Imalent        
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Default Re: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Spider,
    it's a mxdl bodied light that a lot of guys use as a host for mods.

Here's the light
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1120
    Last edited by alphazeta; 04-01-2007 at 12:31 PM.

thanks! fiannly I can sleep!!!

Well, I failed at round two to get the pill out of the head of this light. I tried to twist it pretty hard but it did not budge. Anyone else have any luck?

hey everyone,

I'm kinda happy this thread is kinda alive again...

well.. it's 9:52am... monday morning... and still no package yet.... man.... damn u guys that got yours already...

I'm really hoping the head and parts can be taken apart.... would be such a shame if it can't....

any of you guys that have the G011 already also have a L1P-CE to compare the output? or maybe even better a lightmeter???

that info would be awesome...

KraZy

Ok, I received my second one today. Only took a week and a half to get to me from time I ordered.

This unit does not have the crooked barrel and it did come with a lanyard. Only thing is the emitter is off center.

I need to get the pill out!!!! Someone please be successful in removing the pill and tell us all how you did it!

BTW, the stock emitter is not half bad. White light and the light is more throw than flood when compared to the stock Elly.
    Last edited by davenlei; 04-02-2007 at 11:56 AM.

man... with all u guys getting your second light before me.... just gets me going!!!

god i want mine now!!!

KraZy

hey if someone needs detailed pictures of this light. please let me know. I got mine today too.. ( sorry Krazy! )

ps. I am happy with this light. Ppl say that the body is thin, maybe.. but it looks solid and feels solid for me. The body had no dents and it wasn't mishaped even fully screwed. The led in the middle is off center by a 1mm, maybe less, yeah,,, more like .5 mm. but it doeesn';t really matter.

since it has step-up circuit, what would happened if we plug that 3.6 v. battery in it ? I assume it would burn , huh ?
    Last edited by spider-cricket-hater; 04-02-2007 at 01:40 PM.

second though on the circuit board - it seems to be glued. I can see a little bit of the spill on the edge ( between the wall of the light and the board ). If they put glue in it, I don't see how this could be unglued without damaging the board.

the the picture of the circuit board: here

hey spider...

can u post up some shots of it... specifically the head and the components in it.... have u been able to take out the emitter and circuitry??? or have u tried?

KraZy

Quote Originally Posted by spider-cricket-hater
    second though on the circuit board - it seems to be glued. I can see a little bit of the spill on the edge ( between the wall of the light and the board ). If they put glue in it, I don't see how this could be unglued without damaging the board.

the the picture of the circuit board: here
    Eww, perhaps they thermo-epoxied it to the head for a better negative contact? I was hoping that that it was just threaded into the head (or at worst pushed in.)
    Somehow, it feels like they don't want us to mod this light. (supposedly to make us but the cree & seoul verisons of this light from them?) When mine comes in, I'll see if it's the same.

man.. that is not good news....

i guess at the very least... i get a decent light at rock bottom price....

just wanted to slap a cree in there tho....
    KraZy

just posted 3 more pictures. check the link above

is there a solution to unglue the epoxy? I know that epoxy is the strongest of them all, but I am sure there is SOMETHING ? ( besides a small hammer action )

For projects in some of my other hobbies, I have used epoxy. On metal surfaces bonded with epoxy, I had been able to freeze & then heat the pieces to break the bond.
    However, in this situation, I don't believe the components would survive the abuse. I just don't have enough experience with epoxy in this type of application. Perhaps a resident CPF modder would have the answer?

Thanks for the additional pics spider... It helps to see them here at work... It looks a decent fenix copy. For $5, it doesn't look like a bad buy at all.

Enlightened

Does this flashlight have smelly rubber switch cover like the Elly has?

yup. smells like someone put that rubber over smoke. but you have to put it to your nose to smell it.

Enlightened

Ah ok. Thanks for the quick reply.

hmm... i guess nothing a lil bit of liquid nitrogen.. and a blow torch won't fix...

KraZy

At one time i removed an epoxied threaded head from a desktop ham radio microphone. I used a hair dryer & kept moving it around the head till the epoxy got soft & i unscrewed the head. An alternative would be to partially dip the flashlight in a cup of very hot water to break the epoxy seal.

hmm.... i'm starting to think that i should ordered like 10 of them... cuz i know i'm gonna bust like 9 of them to get the emitter out....

KraZy

it depends what epoxy you are using. I don't think dipping in hot water would make a difference - unless it is a low quality epoxy. The epoxy I am using is on my soda can stove, is witholding alcohol vapor flames for 30 mins each time. .. so... hmm.. I gues we will let Krazy go with his nitrogen/blowtorch approach and let us know the resoults.

I mean - it is not hard to get the emitter out.. not in one piece of course

haha.. the liquid nitrogen and blow torch could very well be the last thing i do! hahah....

if the head is epoxy'd on... i don't think there's gonna be to much that we can do to take it apart.... short of destroying it....

has anyone tried attacking it from the front? ie... trying to take the plastic lens off? and maybe seeing if u can take the module out from the front?

Can someone let us know if that is possible?

Thanks,

KraZy

Received my light today. Overall I'm very pleased. Mine did include the lanyard. Near perfect machining. Very minor blemishes (nothing a flashlight wouldn't have after it's first day of use out of the box anyways). Lens and reflector are perfect, nice feel on the clicky switch, threads go deep. The LED is slightly off center, however my beam doesn't show it, unless I spin the light while it's on then I can very faintly detect that the beam isn't 100% symmetrical, but this doesn't matter, as I didn't buy this flashlight to spin around. Lanyards a bit difficult to put on, probably need a needle or something to shove it through the holes. This light is so small, I don't think I'd really need a lanyard.

As far as people complaining about the thin metal on this light. It's only thin on areas that get overlapped by a much thicker piece of metal. The thin areas could be cut off completely and this light would still function. I think any concerns about these areas are unwarranted.

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    has anyone tried attacking it from the front? ie... trying to take the plastic lens off? and maybe seeing if u can take the module out from the front?
    KraZy
    It looks like the lens is press fit in with everything else. It looks like you could try to push the the lens to push the reflector/driver board out, or you could pull on the board instead. Good luck

well.... everyone... looks like we here have a $5 light... as is... not the modder's dream i was hoping it would be....

Then again... for $5... i guess i shouldn't be complaining... tho ... i will complain that i haven't got mine....

If anyone manages to get the head out... please post some pics up... and tell us how u did it.... unless... u took a sledge hammer to it....

KraZy

Actually it would be interesting to see a pic of it if someone opened it up with a sledge hammer as well.

agreed.

KraZy

can someone point me to a board that would fit this baby ? Someone here said that it is smaller than the usual. Since I have never done it - I am not sure what is the small size what not. Could someone post a link to DX with a light that may work with this one ? thanks

Shouldn't we figure out how to get it out first? This looks like a better candidate for modding in a similar light - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=159875

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast