Foxfury Scout        
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Default Re: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Since half this thread relates to getting the damn LED out, I'm sure everyone would love to hear how you went about it Kanarie.

hey Selfbuilt...

really??? they don't carry stock?? what a bad way of doing business.... i guess everyone that has ordered from DX is used to it... as this is my first purchase from them.. and to me seems to be way outta line as all my previous orders from online companies... ie. ledshoppe... tend to get here in about 2 weeks... from the sounds of this.. it will take like a month before i see mine....

also.. it looks like they are shipping the black version in the round only... no more of the ones that look like the L1P... and NO CLICKIE... which is the reason i ordered this in the first place..... is there anyone that got there light.. and wanted the clickie??? can you guys find out if DX will be correcting this??? since i have a L0P-SE already.... i don't need another twistie...

i forgot who.. but the one that modded this light already.. please post some images.. and instructions to get the board and emitter out... i want to drop a cree (or SSC, which is better?) in there... and use normal AA batteries....

thanks everyone...

KraZy

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    really??? they don't carry stock?? what a bad way of doing business.... i guess everyone that has ordered from DX is used to it... as this is my first purchase from them.. and to me seems to be way outta line as all my previous orders from online companies... ie. ledshoppe... tend to get here in about 2 weeks... from the sounds of this.. it will take like a month before i see mine....
    Settle down beavis . I wouldn't say they don't carry stock. I ordered and mine was shipped the next day. Took a total of 7 business days for me to receive my item.

lol..beavis...

dude... it's been since mar 16th....

KraZy

Flashaholic

Dunno why it takes China so damn long to ship across the ocean,Hell everything we buy comes from there,I am surprised theres not a conveyor belt from here to there:/

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Russell52
    When I get home from work tonight guys,I will take mine apart,and post pictures,as mine comes right apart,np....

Russ
    Did you take the pictures yet?

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    really??? they don't carry stock?? what a bad way of doing business.... i guess everyone that has ordered from DX is used to it
    They don't carry stock. Sometimes, when they first list a light, they may have a enough samples on hand to ship out some immediately - but that's the exception, not the rule.

I know it seems odd compared to north american retailers, but their JIT (just-in-time) system is what allows them to keep their prices so low - no inventory overhead, no being stuck with items they can't move, etc. It also means that the quality of lights can vary from batch to batch order, so later purchasers may not be getting the same thing as early adopters. The VIPPA was a good example of this - first batch had 1.2V starting limit, second batch didn't have the limit, and third batch was a different light with inferior build quality (longer, thinner aluminium, cheaper anodizing, etc).

BTW. here's their official estimate on shipping, from their FAQ:
    Step 1 (1-3 days): Products are collected from our suppliers.
    Step 2 (<1 day): Order waits to get packaged.
    Step 3 (1 day): Order is packaged.
    Step 4 (10-13 days): Order is enroute via Hong Kong Post.

In my experience, the first step is often longer. As for this particular light, I checked and I too orderd on March 16, arrived yesterday.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Summer Sale!
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

my epoxy vs epoxy approched worked out!. I was able to remove the circuit board in one piece, and then I heated up the metal stick with the torch and unglued the board from the wrench with a knife.

But since it is my first mod, I wasn't expecting this what I have found. I think there is much more work to do if you want to mod it, than just removing the board.

see for yourself

SpiderCricketHater, that board you removed is the step up convertor. The remaining piece in there is the actual LED + heatsink. From your pictures, it looks like it is also epoxied That's looks like it's gonna be a b*tch b/c a good portion of it is threaded in.

The step up circuit & led/heatsink probably originally looked something like the pill shown in this thread.
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=158461
    It looks like the Step up board has been skewed off.

Yikes, yeah... looks like a lot more work...

Quote Originally Posted by Russell52
    Dunno why it takes China so damn long to ship across the ocean,Hell everything we buy comes from there,I am surprised theres not a conveyor belt from here to there:/
    , that's pretty funny...

Yeah, that was what I was afraid might happen with too much force - only the step-up board came off, shearing the lead wires and leaving the entire heatsink in place (judging from SpiderCricketHater's photos).

You could potentially get it out now by doing the same trick again on the heatsink, but it all depends how much epoxy is on the threads (doesn't seem to have budged at all so far).

Looks like the bulk of the brute force work remains to be done, I'm sorry to say.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Summer Sale!

nah it is all good - the more I mess with it, the more I learn. The light was cheap, so no problem to order another 2 or 3 if necessary.

yeah selfbuild, I already put the epoxy into work. It was not hard to remove the board as there was almost no glue on it. But this one.. hmm.. it may take a bit more epoxy than I used before.

Ugh. What a pain. Well, let us know how step 2 works out. If the pill does come out, maybe I will try it out also.

actually, not too much pain I kinda like playing with it. People send a robot to the Mars and remote control it. I think we can remove the pill out of it ?

hey spider.. good job on getting part of the pill out...

keep us informed about the rest of it... and as soon as i get mine... maybe i can start tinkering with it too....

KraZy

woudl it be possible to put the Luxeon Rebel in it ?

is the rebel even out for sale yet?

All the articles on it are just press releases... anyone know if there's a retailer that sells it?

KraZy

The boost circuit looks identical to the joule thief. 1 "transformer", 1 resistor and 1 transistor.

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/joule6.jpg

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by cage
    Did you take the pictures yet?
    Keep in mind,Mine is not the same as the ones you all have ordered ,But basically its a fl1p clone,or looks the same,I believe the body on mine is alot thicker,has a glass lens,and a aluminum reflector

I'm a little confused. So did you order the black HX-G011, did you order this - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2096 , or? Seems like there are a lot of variations on these cheap AA '1 Watt' lights.

Flashaholic

I bought this one as I posted on the first page I think,trying to get people to get the version I have,as I believe it to be a better quality.. But I ordered one from him,and it had a lux in it,the second one I ordered had a china led in it,which I threw in the trash and replaced with a lux,The cree wasn't focused enough for me to justify leaving it in there,but the circuit did drive it well..

Russ

Flashaholic

On another note,I destroyed the circuit and lens in my first light like this,And I think there is enough material on the body to bore out so that 2 123a's would fit in there... Mmmmm

Appears to be this light, without the Cree - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1370

Quote Originally Posted by mmmflashlights
    Appears to be this light, without the Cree - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1370
    The dealextreme one uses a plastic reflector. Russels has an aluminum reflector.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko
    The dealextreme one uses a plastic reflector. Russels has an aluminum reflector.
    n/m

To clarify, this is the light Russell52 says he has:
    http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/...&productId=162

It is not from DX, but rather from ledwholesalers.com. It costs $10, has HA-III and an aluminum reflector.

It simply surperficially resembles the Powerlight in this thread that the rest of us have. Which is not surprising, since they are both a knock-off of the Fenix L1P look. But they are clearly apples to oranges in build.

EDIT: just checked, and shipping to Canada is $11 on that light - LOL! Guess I'm sticking with DX ...
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 04-04-2007 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt
    EDIT: just checked, and shipping to Canada is $11 on that light - LOL! Guess I'm sticking with DX ...
    Yeah, looks nice, but for the shipped price, might as well buy something really good.

still no-go fellas. I forgot to use alcohol on the surfaces and the epoxy didn't stick well. I tried to remove it this morning, but didn't work. pooh.

I am going to clean it, put epoxy again and leave it until I come from Savannah. ( Sunday night.) maybe then ?

lol spider....

man.. this is turning out to be quite a chore... might not be worth modding for me... since i'm a clutz... and will probably break something...

tho... for $5... still not a bad light... now if stupid Canada Post will just get that light to me... i'll be in good shape....

KraZy

Flashaholic

I'm waiting on two of the grey ones I ordered on the 24th of March. Has anyone tried them on E2's? Even it this light is not easily moddable for $4.79 it's hard to go wrong for a cheap stashable light.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast