My L2 is making a buzzing sound

s.duff

Enlightened
I just received a used L2 from the board today and after popping some batteries in it, I noticed that on the low, there is a very audible buzzing sound. The sound is not present on high. Is there anything I can do to eliminate it?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
s.duff said:
I just received a used L2 from the board today and after popping some batteries in it, I noticed that on the low, there is a very audible buzzing sound. The sound is not present on high. Is there anything I can do to eliminate it?

If you have the four sided model, (the first model) then I believe that this is normal, mine did it as well. If you have the later three sided model than the buzzing was much lower or nothing. Apparently the electronics is the same in both, cant explain why the difference. While actually using the light you wont notice the buzzing very much at all. Was one of my favourite lights for a long time.

Illum

Flashaholic
ah yes, if you can hear that sound you know the inductors working :thumbsup:

this buzzing noise has been known to occur in not just the surefire digital lumamax series but the A2 and gladius too

the sound should only occur when you activate the light and not continuous, if so you might be looking at a connection issue...dunno, can't explain it but when I use my A2's xenon beam on constant on by pushing down and holding the rubber TC the buzzing is continuous, but if I set the TC to constant on by twisting the noise can only be heard for less than a second or so.:ohgeez:

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

S. Duff: All L2's do that... not to worry. I also thought there might be something wrong with my L2 when I first used it - but I came to this forum and read a lot of other people's posts saying that their A2 does it too.

Illum_the_nation: You say that A2's and Gladius flashlights buzz also. I have four A2's, none of them buzz like my L2. Have they changed the circuitry between the first versions of the A2 and what is currently being sold?

Best wishes,
Bawko

Illum

Flashaholic
I dont know...but something tells me the L2s sound isnt the same as the A2 buzz...since I dont have an L2, I cant tell you much:ohgeez:

carrot

Flashaholic
The A2 only buzzes momentarily when the incan is initially activated. The L2 will have a quiet buzz/hum as long as 'low' is activated.

Atomic_Chicken

Enlightened
Greetings!

carrot said:
The A2 only buzzes momentarily when the incan is initially activated. The L2 will have a quiet buzz/hum as long as 'low' is activated.

Mine all do the same thing - about 1/4 second. However... you have to hold them up to your ear to hear it... you can't hear it in your hand at normal holding distance like you can an L2.

Best wishes,
Bawko