Klarus        
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Default Re: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Quote Originally Posted by roverjohn
    Has anyone tried them on E2's? Even it this light is not easily moddable for $4.79 it's hard to go wrong for a cheap stashable light.
    According to my home-made light meter, the Powerlight is ~20% brighter on E2 than alkaline or NiMH.

Note that the stock Elly on alkaline is typically about ~20-30% brighter than this Powerlight on alkaline. The Elly throws further as well. But the Powerlight has a decent run-time of ~2.5hrs on NiMH.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. New: Selfbuilt's Summer Sale!
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

@spider-cricket-hater: Pease can you make a better picture of the step-up board?

btw: what are "E2"?

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Der Wichtel
    @spider-cricket-hater: Pease can you make a better picture of the step-up board?

btw: what are "E2"?
    Energizer E2 litheums(sic?)

Flashaholic

Just looked at spiders board,it is totally differnt than mine..

hmm.... this is so wierd... is there different versions of the same light?? is everyone here talking about the same light???

this is the one that the original post is about:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2070

believe it or not... i STILL haven't got mine.... big surprise....

KraZy

krazy89, I ordered the grey version, maybe the grey version will be as advertised as we've already seen at least one person get a different looking light in the black version. I still haven't gotten mine either even though today I received parts of the same order and also another order placed 3 days later. So apparently they're delayed. If we get what is shown in the photos, clearly they're not good candidates for modding anyway considering all of the effort involved, though they look good for a $5 light.

will post post better pics of circuit when i get home sunday night

well... one of the main things i liked was the fact that this model was a clone of the Fenix... and the 1xAA is perfect.... clickie...

if a $5 light can't be modded (or at least too much effort..) i don't think i'm gonna lose too much sleep over it... i mean it is $5 after all!

then again... it's not like i really need another EDC... so i might just wanna rip it apart and see what can be done with this body....

I am really hoping that i will get my light early next week... cuz it's been a long time since i ordered it... kinda pissed about it actually....

KraZy

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    I am really hoping that i will get my light early next week... cuz it's been a long time since i ordered it... kinda pissed about it actually....
    KraZy

I've got a game. Everytime Krazy89 mentions his order, take a drink.

getting drunk already... burp...

Sorry Krazy...

hahah... i'd be drunk too...

i guess i can start a new project while i'm waiting...

i got a Noma 1watt 3xAAA light that i can mod with a star board.... i wonder if cree's or ssc's are better?

KraZy

Houston: We Have Lift Off!

The light has been sucesfully dissembled. The actual heatsink and the star wasn't hard pressed inside the alum. tube. It was SCREWED IN.

So once you remove your step-up circuit board, you can UNSCREW the heatsink. ( there is a little gunk ( either weak glue or cheap thermal comp ) on the threads ) I did it with glueing the metal wrech with epoxy and then twisting it. After unscrewing the wrench was heated up slowly with the butan torch and simply popped out.

well.. more pictures with terrific macro lenses by Canon A620 here ( some pictures are a little of focuse, but I was in rush to post it here )

Enjoy, and suggest what should be my next step ?
    EDIT: The lense and reflector and plastic.
    Last edited by spider-cricket-hater; 04-09-2007 at 12:50 PM.

Wow congratulations

Hmm I think I buy the MTE SSC P4 light instead of this one because the step up circuit is not very good or maybe I buy both because this light is not too expensive

hmm... next step would be to get your hands on either a Cree or SSC emitter... (the best one is probably the mini star board from kaidomain)

solder her in... screw it back up... and there should be a huge difference... considering the original led in there is probably a 1watt no namer...

KraZy

do I totally bypass the step-up circuit board if I want to drop those 3.7 watters in it or should I use some commercial regulators that are out there ?

ops... links...

here's the link for the ministar emitter that will most likely fit in there.. without any filing... ALTHOUGH... it's a Cree...

http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1340

KraZy

hey spider...

if u can fit one of the 3.7v li-ons in there.. then you shouldn't need any booster... but.. that would make it a direct drive.. and the light output will slowly dim...

it would be great if u can find a regulator circuit that you can put in there to regulate the voltage and keep the light output almost constant until it runs outta juice...

i'm really rusty with my electronics.. but i would assume that a capacitor and a resistor is all you need to regulate it???!?!??! anyone with some real circuit knowledge can correct me... or suggest a circuit diagram for a regulator that will fit in this light..

KraZy

yeah.. thats what I want to do, but if I drop the circuit board then the board will suck lower voltage to keep the brightness at this same level for longer right ?

How those JetBeam MK.II X Cree output 150 lumens and still last for a while ? Where can I get these LEDS to put out 150 luments ? ( krazy the one above is able to drive max 80 lumens right ? )

hey spider.

the lumens that are printed are only if u drive it at the recommended voltage... if you overdrive the led.. u can get more lumens outta it.... but ... shorten the lifespan of the led...

too bad that i don't know much about regulator and boost circuits.... i only have blotchy memories of grade 12 electronics.... but that was a long... LONG time ago...

KraZy

gottcha. Lets wait for someone here who knows how to get this light best set-up possible ( bulb, circuit - if needed, and the reflector )

ps. if no one reponse, I may go for the mini star you mention above

I think there is enough space for a ltc3490 boost regulator.

What's the diameter of that star and heatsink? Thanks

well.. based on the info on the DX site... 0.79" so that's 2cm... the walls i would say are 1mm to 1.5mm thick.. so that should make the board about 16mm...

KraZy

I lost my ruler somewhere, but with a basic one it looks like the star is 12mm in diameter and the heatsink about 15mm. Once I get hold of my ruler I will post the exact dimensions ( here I can be around +/-.5mm off )

I just ordered that mini cree ( CREE XR-E P4 ) - it is the same bulb as in the JetBeam MK.II... does anyone know what circuit the JetBeam MKII uses ? I would love to shave it into this gray light. AND how to get that 150 Lumens ?????? The p4 are rated to only output max of 80-90 ?

I don't know what guts the Jetbeam MkIIX(That's the one with a Cree, The MkII has a Luxeon LED) but why would you want to put it in a lower quality body, and you usually have to buy the pill installed in the flashlight, and the pill is a pain to get out (according to the people who have modded a Jetbeam), and it might not fit since the manufactures probabily use different treads. Seoul P4s and Cree P4s are rated between 80-90 lumen(110 for Seoul) at 350 milliamps at about 3.4volts(?). you can get over 200 lumen by driving them at 1000 milliamp(1amp) at about 3.7 volts(?). The 150 lumen rating for the Jetbeam is acheved by using 14500 3.7volt lithum rechargebles.

Quote Originally Posted by spider-cricket-hater
    I just ordered that mini cree ( CREE XR-E P4 ) - it is the same bulb as in the JetBeam MK.II... does anyone know what circuit the JetBeam MKII uses ? I would love to shave it into this gray light. AND how to get that 150 Lumens ?????? The p4 are rated to only output max of 80-90 ?

hey Gunner12. First of all - the quality isn't bad. If you never had this light in your hand, you won't believe - but the quality is pretty good. I like the shape of this light, and for the pure sake of modding I want to see if this is doable. I will not remove the pill from JetBeam. I just purchased the bulb from here: http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1340 > I will just replace the bulbs and think if I want some kind of step-up circuit. ( if you know of any, that would drive this LED to 150 lumens, I would appriciate it ). The dimeter of the board cannot be bigger than 12 mm.

150 lumens from a AA would be pretty hard. What would be worth a shot is to take a lower ohm rated resistor, and put it in parallel with the existing resistor on this one. Don't have to solder it in, just touch it to the two points, and see if you can get it any brighter. Alternatively, it might be possible to beef the 'transformer' up by adding more windings. The wikipedia article for boost circuit is pretty intense if you want to read it. If you looked at the power output on an oscilliscope, I'd imagine that the battery is actually being pulled for twice as many amps as what you're seeing at the light, it's just pulsed, so the RMS amperage is going to be lower by like half. Not sure how many amps you can pull out of a AA. Here's the WP article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

Kinda funny that these things use an oscillator circuit. My shortwave radio picks up the harmonics of the buzz. Kinda neat. It slowly declines in frequency, if you turn the flashlight off, and then back on, it'll start off at a higher frequency again.

Actually you can also hear the harmonics on AM frequencies. Prolly can only notice it if you're using a portable radio and put the flashlight next to the radio where the ferrite rod is inside the radio. Try tuning to different unused frequencies and turn your light on/off until you can find it.

hey guys... u want to see something funny....

make sure everything is in the light... ie. the battery... works best with a light with a push button switch... make sure it's off... then if u have a gsm mobile phone... put the phone right beside the head of the light and call the mobile phone... the star should flash on when the call comes thru... kinda koo....

just my 2 cents... might be confusing....

KraZy

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast