ArmyTek        
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Default Re: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    hey guys... u want to see something funny....

make sure everything is in the light... ie. the battery... works best with a light with a push button switch... make sure it's off... then if u have a gsm mobile phone... put the phone right beside the head of the light and call the mobile phone... the star should flash on when the call comes thru... kinda koo....

just my 2 cents... might be confusing....

KraZy

Doesn't do it on mine, but the inductor is probably picking up the watt or so the antenna is putting out. Tesla used to do this with lightbulbs.

well... to be honest.. it's not doing it on the light that's in the topic.... since i still haven't got mine (*drink*)... but the trick does work on a Noma 1 watt 3xAAA that i have.... it's mildly kool... at best...

KraZy

Flashaholic

I just got an email from DX saying my order for two of these in grey have just shipped. Ordered on 3-24, shipped on 4-10.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko
    150 lumens from a AA would be pretty hard. What would be worth a shot is to take a lower ohm rated resistor, and put it in parallel with the existing resistor on this one. Don't have to solder it in, just touch it to the two points, and see if you can get it any brighter. Alternatively, it might be possible to beef the 'transformer' up by adding more windings. The wikipedia article for boost circuit is pretty intense if you want to read it. If you looked at the power output on an oscilliscope, I'd imagine that the battery is actually being pulled for twice as many amps as what you're seeing at the light, it's just pulsed, so the RMS amperage is going to be lower by like half. Not sure how many amps you can pull out of a AA. Here's the WP article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boost_converter

Kinda funny that these things use an oscillator circuit. My shortwave radio picks up the harmonics of the buzz. Kinda neat. It slowly declines in frequency, if you turn the flashlight off, and then back on, it'll start off at a higher frequency again.
    hey, I want to put the 3.7 AA in it. Not just regular AA. With the 3.7 batteries - would it still be hard to get 150 lum out of it ?

Hey spider... i think even with 3.7v lion battery... i still don't think it's gonna hit 150 lumens.... i would say around 90 lumens... like other similar lights...

if anyone out there knows that's the relation between wattage and lumens.. please let me know... is there any calculation that can be done to calculate wattage to lumens????

KraZy

the simplest method of regulation is by using a zener diode and a resistor, but you're restricted in choices of zener diodes, since there isnt a diode value for all voltages. Last I remember I've seen 3.3,3.6, and 3.9 volts within that range at 1 watt tolerance for powering single LED's.

No calculations exist as a specific conversion for watts to lumens, this is different for every LED, which is why you'd need to look at a spec sheet for the specific LED to get that kind of information

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by roverjohn
    I just got an email from DX saying my order for two of these in grey have just shipped. Ordered on 3-24, shipped on 4-10.
    same here, shipped on the 10th. They must have just gotten in a bunch. seems they're getting better at estimating demand, or else I got lucky because I ordered on Apr 4.

Interesting that the elly and other lights had the ZY-01 which I assume was ZhaoYang while this light has an identical led marked ZS16R(?) from ZhongSheng. A clone of a clone?

beamshots compared to elly original?

spider-cricket-hater,
    The Cree would not provide the same beam as the original Jetbeam, more of the light will go into the spill and less throw, the Seoul LED is more similar to the Luxeon's emitting angle but usually requires a .03 inch metal disc of correct height. The Seoul could be had for a relatively cheap price here, but I've heard that they have shipped Cree emitters by mistake, It should be cleared up by now. And the Emitter has a gummy dome that you need to be careful about.

The 150 Lumen rating is probabily bulb Lumen. I'd say it is putting out between 100-130 lumen, which is still pretty impressive.

Good luck with your Mod

hey guys... honestly... for a 1xAA light.... i think 90 lumens is pretty good already....

if it's over 100... that's even better...

hey spider.. did u manage to get the emitter off the board?? i don't remember... if u did.. can u post up a picture of what the emitter and the board(after the emitter is off) looks like... thx..

KraZy

Quote Originally Posted by emitter
    same here, shipped on the 10th. They must have just gotten in a bunch. seems they're getting better at estimating demand, or else I got lucky because I ordered on Apr 4.

Interesting that the elly and other lights had the ZY-01 which I assume was ZhaoYang while this light has an identical led marked ZS16R(?) from ZhongSheng. A clone of a clone?

beamshots compared to elly original?
    The yellow blob LED things vary a little I have a few and most have distinct 6 leds or whatever dots that light up but on one of them it has 7.

Mutant blob! Like a cat with 7 toes on one paw.

hey guys... honestly... for a 1xAA light.... i think 90 lumens is pretty good already....

if it's over 100... that's even better...

hey spider.. did u manage to get the emitter off the board?? i don't remember... if u did.. can u post up a picture of what the emitter and the board(after the emitter is off) looks like... thx..

KraZy

krazy. see a few posts up. I opened sucesfully the whole thing and ordered P4 mini board so I can replace it. should be sweet after that.

linkified

Would you happen to know what the current circuit puts out in terms of voltage and current to the LED?

hey spider...

koo...u've added photos since i last saw...

yeah... looks like the mini star board should fit in there nicely...

can't wait to get mine...

KraZy

Hey spider... i think even with 3.7v lion battery... i still don't think it's gonna hit 150 lumens.... i would say around 90 lumens... like other similar lights...

if anyone out there knows that's the relation between wattage and lumens.. please let me know... is there any calculation that can be done to calculate wattage to lumens????

KraZy

Look at the spec sheet of the LED. It should have the volts/amps at which it gives out x lumens. It varies with all of them.

I just received mine today in black and it doesn't seem to tailstand too well. The switch seems to protrude a little to where it'll stand barely but not stably. Is there a known fix for this?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny13oi
    Would you happen to know what the current circuit puts out in terms of voltage and current to the LED?
    no idea, as my lab is not that sophisticated. sorry man.

Spider Cricket,So does it look like the board has to be pulled off to be able to twist the pill out or can it be twisted out in one shot?
    I ried twisting it out pretty hard (one piece) and it would not budge at all.

Quote Originally Posted by davenlei
    Spider Cricket,So does it look like the board has to be pulled off to be able to twist the pill out or can it be twisted out in one shot?
    I ried twisting it out pretty hard (one piece) and it would not budge at all.
    davelei - you are right, you have to pull the board off first.. I don't imagine how could you twist it with the board in it. As I mention above the threads have some kind of weak glue on it.. so you have to use a little force to start it.. then.. easy like butter.

good luck!

WOOOOHOOOOO....

FINALLY GOT MY LIGHT!!!!!!!!! too bad i'm at work... can't do anything with it yet...

KraZy

i have received mine a couple a days ago. They are actually very well build. I just "lost" the two i orderd to 2 off mine co-workers and 4 others want one too.... That's 5 out of 6 people that where sitting at that table.

Does this mean I have to stop drinking now that Krazy has received his light?

Buttrock Re: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

hahah.... since i got my light... i'm gonna be drinking even more.... u guys can stop drinking if u want....

My first impressions on the light is very good... the light is very light without the battery... almost seems like the light is made of plastic.... that said.. the body does feel solid... anything short of dropping it on concrete will dent the body...

on mine.. the push button is about 0.5mm past the end of the light.. so it's able to tailstand pretty damn good.... kinda happy about that... no lanyard.... emitter is pretty much centered... maybe off by a hair (no complaint there)

The beam pattern is pretty good.... center hotspot... with gradual spill... can't notice any dark rings.. (always good)... threading on the 3 sections are good... nothing is crooked as one guy said... everything fits together nicely...

All in all.... i'm very pleased with this light.... AS IS... i think i will order another 2 of these suckers... just so i can put a Cree and a SSC in each.. and keep one stock...

I will post impressions of the light after i get home.. can't really do much with it at work...

Cheers...

KraZy

So.. What the heck is the output on this thing? Can anyone make any comparisons of this light to another light as far as brightness?

well.... it says 3watt on the thing....

i don't have any sort of light meter.... so there's no way i can get you exact numbers.... i do have a L0P-SE at home.... when i get there... i can compare the 2.... not much better i can do than that...

KraZy

well.... it says 3watt on the thing....

i don't have any sort of light meter.... so there's no way i can get you exact numbers.... i do have a L0P-SE at home.... when i get there... i can compare the 2.... not much better i can do than that...

KraZy

Any comparison would be great . All i know is it's weaker than my 6D maglite, and stronger than my Photon Freedom Max (I'd say twice as bright, as they have identical 'throw').

The new ones supposedly say 1 watt instead of 3 watts. Least you can impress your friends with the labeling.

I've dropped mine on the concrete twice, do'h!. It ends up landing on the ends instead of the sides, and bends up a small burr which i took off with a very light sanding. Not really any dents, and can't really see any battle damage. Although now mine occassionally refuses to turn on until I bang it on something. I think the coil shifted or something. I really want to glue that thing down. That would greatly increase the impact durability of the whole thing. Although it is attached to 4 wires, so I'd think it'd be pretty hard to actually snap a wire, but you never know.

The yellow blob LED things vary a little I have a few and most have distinct 6 leds or whatever dots that light up but on one of them it has 7.
    i used a well drained battery and looked at the LED and can see what you mean. That's awesome. Are most high powered LED's actually multiple LED's in one package?

Anyone know how to fix the flashlight not tailstanding correctly? And yeah I have a red, green, and blue filter from another flashlight and just put it on to see the actual multiple LED's.

Actually I fixed it in a way. I unscrewed the tail cap a bit so that the rubber covering for the switch has some room to go inwards into the cap but then that creates gap in between the switch, body, and head.
    Last edited by johnny13oi; 04-12-2007 at 12:27 AM.

Anyone know how to fix the flashlight not tailstanding correctly? And yeah I have a red, green, and blue filter from another flashlight and just put it on to see the actual multiple LED's.

Actually I fixed it in a way. I unscrewed the tail cap a bit so that the rubber covering for the switch has some room to go inwards into the cap but then that creates gap in between the switch, body, and head.

The tailcap switch is threaded in. CAREFULLY remove the rubber boot (I used a paperclip and punctured a hole in it. I recommend something flat and smooth. maybe the handle of a spoon? (I tried it a second time, and didn't damage the boot with pliars when I grabbed it). Then you can grab the actual switch (plastic) and rotate the assembly with a pair of pliars. This will let the switch sit a bit deeper, careful tho, there's a washer that'll start flopping around if you loosen it too much. It'll probably be jiggly, so i'd recommend finding the depth you like, and then applying something to the threads to keep it there. Although i don't care if mine tailstands, I just did this real quick and the entire assembly is deep enough that it tail stands perfectly now, and it seems to be doing fine without any gunk on the threads to hold it there. With a pair of pliars it'll take you about a minute to do. Use a smooth tool to shove it back in when you're done. I used a qtip with the cotton removed to shove it back in.
    Last edited by sparkysko; 04-12-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko
    So.. What the heck is the output on this thing? Can anyone make any comparisons of this light to another light as far as brightness?
    My gray HX-GO11 light is at the low end of brightness for the various lux clone lights I've bought from Dx/Kai. According to my home-made lightbox (i.e. milk carton integrating sphere), overall output is roughly similar to the Fenix L0D-CE or Jetbeam C-LE on primary mode. Roughly 20 lumens, according to chevrofreak's testing of the L0DCE.

My two Elly lights were about 20% and 30% brighter, respectively, than this light. I also have one of the round, black, twisty models of this light (the $5.17 one at DX), it is also about 30% brighter.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Latest hobby: whiskyanalysis.com. Latest flashlight review: Thrunite TN42.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast