SL20X/Vulcan/etc. replacements?

tvsjr

Newly Enlightened
Greetings all - I've been lurking awhile, but this is my first post. Noob alert.:laughing:

I'm slowly working to upgrade my various lighting accessories to all LED, and am looking for a few ideas.

I'm a volunteer firefighter... so I need lights that are dependable and can handle getting dropped/bumped/dinged/used as wheel chocks!

I currently carry a Surefire L2 on my belt - which is absolutely wonderful. I also plan to purchase an LED Survivor light to clip on my turnout gear.

Streamlight SL20X - I've been carrying one of these for quite a few years. As you all probably know, they don't run that long, and the battery stick has to be replaced once a year or so. I need something with equal or better light output, and, preferably, a good pattern. To eliminate the need for a vehicle-mounted charger, I'm looking for something that runs on disposable batteries... or, perhaps, standard AA/C/D NiMH cells. I'm considering a 3D Maglite... initially with the Maglite LED conversion kit. However, some reading here suggests that the TerraLUX MiniStar5 conversion kit is substantially better. Will the MiniStar5 in a 3D Maglite produce a beam (intensity and pattern) as good or better than the SL20X? I will also need to use a traffic wand at times, necessitating the light run for extended periods without overheating. Is this an issue with the Ministar5?

Streamlight Fire Vulcan - this is an excellent lantern for carry at fire scenes. It's halogen, of course... are there any LED upgrade kits available for it? I've not yet found any...

Any comments would be most appreciated.