My wife saved a life today, thanks to her Fenix LOP!

geegee

Newly Enlightened
My wife is hospice nurse, and today was seeing one of her patients, a 91 year old woman. People at her nursing home said that throughout the morning, she had been gagging and had been having a hard time swallowing. My wife thought it was a phlegm problem (yeah, I know, but wait till you get to be 91!), so she looked inside with the Fenix LOP I gave her a few months ago. The problem quickly became apparent.

Lodged in the back of the old girl's throat was her partial denture. As some of you may know, these have hooks on them which keep them in place for the person wearing them, so extracting them from a throat by using your fingers could be very dangerous (and painful). She attempted to at first, but then asked an aid to call 911. Within minutes, four EMT's arrived.

It took all of them to get this done, with my wife holding the woman's hand to keep her calm. One of them told her that there was no way she could have got it done by herself, so calling them was the right course of action. Later, they were interested in seeing her flashlight, which blew them away when they saw the light it emitted. As she said when she called me, "Now, I'm a believer!"

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
beautiful story!

this could get expensive, just hope she doesn't turn into one of us and then starts asking you for the more pricey lights.... just one flashaholic per household please!

Metrotex

Newly Enlightened
Awesome story, I think we all need to spread the gospel especially to emergency personel about EDC a Fenix, I used mine at an accident scene a few months back and the EMT there was impressed as well, amazingly, he didn't have any kind of flashlight.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
She is a smart one - it is amazing how many people I've given a powerful keychain light to (CR2 SmartFire) who either forget they have it and then ask me for a flashlight, or just never use it, period. Tell her she's one of a kind! =)

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened
THE_dAY said:
beautiful story!

this could get expensive, just hope she doesn't turn into one of us and then starts asking you for the more pricey lights.... just one flashaholic per household please!

lol. good one

geegee

Newly Enlightened
THE_dAY said:
beautiful story!

gulp.....Yeah, that wouldn't be good. :sweat:

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job :). My wife is a nurse too and carries a L0P SE on her badge, and has a Brinkman headlamp in her bag.

Calina

Enlightened
IMHO if this were a truly bright light, it would have remove the denture all by itself
evilgrin07.gif

Great story!

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
geegee said:
People at her nursing home said that throughout the morning, she had been gagging and had been having a hard time swallowing.
Kudo's to your wife for covering for the other nitwits that should have checked out the woman earlier. Your wife should be proud. The others should be ashamed, at least.

walkabout

Newly Enlightened
A fine story. Thanks for sharing.

Hospice nursing is a tough gig. Those who can do it without losing their motivation and compassion are pearls of incalculable price. Tell your wife to keep fighting the good fight.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
One of the best flashlight stories so far. Nice work on your wife's part.