RMSK, Inc.        
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Default Re: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Quote Originally Posted by spider-cricket-hater
    can someone point me to a board that would fit this baby ? Someone here said that it is smaller than the usual. Since I have never done it - I am not sure what is the small size what not. Could someone post a link to DX with a light that may work with this one ? thanks
    Hey Spider,
    Do you mean an emitter in a form factor like this? http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1340

BTW - Amongst other items, this light was waiting for me at home. Of course, the one I received *had* to be a crooked one & without a lanyard. (Also, despite the size of the light I personal believe lanyards *are* important b/c they allow you to temporarily hang the light in a quick fix.)
    But, the light I received also wouldn't turn on??? So I had to clean all the connections with alcohol & that seemed to do the trick.
    Outside of all these strikes against it, I believe it's a relatively good value at ~$5. The beamshot is actually quite clean.

Excellent value light for $5. Cut corners such as cheap anodize, surface blemishes, off-center LED, cheap LED, thin metal, and slightly ripped tailcap. Not to mention no dual-mode (but that's only important for higher output lights)

But those are just little things. Sure it's not as pretty as the real thing, but hell, for $5, I'd take it over the overpriced, price-fixed, bad QC Jetbeams lately. Really, a MKII-X is 13 times more expensive than this light... If this light or similar light can be upgraded to Cree, then WOW. This light is cheap, small, and bright enough. It tailstands!

Bonus! Turn it into a twisty by unscrewing the tailcap a bit while it is still on.
    Bonus! You can use AAA batteries in this light with NO problem whatsoever!

Now if we can get that damn head apart!

I took a close look at mine and can see no epoxy or glue holding it in. I wonder if it is just really tightly press fit in?

Flashaholic

When I get home from work tonight guys,I will take mine apart,and post pictures,as mine comes right apart,np....

Russ

Step by step please. How much pressure to apply. Twisting or prying force, etc.

Thanks!

i received something completely different, is it because the black and gray versions differ ? I got the black one from DX, it wasn't in the best condition out of the box, the whole body is cylindrical, so theres no flat parts on the body, and also there is no click button on the bottom, so I have to twist the top to turn it on/off. Am I the only one who got this?

It sounds like you received this one:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2096

It has round sides instead of flats, and it looks like a twisty instead of a clicky.
    The only reason a great many American families donít own an elephant is that they have never been offered an elephant for a dollar down and easy monthly payments.

hey guys...

yeah.. i don't think u ordered the same one as us.... the one in the topic is the $4.79 one...

man.... looking at the beam shots.... this light isn't very bright?!?!

any luck on getting the head apart guys?

KraZy

Flashaholic

I just recieved mine today it is marked POWERLIGHT HX-g011,but it is a twisty(the $5.17 one)I am happy with it but it is definatly not the powerlight that has the flat sides.It lookes to be a good pocket light for only $4.79 shipped!

Just received my gray version of the Powerlight HX-GO11 (clickie version as advertised). Looks exactly as described on DX, except no lanyard.

My head is also clearly potted with some sort of glue/epoxy. I can see a few drops of white residue on the base of the threads. Tried brute force method with snap-ring pliers, this thing just won't move.

Still, output it pretty decent and white for this sort of lux clone (a lot of them are often angry blue). Good deal for the price for a give-away light. But the threads needed a cleaning badly - lots of loose debris on them, risked seizing up without some cleaning and some lube (arrived bone dry).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Summer Sale!
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

oh god... i want the one pictured on the site... not the all round barrel one.... but.. mine still has't arrived yet.... man, i don't think i'm gonna order from DX anymore..... my order was on mar 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KraZy

Ordering direct from China is not for the impatient. I ordered one around the 20th and I'm waiting on mine, hope I get the grey version I ordered since I also placed a different order for the other version.

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    oh god... i want the one pictured on the site... not the all round barrel one.... but.. mine still has't arrived yet.... man, i don't think i'm gonna order from DX anymore..... my order was on mar 16th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KraZy
    My order was on the 15th & I had just rec'vd it yesterday. Hang in there.

On a side note, I've been ordering a bunch from HK lately (dx, ebay, etc) & have been pleasantly surprised -> a lot of time the stuff has been arriving to nyc within 5 business days (DX included, well sometimes) It feels like takes longer for me to receive stuff from the west coast...

man... melissa said that she would expediate my order for shipping.. and that was on mar 26.... she said 4-7 days....

maybe i'm just unpatient...

KraZy

seriously tho...

ordered it on mar 14.... packed on mar 21... shipped on mar 23....

i'm sure it doesn't take 7 days to pack a small flashlight.... 2 days just to ship it???

and as of apr 2... still hasn't arrived....

then again... readin the forums at CPF.. seems like they are way undermanned for all the CPF orders!!!!

KraZy

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7915/dsc00136xt6.jpg
    http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9606/dsc00138pl9.jpg

here are pictures of the flashlight i received. I should've ordered gray

Quote Originally Posted by taKuto
    http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/7915/dsc00136xt6.jpg
    http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/9606/dsc00138pl9.jpg

here are pictures of the flashlight i received. I should've ordered gray
    Well at least the sides are thicker, in case you wanted to use it as a hammer.

omg... that's not the same as the photos on the site...

i better not get that one... or i'd be super pissed.... the pictures of yours seem like there's no tailcap clickie?!?!??!?!?!?!

that's the MAIN thing that i wanted.....

KraZy

same here... I would've been alright with the flashlight if only they gave me the button. Screwing the top to turn it on/off is so annoying

I tried taking off the LED board, but looks like it's been glued on, I feel I can get it off with a heat gun but I'm not too concerned about it since it works decently as it is.

I sorta have some experience with heating this thing up. I was cleaning the contacts, and a bunch of alcohol dribbled into the lens/reflector (Don't do this! When it evaporated, it left residue over the lens/reflector that I can't clean off now). I took a hairdryer and some pliers (with some cardboard over it to not scratch my flashlight). I'd alternate between blasting the contacts and blasting the lens and side (don't want to melt the lens!). I got it pretty darn hot, it was too hot to comfortably hold. Then I tried poking at the board, it didn't budge. By the way, using a hairdryer to dry out alcohol/water from inside the flashlight doesn't work too well. I had better success with a can of compressed air, shooting it into one of the holes in the board. I did short bursts for a few minutes and everything dried out.

Might want to try shoving it into a toaster oven at 200F? Not sure what temp the LED's hate.

Also, I wouldn't shove anything into the center holes, I'd try the outer holes. You can see the inductor through the center holes and you might smack or squish it. If I can get this thing apart, I'd love to blob some silicone or something onto that inductor. You can hear it boing like a spring if you shake your flashlight. Luckily it doesn't have a ferrite core, so it's not heavy, but it'd be nice to have nothing move if an impact were to occur. I'm not too sure what the dielectric constant would do to it. Silicone has a constant of 3-9.

anyone any luck with it yet ?

ok I am trying differen approach.
    Since I am almost sure it is some kind of epoxy - I am using Epoxy to get this bugger off. A few seconds ago I glued a metal part to the edges of the board with epoxy that stands 3000 pounds per square inch.. so either I can wiggle this thing out ( I am thinking to heat up the sides with the minature blowtorch from DX ), or the board will .. uhm.. die in pieces.

Either way I should have it out by tomorrow. ( the glue needs to sit overnight )
    will post pictures, step by step

NEW PICTURES OF MY EPOXYvsEPOXY adventure here
    Last edited by spider-cricket-hater; 04-03-2007 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alphazeta
    Hey Spider,
    Do you mean an emitter in a form factor like this? http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1340

hey alphazeta,
    Is that going to fit that light ? The board seems smaller than the original one ? What would be the best material put there to recompensate the difference in sizes of the board ? Epoxy, silicon, silverartcic ?

Also, how much lumens will it output with the regulated 3.6 batteries ? Will I have to change the reflectors as well ?
    Last edited by spider-cricket-hater; 04-03-2007 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-cricket-hater
    hey alphazeta,
    Is that going to fit that light ? The board seems smaller than the original one ? What would be the best material put there to recompensate the difference in sizes of the board ? Epoxy, silicon, silverartcic ?

Also, how much lumens will it output with the regulated 3.6 batteries ? Will I have to change the reflectors as well ?
    Actually that was the board I was going to order for this light b/c it was smaller. A regular cree star would work but, we would then need to file away the sides to make it fit.
    Remember, we still need to keep the step up circuitry if we intend to to still use a 1AA in it, so we are keeping the "pill" that is just below the current led.
    My original goal on this light was to just make a cheap compact 1aa cree to sport or give away. I intended to keep the stock reflector & would have ground away the bottom of the reflector to make it fit if necessary... However, given that I received one of the crooked lights, I'm not sure I'm willing to invest any time into it.

Of course, your persistance in this mod has kept my interest in this thread. So reading your comment on the 3.6v regulated batteries, are you planning on direct driving this thing? If that your intent, maybe you needn't worry so much about damaging the pill during extraction. There wouldn't be that much there that you would need intact.

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    seriously tho...
    ordered it on mar 14.... packed on mar 21... shipped on mar 23....
    i'm sure it doesn't take 7 days to pack a small flashlight.... 2 days just to ship it???
    Actually, that's not unusual. DX doesn't carry inventory, so they need to collect from their suppliers (hence the first week delay). Takes them a day or two to send out orders once received, and typically about 2 weeks to reach North America. You are actually well on track for typical times. It can often be longer, if they have some problem collecting from suppliers. I don't remember when I ordered mine, but I believe it was the same day it first came out.

Has anyone who received the round black version complained to DX? They are usually very good about making it right for people.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Summer Sale!
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

hey alphazeta, or anyone else: this is my first mod and I have never done anything with leds. I build computers on the side, so I have lots of equippment, and hopefully some skill (?) . I didn't really know that I had to keep the circuit board in order to use the suggested mini-board led light you posted above. But then - yes, I do want to put the 3.6 baterry in it. Maybe lets define what I want from this project and you guys tell me if this is the best I can do or not:

1) put the strongest bulb in this light possible = have the brightest thing in my hand. ( I know this sounds like a noob-maniac thing, but oh well . So.. do i have to worry about this circuit board, or should I just order some cree p9999 and stick those DX regulated 3.6 ? What do you think guys would be the BEST bad a. bulb to put in it and on what batteries. ( oh yeah, I don't want to drop on it more than 30 $ )

well the board just boosts the power. I guess if you're using 3.6 volts you don't need to boost the voltage any higher. The only other concern would be if you needed a resistor to drop the current or not.

I orded the grey one
    very pleased with it only a b#%# to mod; heat conducting glue is used on the threads
    I replaced the standard led with an Edison KLC8 (about 60% light of a modded ELLy)

Kanarie,

You were able to open it up?
    So, details... Twist out, pry out? How much pressure? Heat, etc. etc..?

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast