Edit: Is my tailcap....uhoh

AyeMayanor

Enlightened
My L4 arrived on Thursday and was used well into the evening with no problems. (It came just in time for a family emergency.) However, by Friday night I noticed a jingling "loose part" sound coming from the tailcap when I clicked it ON. Shaking it gently confirmed that it was indeed jingling. It was not there the day before and disappears when clicked OFF. The light has not been dropped either.

I removed the tailcap to be sure the sound was from there and not the batteries.

I did a few searches and found the discussions concerning actual failure of the Z57 tailcap – flickering, unable to click off - but nothing about jingling switches and no change in light output. The light works fine.

Do I have a loose switch? Should I bother calling Surefire on Monday?

I was already set on buying a second switch and the McE2S assembly before the light got here, so if this one is about to fail I'll use it as the host. No big deal. This is my first Surefire, so I'm just curious about whether or not this is normal.

The L4 has met and exceeded all of my expectations. I love every bit of it, despite the questionable tailcap.

Thanks,
Justin

Last edited:

iamerror

Enlightened
Re: Is my tailcap supposed to jingle?

I am on my second E2E tailcap. I do not know why it rattles, but mine does as well (when it is turned on). So far it has been working fine. Sorry I could not answer your question better.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only own one Z57, and it makes that cheap sounding rattle when shaken while clicked on.

BBL

Enlightened

The rattling is normal while the switch is ON.

While the mechanism is locked in the on-position, the rear-most part is free inside the housing.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast

As previously stated, that sound is normal. I have experienced the same thing, and I don't really like it....:whistle:

GeoffS

Newly Enlightened

Same for me. My E2E tailcap rattles as well when it is in the on position.

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have added an Aleph tailcap, (2) stage which I prefer and no rattle and is ery smooth...........low adds a nice level for use.

123584855-M.jpg

jeffb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I fix to that rattle is to dismantle the tailcap and lubricate the black plastic click action part of the tailcap switch, it will lower the chance of a switch jam and no more rattling.

AyeMayanor

Enlightened

I fix to that rattle is to dismantle the tailcap and lubricate the black plastic click action part of the tailcap switch, it will lower the chance of a switch jam and no more rattling.

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Update: The switch is now stuck. :rant:

A few more clicks was all it needed to seize up. Now I have to press really hard to turn it on and even harder, sometimes repeatedly, to turn it off.

*sigh* I guess I will be calling Surefire tomorrow.

Argh.

Last edited: