A couple things I learned today about the L1D-CE

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1D-CE does not fit in a Nite-Ize Mini Lite-Lok holster. The faceted sides have a larger diameter than the L2D-CE's narrow section. Bummer.

Also, a pair of 1/2AA NiMHs from Dinball RC Mart does not work in the L1D-CE. Each "1/2"AA is 29mm long, while an ordinary AA is 50mm long, so the L1D-CE's tailcap doesn't even get far enough for the threading to engage. Another bummer.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now. If I find out anything else that isn't already widely known around here, I'll post it.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doh! Yeah some "1/2" cells are not really 1/2 dimensions. Some are, some aren't. Depends on application. I forget what site had a chart with all the sizes...

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Night Ize Spare Power Mini-Flashlight holster for the 2AA MiniM@G does fit the L1D/L2D, its a tight fit at first. part no SPH-02, It also fits my Fenix L2T/L1T, L2P/L1P
and its also has 2 small pockets for spare cells, thats where the LOD fits nice and snug

mchlwise

Enlightened
Valpo Hawkeye said:
What about a spacer?

You mean use one of the 1/2s with a spacer to make up the difference?

I think what he was trying to do was use 2 1.5v 1/2 aa's in series to run the L1DCE at 3 volts.

I'm sure a spacer would work to use the battery, but it wouldn't give him the additional output he's looking for.

:shrug:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mchlwise said:
You mean use one of the 1/2s with a spacer to make up the difference?

I think what he was trying to do was use 2 1.5v 1/2 aa's in series to run the L1DCE at 3 volts.

I'm sure a spacer would work to use the battery, but it wouldn't give him the additional output he's looking for.

:shrug:

Wow, never thought about that option, would have been very nice if it had worked. Anyone know any other options to drive the L1D at 3.0V without drilling or boring the tube out? Or any other 1/2 AA that would fit? The only 1/2AA I found are 3,7V lithiums.

mchlwise

Enlightened
Lobo said:
Anyone know any other options to drive the L1D at 3.0V without drilling or boring the tube out? Or any other 1/2 AA that would fit? The only 1/2AA I found are 3,7V lithiums.

The fairly easy but expensive way is to split a CRV3 camera battery.

If you're not familiar with them, their designed to drop into certain cameras. What they are is 2 aa batteries linked together and put in a plastic case. They can be removed from the case, separated, cleaned up, and used as a 3-volt AA...

IF you get the right ones. Some are two 1.5 volt AA's in series, some are two 3 volt AA's in parallel. As long as you get the right one, you get a couple of primary 3 volt AA's, which really make this light great.

Couple problems: One is the expense. A CRV3 runs about $10 bucks. The other is the "getting the right one" problem. I don't remember which brand to buy and which not to. :ohgeez:

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seems like a tad bit too expencive solution for me.
But non the less, thanks for the tip.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Station had some of their house brand 3.6v AA's for a couple of bucks not long ago. I got a couple to run in cutdown MM's. They work fine. Don't know if they still carry them or not.

Bullseye00

Newly Enlightened
mchlwise - I know that Duracell makes CRV3's that are (2) 3volt batteries in parallel.(I also use half of a CRV3 in my L1DCE) I haven't tried any others.