Solar-powered light board

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every year I give a couple talks on solar power at the local Homebuilder's Expo. I thought some of you would be interested in my solar-powered light demonstration board, which is a complete working solar system. When the Expo demonstration tents overloaded the electrical circuit, I was the only one with power.

A 50-watt Kyocera multicrystal solar panel fills a Trojan 80Ah AGM battery. The battery plugs into the light board. The LED you see is a 12V light, brighter when looking straight on than the 75-watt incandescent and 26-watt full-spectrum CFL., both of which are on an AC circuit that comes from a new 300-watt Morningstar pure sine wave inverter that can take a surge of 600 watts for 15 minutes. The Trimetric meter can read battery voltage or the amps being drawn by the lights or by any appliance I plug into the board.

I show people the brightness of the bulbs, and then I show them the amps being drawn. The incandescent uses about 7 amps. The CFL (which is much brighter) uses a little over 2 amps. And the LED, which is the brightest looking straight on (although not the brightest for total lumens) generally bounces between 0.0 and 0.1 amps. Just one hour of sun on my solar panels (one hour total sun, not one hour each day) can power my LED reading light for 4 hours every single night for a year. And the LED puts more light on the page I'm reading than the 75 watt incandescent when both are 2 feet from the page.

The Kill A Watt meter can read phantom power, which is the power most appliances use when turned off. It can read watts, amps, voltage, power factor, volt-amps and kilowatt-hours. My older model TV, if watched 4 hours a day, will use twice as much electricity during the 20 hours it is turned off as it does durning the 4 hours that I'm watching it. To get rid of phantom power, I plug my appliances into a surge protector (usually a Isobar, although I use a cheaper one on this board) and turn off the surge protector after I turn off the appliance.

The shunt (the brass thing in the middle of the board, is a very precise resistor which allows the Trimetric to read amps.

The problem I've found with 12V LEDs is that most are direct drive and designed for 12 volts. But a solar system runs from 12 volts to 15.5 volts, and the higher voltages push more amps through the LEDs shortening their lives by a lot. So now I use mostly AC LED lights, which are not quite as efficient but last a lot longer.

Here's the board with the lights turned off so you can see things better.

DSC00683.jpg

Last edited:

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great setup you have there. I'm also in the process of putting a system together on a peice of plywood. Currently, I have what I could best describe as a crude Uninterriuptable Power Supply. It's about halfway done though; just needs a charge controller and some solar modules.
12Volts.jpg

I used an old 12ah SLA battery I took out of a junked electric scooter. Above the battery in the middle of the board is an DC ammeter from a dead battery charger for an electric scissor lift. Next to that is a battery analyzer (minus the cigarette lighter connector) I got from WalMart which serves as a voltmeter. The row of automotive fuses on the far right of the board protect the individual runs to each circuit and the terminal strip in the lower middle is the negative bus bar. You can also see the back part of my inverter in the lower left corner of the picture.
Right now, it's being charged by that transformer and diodes sitting to the left of the battery. I have to watch the battery voltage and unplug it when the voltage hits 13.5 volts. Definately need a charge controller here; I've already overcharged the battery a few times when I forgot to unplug the transformer. The blank space over on the left side of the board is the spot I reserved for a charge controller. I'm thinking about getting a Xantrex C-40 or a Morningstar PS-30. This setup currently operates two compact fluorescent lamps, a 13" TV/VCR combo, and a tabletop fan via the inverter plus a MR-16 halogen light, cigarette lighter (for charging cellphone/iPod via a car adaptor), and a car stereo/cd player which are all operated directly off DC current.

When done, it will have 160 watts of solar panels and two golf cart batteries for storage.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, Yuandrew. It's fun to see what other people are doing. I just switched from using a cheap modified sine wave 300-watt inverter that I bought from Costco for about $30 to the $250 Morningstar 300-watt sine wave inverter. I was pretty amazed at how much more efficient it was. The incan bulb takes about 15 percent fewer amps to run. I'd be afraid to recharge anything with the cheaper inverters. I lost a cordless-drill charger due to that.

JoshuaFl

Newly Enlightened
Very cool stuff! If solar panels weren't so expensive I would do more experimenting. Looks like a lot of fun.

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Josey said:
Cool, Yuandrew. It's fun to see what other people are doing. I just switched from using a cheap modified sine wave 300-watt inverter that I bought from Costco for about $30 to the $250 Morningstar 300-watt sine wave inverter. I was pretty amazed at how much more efficient it was. The incan bulb takes about 15 percent fewer amps to run. I'd be afraid to recharge anything with the cheaper inverters. I lost a cordless-drill charger due to that.

I read a lot about inverters while putting my setup together. I knew Morningstar made charge controllers but it seems like they just introduced that particular inverter recently. I'm also using a sine wave inverter as well; it's an AIMs 300 watt from InvertersRus. Another good low-cost sine wave inverter are the Samlex PST series which Fry's Electronics recently began carrying. Both those inverters can be purchased for around 150$

From what I've read, some motors such as shaded pole type motors may have trouble operating on modified square wave inverters. A friend of mine who is also into small-scale solar has an old Statpower Porta-Watzz inverter had problems running his box fan off it (The fan spun slower than normal and made a loud buzzing sound) but it ran normally off my inverter. Also, as you unfortunately found out, some cordless tool chargers such as DeWalt and Makita can be damaged by modified square wave inverters. Most other loads can draw up to 20% more current on modified square wave.

A few compact fluorescent bulbs (mostly the cheaper Chinese made brands) may also have problems running off inverters due to the square wave power. Some off grid forums and websites recommended Sylvania CFLs for modified sine wave inverters.