dark spot in surefire beam

forteconfuoco

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I've got a Surfire G2. A few days ago I noticed that the beam spot has a dark spot in it. I checked the reflector for anything that could be affecting reflection but I found nothing. Any ideas about what could be causing this?

Thanks.

forteconfuoco

Newly Enlightened
The spot is slight (but noticable) and is off to the side.

Any way to fix this? Or should I get a new bulb/reflector?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E2D has a slight donut hole. You can only see it "white wall hunting." This is not an artifact due to the lamp as it is present when I rotate lamp assemblies. It doesn't bother me though. You can't see it when out in the "wilds of Northern California."

KelMo

golden_creature

Newly Enlightened
if you get a dark spot when holding the torch close to a wall it may be the shadow cast by the filament- i think. gc.

forteconfuoco

Newly Enlightened
I looked at the filament and it does look a bit off. I think I'll give surefire a call or an email. Thanks everyone!

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
benighted said:
Yeah, just call Surefire and tell them you have a faulty bulb. They'll probably send you a new one

Would they (SF) replace, this bulb even though due to carelessness (dropped)?

glennser

Newly Enlightened
Jumpstat, it was suggested that the light was dropped but it doesn't seem as though that's the case here.
I doubt Surefire would replace a bulb if you admitted to dropping the light however I doubt they'd accuse a customer of causing damage with no evidence.
Apologies if you weren't suggesting this particular light was dropped.
Glennser

forteconfuoco

Newly Enlightened
Indeed the light was dropped. But it was a slight drop...3 or 4 feet onto ice. Would this really cause such damage in a surefire?

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
glennser, I wasn't suggesting anything however just curious on whats SF's policy on this replacement. Anyway all the best to forteconfuoco.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast
forteconfuoco said:
Indeed the light was dropped. But it was a slight drop...3 or 4 feet onto ice. Would this really cause such damage in a surefire?

I think it was just plain bad luck, incans being of filaments do suffer if subjected to sudden shock..... I suggest also to try 3rd party bulb manufacturers such as lumens factory's replacement bulbs at http://www.lumensfactory.com/ and welcome to CPF :)

Last edited:

forteconfuoco

Newly Enlightened
jumpstat said:
I think it was just plain bad luck, incans being of filaments do suffer if subjected to sudden shock..... I suggest also to try 3rd party bulb manufacturers such as lumens factory's replacement bulbs at http://www.lumensfactory.com/ and welcome to CPF :)

Thank you! :)

Would 3rd party bulbs be of good quality?

Illum

Flashaholic
if you can see the direction of the filament is bending towards... have you tried heating it up and whack it the other way? I mean jeez... since you'll be buying a new lamp anyway...:laughing:

If I understand you correctly, third-party lamps have questionable quality...but its worth the try, after hearing suggestions from the forum of the peticular site youplan to order off of course:grin2:

Size15's

Flashaholic
The fact that the bulb did not break when you dropped it is in my opinion a sign of a robust and durable bulb. I've had three successful "whack" back into shape experiences with SureFire bulbs after deliberately dropping/abusing them. Best to get a new lamp though.

Al

glennser

Newly Enlightened
Sorry Jumpstat, guess I was the one confused, no offense intended.
Glennser
PS I don't think they would replace it knowing it was dropped, it did survive the fall anyway.

Latest posts