Microfire K2000R battery charging time

SoSa

Newly Enlightened
The leaflet found in my K2000r's box of says that the fast charging time of the built in battery is 4 hours.

In my case the red charger's LED turns green in approximately two hours which is half of the mentioned time. I am not telling that it is impossible because the AC/DC brick provided with the converter can deliver 1,6 A at 16V and the battery's capacity is 2150 mA.

It can be that Microfire changed the specifications of the battery/charger; on the other hand it is possible that the capacity of my battery is significantly lower than specified by Microfire.

So far, i did not explicitly measured the runtime but it seems to me shorter than 50 minutes, so i wonder what are the experiences of other K2000R owners.

scaredofthedark

Enlightened
i don't keep track of how long the battery takes to charge but i did runtime test and both were over 45mins last time i did it

SoSa

Newly Enlightened
By the way: i just measured the power consumption of my light: it is 2,8A when stabilized after a half a minute or so.

It seems to be OK; total power consumption is 2,8A*11V=30,8W, ballast efficacy slightly below 80%, so the HID gets 24W.
(Nominal voltage is 12V, but it drops to 10-11V under load.)

Last edited:

02Scuba

Banned
I can't hold mine after 15 minutes the thing is so hot. But I get about four 12 minute runs (letting it cool down between runs) per charge. My timing has not been exact and if it were timed to the second and some one told me it was oly 45 minutes I would not be surprised. I do not know if the battery is protected with an auto shut-off when it dips down to a certain voltage so I have not sought to push the battery to get every last minute of lght out of it that I could.

Am I just a sissy with tender hands or are your lights getting hot after about 15 minutes or so ? Besides wearing gloves, any suggestions or fixes ?

SoSa

Newly Enlightened
02Scuba said:
I can't hold mine after 15 minutes the thing is so hot. But I get about four 12 minute runs (letting it cool down between runs) per charge. My timing has not been exact and if it were timed to the second and some one told me it was oly 45 minutes I would not be surprised. I do not know if the battery is protected with an auto shut-off when it dips down to a certain voltage so I have not sought to push the battery to get every last minute of lght out of it that I could.

Am I just a sissy with tender hands or are your lights getting hot after about 15 minutes or so ? Besides wearing gloves, any suggestions or fixes ?

I mainly use the light outdoors. The temperature outside is 8-9 grad celsius (46-48 in Fahrenheit) so the light is not especially warm; after extended use it is around body temperature.

The light has an auto shut-down function, if the the battery voltage is below a threshold, it shuts down automatically, so do not worry about deep discharge.

In the meantime i checked the charging current (charger is ver.: 1.1): it is 1A, so two hours charging time seems to be just right.