Slimmest 18650 LED body

roverwanderer

Newly Enlightened
Can you point me to the slimmest 18650 LED body on the market, would prefer it to be Luxeon or Cree based.

To me it looks like 2400mAh 18650 would give quite much juice for nowadays leds, and having a slim-bodied model (not much longer and ticker than the battery itself) would make a perfect long-run EDC - well, for those guys with bigger hands :laughing: . I have an Orb Raw, which is a very nice light, but would definitelly like a little bigger and longger lasting one.

Any suggestions?

cy

Flashaholic
do you want a modded light or a stock light?

certainly among the smallest lights that will support 18650 is old style surefire 6P reamed out to accept 18650 combined with P60 LED drop-in.

Surefire U2 comes to mind as a light that supports 18650, but is certainly not small.

here's pic showing lights with 18650 cell

18650 lights.JPG

Last edited:

roverwanderer

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, this is what I am talking about - looking at the sizes of these - none of them seems a "slim" light compared to the battery size...

They all look like very sturdy flashlights, that maybe will be ok if run over by a truck, but in general I think this is overkill, or at least, to me it looks like it is possible to have a smaller variant.

I am still thinking of making a really small 18650 battery body, with thread to the head of P1D/Orb or something else... How do you think this might work?

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there will be size constraints. I mean, if you want any solidity to the light, the body will have to be a certain thickness. By definition, an 18650 compatible body will likely be slightly larger than the smallest 2x123 bodies. The Vital Gear and Surefire E series bodies are probably among the thinnest 2x123 bodies and I'm not 100% sure I've ever seen one modified to accept an 18650 cell.

The Huntlight FT-01 and Luma M1 both accept an 18650 and they are a bit larger than the Vital Gear or E series lights.

Looking at my Streamlight TL-2s on the shelf, they are a tiny bit shorter than the Vital Gear F2 and they don't feel bulky at all, but again, I'm not sure you could bore one out to accept an 18650 without possibly getting through the flat spots on the side of the body.

cy

Flashaholic
flat forgot about lion cub with 18650 tube.

this would be the smallest... sold mine a long..long time ago.

glockboy said:
Maybe a Lion Cub with the 18650 battery body.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
What about the HDS with the 18650 tube? Its only about an inch longer than the light with the CR123 tube when attached to the light....

Get Milky to Seoul it for you, you have one hell of a setup! I love mine!

Pic courtesy of Filament....

DSCF0169.jpg

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM, he'll have a job landing one of those puppies!

Would you part with yours? They'll have to prise mine from my cold dead hand (and my 2x123/17670 from my other cold dead hand).
smile.gif

CFU

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Casual Flashlight User said:
PSM, he'll have a job landing one of those puppies!

Would you part with yours? They'll have to prise mine from my cold dead hand (and my 2x123/17670 from my other cold dead hand).
smile.gif

CFU
Your right. I'll have my Milky Seoul modded U60 XRGT (Bright!!) with the 18650 tube in one hand, and my other 18650 tube attached to my U85 in the other.... :)

Is it against the law to own two of those tubes? :D

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
How about one of the new Leef C tail C head 1x18500 Battery bodies, with a SureFire z44 bezel, G&P (or other) Cree drop-in, and SureFire z59 tailcap? Like a Cree-powered, rechargeable 6P.

roverwanderer

Newly Enlightened
Waw! That's what I like about CPF - I open the forum on the next day, and see that you guys, from the other time zones, have put some great information here - thanks to all of you for the great responces - as you can imagine, some of the models I've never heard of, actually.
:thanks: :twothumbs :thanks:

As I read around this HDS is quite hard to get in the current time, but the other options are also worth considering.

Currently, I have one of these on the way http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=1254 but it is definitelly not what I am looking for - I just figured out that for this price, you can't really argue. If I don't like it after all, I could use the tube and the other parts for some future projects.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about the HDS with the 18650 tube?
is there a link and/or a price, I could not find something by "HDS" in here?

Or is this an "if You ask for price, You can not afford"-product ;)

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yellow...a second hand HDS will cost you around $150...a second hand 18650 tube will cost at least $100 (don't hold your breath though, folk don't sell 'em often). You could probably snag a 2x123 tube for $100 or so and run it with an unprotected 17670.

HDS/Novatac will be releasing a new model in May for around $160, but the old tubes will not be compatable, the only extension tube they are releasing will be a 2xAA.
frown.gif

CFU