes, having 5 output levels is very handy. The 18650 gives ample runtime. The size & weight feel just right for walks of 15-60 minutes.
...With it's refocused OP reflector, the beam has a medium sized center spot with fairly wide and BRIGHT side spill. Fortunately, the Cree gives a slightly cool but very white color.
...I think the FT01-XSE/OP is ideally suited for it's nightly task. I use other lights for other tasks based on their beam pattern and form factor. D-mini/OP & LOD-CE at work (auto mechanic). MkIIx for EDC. Modified Magcharger & WF500 on each side of the bed for non leathal defense (followed by center-mass warning shot if needed).

So, what ever your choice will be used for, choose the right tool.

nitrolight

Newly Enlightened
first of all....you wont make a mistake if you choose either of them because both are great lights!! if you want throw and don't care about battery life go for the m1. for flood you may consider the l2d ce but nothing can beat the quality of surefire!!

my opinion....................buy both! you will always wonder how the other one's like!!but if you must choose....goodluck:touche:

whc

Enlightened
It's two totally different flashlights I think. The M1 is throw and runtime, the T5 is flood and EDC.

If I had to select just one, I would go for the M1, the T5's runtime on rechargeable is just to short, and personally I only use rechargeable batteries, though for EDC the T5 would be my preferred one out of all my EDC flashlights at this moment, like it very much.

Why don't you buy both :D?.

akromat

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree with WHC, the M1 gives good runtimes and you can always get the OP reflector for a "floody" beam like the T5. If money is no object, get both!

javafool

Enlightened
I don't own a T5, but I like the features and the beam of my Huntlight FT01 much better than my M1. This is no more than my personal preference, but to me the Huntlight has a lot more of what I want in a flashlight (at least using 18650 rechargables).

EnterTheSwamp

Newly Enlightened
cratz2 said:
Not trying to be a butthead or anything, but do you want throw or flood? I mean, you are considering both the M1 (great throw) and the T5 (floodier) but have ruled out the balance between them?

thinking.gif

I don't get it.

Ha :grin2: Your right. I just haven't made up my mind whether or not I want a "thrower" or a flood light. I just figured I would make up my mind on a category and get the one that best fits the bill. I am leaning towards a thrower, because I just want one flashlight(For now:D) that can do everything. I figure a flood can never throw, but you can always move your flash light if you need to see something outside of your "thrower's" beam.

Seems like some of you prefer the huntlight over the M1. Which one is better for say up close jobs? JAVAFOOL: What about the features and the beam did you specifically like better than the M1?

Why can't you experts just make up your mind and pick one flashlight and anoint it the king of all flashlights. :p

SEMIJim

Enlightened
EnterTheSwamp said:
I figure a flood can never throw, but you can always move your flash light if you need to see something outside of your "thrower's" beam.
That's true, but if you can't see there, how do you know you need to look there? I anxiously awaited the M1. And at first it looked good. But the more beam-shots I saw, the less I liked it. Too much throw and not enough flood, for me. I'm thinking the T5 now. I really would've preferred it with 2x123, but it's a better EDC light this way, I suppose.

javafool

Enlightened
EnterTheSwamp said:
Ha :grin2: <snip>

Seems like some of you prefer the huntlight over the M1. Which one is better for say up close jobs? JAVAFOOL: What about the features and the beam did you specifically like better than the M1?

Why can't you experts just make up your mind and pick one flashlight and anoint it the king of all flashlights. :p

I have already made up my mind, it seems you are the one having the problem in that catagory :grin2:, but I am no expert except on my opinion.

The M1 has high and low brightness. The diameter of the hottspot is pretty useful, but too small to see any kind of area at 50 - 100 feet. It will throw farther if you need over 150' *most* of the time.

The Huntlight has a larger diameter hotspot which lights up a very useful area in my back yard in the 50 - 125 foot range. If you tap the button once, the light dims some, but is still quite bright with a much longer battery life. Need a low light for those up close jobs with a really long run time? Huntlight has a setting that is about equal to the M1 on low and another that is even less bright. When I walk the dogs after dark, I can use it to light our way or in semi-lighted areas I use strobe, pointed at the pavement in front or behind me, to alert drivers that I am there. This is very effective in helping to keep my sorry butt from getting run over.

The M1 and the Huntlight are both great, very rugged flashlights. The larger hotspot and the extra features of the Huntlight simply suit my needs better.

javafool

Last edited:

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice summary, javafool. I also have both and give them each high marks. Likewise, though, I find myself reaching for the HL more as of late. It has the SMO reflector, and the rings are very prominent, but something about that large hotspot just makes it so darn useful. It reminds me in that way of my old SF E2L---sort of a strange square beam with only moderate throw (and no spill to speak of), but I used the heck out of it.

Additionally, at first I thought the HL's 5 levels + SOS + Strobe were too much. I'm beginning to appreciate them more, and find the lower levels, in conjunction with the HL's beam pattern, more useful than the Low setting on the M1. I'm also a nocturnal dog walker, and am finally beginning to see what javafool and others have been saying about the strobe---it really does seem to get our local speeders' attention better than anything.

One thing about my FT01 that seems a bit odd is that after turning it off, unless you wait a full 14 seconds before turning it back on, it will start at the next level in the sequence. I wish it defaulted back to High after a much shorter "off" period. Are all FT01 XR-E's like this?

Last edited:

javafool

Enlightened
rolling said:
The text is german. but the picturs are nice. the second below is the m1. i thing thats more flood then anybody need...
http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=41827

Those are great pictures. The picture showing the M1 pointed at the gate is part of the issue I have with the tight, bright beam. If you darken the photo so the the hotspot in the center is the correct exposure, then the sidespill becomes a lot less useful. Likewise, when you are blinded by such a small, bright, hotspot, the sidespill is indeed less useful at night in my opinion.

daveman

Enlightened
AFAustin said:
...One thing about my FT01 that seems a bit odd is that after turning it off, unless you wait a full 14 seconds before turning it back on, it will start at the next level in the sequence. I wish it defaulted back to High after a much shorter "off" period. Are all FT01 XR-E's like this?
I really think Huntlight should all together eliminate that "brief" period of time the FT-01 will jump to the next lower level of output after clicking off, then on. If I want to jump to a lower level, I'll just slightly tap the button, as the FT-01 is wisely designed to do, there's no funtional purpose for the few seconds of window after the light has been turned off...