Luggage Dog-Tag Concept

Ned

Newly Enlightened
Luggage Dog-Tag Concept

Seems like my luggage tags are always getting stolen, ripped off, lost, and for other reasons needing replacement. I came up with this idea as a solution. Actually some of the awesome lanyards posted on CPF inspired me to try this. I used some paracord, cored and soaked in water (so it shrinks tight when dried), and a custom dog tag with my name, phone number, etc. Basically this is a paracord knife handle wrap that secures the dog tag to the bag's handle. It's done this way so it doesn't interfere with using the handle comfortably and doesn't flop around. I put the dog tag face-down, so a casual look makes it hard to read, but it can be flipped up and read easily.

Here's what it looks like:

Luggagetag800.jpg

Besides being tough and relatively unobtrusive, this luggage tag solution is cheap (around $4 for the dog tag and and pennies for the paracord you'll need).

How to create a luggage dog-tag:

Buy your dog tags with whatever you want on them from:

www.dogtagsonline.com

Get as much 550-type paracord (best is the real deal, MIL-C-5040H TYPE III Parachute Cord) as you need in your choice of color. Recommended vendor:

http://supplycaptain.com/

Suggestion: A contrasting or bright color will make it easier to spot your bag and confirm its identity in the baggage madness at the airport.

Cut about 24 - 30 inches, depending on how many wraps you need, of paracord in a color you like.

Strip the core from the paracord: Cut one end and pull out the long white cords that are in the center. This leaves only the outer sheath of woven nylon. It's strong enough for this application and easier to wrap tightly.

Soak the paracord for about 20 minutes in warm water. This allows you to stretch it tightly when you are wrapping the handle, and soaking also means that the cord will shrink a bit and tighten on itself as it dries.

Feed one end through the hole in the dog-tag and make a loop leaving one end much shorter. You will be using the long end for wrapping. The diagram below shows you the rest.

When you near the end, thread the end you are wrapping with through the loop as shown and pull the top end of the cord to tighten the loop and snug the dog-tag up against the lower layer of cord. Trim the end to about one inch and using a toothpick or small screwdriver carefully feed the remaining cord end up under several of the wrap layers until it can't be seen. This will secure the loose end.

Trim the top end to about 1/4" or less and stuff it in behind the top layers of wrapping. After this handle wrap dries overnight it should be nice and snug on the handle. There should be just enough resistance to keep the dog-tag from flopping around but still keep if free enough to allow it to be flipped up for reading.

DogtaghandleInstructions.jpg

CLHC

Flashaholic
Hey that's a neat concept and I like it! No way for it to be easily ripped/torn off from the luggage(s). Besides, it's easier to spot when at the baggage claim and no confusion with someone else's if they have same luggage. Way to go! :thumbsup:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
How is that different than just tying it on?

When I need to make a luggage tag for traveling, I usually use an old cd rom. Some of those are unbreakable. I just write my name with a sharpie.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using nylon ties to secure the tags. I also put them on one or two of the zippers. Your soulution is much nicer looking with the advantage of finding the luggage easier.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Just a paranoid practice of mine...I always put my destination number/address on my luggage, in case prying eyes decide to visit my home residence while I'm gone (and to deliver my bag where I need it in case it gets misrouted).

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just love the concept! :)

However, the dogtags are not large enough for my address(es) to fit on them nicely :( (considering that the text has to be arranged for strangers to figure out). Anybody see similar offerings with larger tags?

Ned

Newly Enlightened
jds009 said:
Hey, cool idea! have you every had your luggage stolen/lost ned?
Oh yeah! I've had luggage stolen, lost permanently and for a few days, and rifled through.

Mostly I just carry-on these days so my odds have improved considerably. Even then some of the smaller commuter jets do not have adequate on-board storage, and so you have to check.

Pokerstud

Enlightened
Sigman said:
Just a paranoid practice of mine...I always put my destination number/address on my luggage, in case prying eyes decide to visit my home residence while I'm gone (and to deliver my bag where I need it in case it gets misrouted).

Good point. I always put the following on my luggage for the same reason, because you should never trust anyone dishonest not to take advantage of you.

NAME
CITY / STATE
CELL # ( not home # )

Very good idea by the way with the dog tag ID, very well explained and documented. Nice job. :thumbsup:

StuToffee

Newly Enlightened
Neat idea. Im gonna put one on my EDC bag using that method.
I never put my home address on luggage. I use my business address & of course the destination.
I NEVER put a luggage tag on my carry-on luggage (usually a Maxped Falcon) & Ive lost count of the number of times Ive been stood behind people in queues at check-in, security, duty-free shops & have been able to easily read name, address & phone number off the tags.
I mean, IF youre dumb enough to leave your carry-on luggage anywhere, a tag isnt gonna get it returned to you, is it? In an Airport?
ANY unattended bags would be taken away by the Bomb Squad & blown up, wouldnt they?

CLHC

Flashaholic
StuToffee said:
ANY unattended bags would be taken away by the Bomb Squad & blown up, wouldnt they?
I believe you're right about that. . .At least that's what I hear. :poof: