Klarus        
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Flashaholic

Default Re: Powerlight HX-G011 1W 1xAA LED Flashlight Black

Isnt it time to beef this circuit up??? What can we do??,I noticed that someone had mentioned adding more windings to the transformer,well I did this in a ultrafire light of mine,and did not notice any more brightness,But noticed more amp draw,and a LOT of heat,That light get 145f now...

Something has to be done to get this little light brighter,And it wont accept a 3.6 volt cell...

hey everyone...

i didn't really get a chance to really test out the light last nite.... was watching the Canucks game till the wee hours.... and when i did manage to stumble home... i did turn on both the L0P-SE and the G011.... the color on both are definitely different... the L0P-SE seemed to be a lot bluer than the G011... but.. it looks like the G011 is brighter by a hair....(but that could also be because of the color)

I'm at work now... hopefully when i get home tonite... i will have more time to play around with it....

Oh and mine tailstands pretty damn good....my rubber cover is only sticking out by the tinniest bit.... and it stands pretty solid.... so no need for me to adjust it....

but.. i'm really loving this light.... for $5.... this is probably the best deal on a decent light.... only thing... i need a lanyard for it....

KraZy

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    hey everyone...

i didn't really get a chance to really test out the light last nite.... was watching the Canucks game till the wee hours.... and when i did manage to stumble home... i did turn on both the L0P-SE and the G011.... the color on both are definitely different... the L0P-SE seemed to be a lot bluer than the G011... but.. it looks like the G011 is brighter by a hair....(but that could also be because of the color)

I'm at work now... hopefully when i get home tonite... i will have more time to play around with it....

Oh and mine tailstands pretty damn good....my rubber cover is only sticking out by the tinniest bit.... and it stands pretty solid.... so no need for me to adjust it....

but.. i'm really loving this light.... for $5.... this is probably the best deal on a decent light.... only thing... i need a lanyard for it....

KraZy
    I am glad to hear you got your light If you need a lanyard,I might have one you could have,every light I get that comes with one,that is the first thing I remove.. So what size are you looking for?? Somthing that would go around your wrist??

hey Russell.... that would be awesome... yeah... just something short... that can fit on the wrist...

yeah... i was estatic when i got the package at work...

KraZy

Flashaholic

Would this work?? If so PM me your addy,and I will mail it out tomorrow..

oh yeah... for those of u that like to know... the rubber tailcap does smell kinda rubbery... and it doesn't have to be 2 inches from your nose to smell it....

clickie is kinda loud too...

1 quick question... how can u tell by looking at the finish to know that it's type II and not type III?

KraZy

Don't think you can really tell by looking at it what type of finish it is. Although type 3 should be grey/black, as it can't be dyed as easily. I always thought maglites were type 3, but I can't confirm these.

As far as modding the light, the first thing I'd attack is the resistor in it.

For those complaining about having to wait for their light, I ordered mine on 3-21 and it just shipped today (4-12), so it could have been worse. It will probably be about 10 more days before it arrives, so that'll put my order right at 1 month from the time it was placed... Same story with my Cree Elly/Elite light, 1 month to receive. About 2 weeks I expect, but once it stretches to 4 weeks+, that's starting to get ridiculous for items that weren't supposed to have any delay.

hey guys... yeah... the order did take forever.... but well worth the wait... plus i'm kinda impatient....

the size and form factor of this light is pretty awesome... light and small.... it's a little bit too big for EDC... for me anyways...

i'm gonna get a couple more of these.... for $5... can't be beat....

KraZy

Hey spider...

when you took out apart the head... you have to rip the star board with the emitter off first? and then unscrew the heatsink?

is the booster circuit part of the star board that the emitter was attached on? I wonder if just getting a SSC emitter and unsoldering the old no name emitter would work??

did you have any luck finding a way to boost the output?

KraZy

KaiDomain has a new Cree mini-board which might be a good match for this light. http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1527

hey mmm...

originally.. i was looking at this one...
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1340

the one that you linked to is brand spanking new.... so i'm guessing it's better (???)

But both of them are at 3.2v - 3.7v operating voltage.. which means there no boost circuit on there... unless u will be running lions in them....

KraZy

Quote Originally Posted by krazy89
    hey mmm...

originally.. i was looking at this one...
    http://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/Produ...px?TranID=1340

the one that you linked to is brand spanking new.... so i'm guessing it's better (???)

But both of them are at 3.2v - 3.7v operating voltage.. which means there no boost circuit on there... unless u will be running lions in them....

KraZy
    Yeah, they've had that one awhile, I just saw this new one and it might be a better choice, assuming it fits (no dimensions listed yet). None of these boards that Kai and DX sell have any circuitry, they're just the Cree mounted to different aluminum boards. This newer round one may be easier to work with, it's a little larger, has holes for the wires and mounting screws, and the larger surface area may help to cool the Cree slightly better.

P.S. - just looking at the photos for the older board, it appears that this new board is probably the exact swap for what's currently in these lights, so I'm even more convinced that it would be a better match. This new board is probably what's being used in many of the small 1AA Cree lights that are of a similar size to the HX-G011.
    Last edited by mmmflashlights; 04-13-2007 at 05:23 PM.

yeah.. judging from the pics.... this one should be the one that most 1xAA and maybe even 1xAAA lights are using...

this one does seem to be better build quality as the older one.... and maybe different bin??? (didn't check)

but... either way u look at it... it will be a great upgrade for the stock emitter...

KraZy

Does anyone think that a LUX I would go into this flashlight well or would the internal circuitry fry the LUX I ?

krazy,
    the layout is like that:

circuit board
    |
    heatsink
    |
    star board.

The curcuit b. is not a part of the star. They are only connected with the wires.

I already ordered that flashlight again, ( on the 10th and it was shipped yesterday, so I cannot complain ) - plus I got the Cree for 7 bucks for my other flashlight ( RiverRock 2xAA ).. should be fun month!!
    Last edited by spider-cricket-hater; 04-13-2007 at 07:43 PM.

hey spider... i'm gonna order another 2 of the G011's.... i think they are great lights for around the house....

and i'm looking for a mini SSC u-bin to drop in there... i don't think the cree's are as good as the SSC's... but haven't found one yet.... don't think KD or DX has any...

KraZy

Last edited by abvidledUK; 04-14-2007 at 12:54 AM.
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

The guys right, you'll blow the transistor if you power it with 2 or more batteries Just blew mine. Now I only get a quick 'flash' of light when I turn it off from the inductor discharging since the transistor switching isn't occuring. w00t!

I know it has been talked about many times but has anyone figured out how to increase the current output or voltage to the LED so that a Cree or SSC can be put in there with a great amount of light coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny13oi
    I know it has been talked about many times but has anyone figured out how to increase the current output or voltage to the LED so that a Cree or SSC can be put in there with a great amount of light coming out?

I don't think anyones tried yet. Except for that foreign language website, only one person here has taken it apart. I'm having a go at removing mine with JB weld, firstly to replace my transistor. DONT TRY TO OVERPOWER YOURS WITH A HIGHER VOLTAGE! Lol. Mine fried VERY QUICK with a NIMH and a weak alkaline, so aroudn 2.4 volts. like, within 2 seconds. I just tapped the wire on it a few times to see if it lit up, and that was enough, each time was only for a fraction of a second. If I can revive mine, i'll try some mods.

EDIT: Ewww, it uses surface mount transistor :| This should be fun.
    Last edited by sparkysko; 04-14-2007 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkysko
    I don't think anyones tried yet. Except for that foreign language website, only one person here has taken it apart. I'm having a go at removing mine with JB weld, firstly to replace my transistor. DONT TRY TO OVERPOWER YOURS WITH A HIGHER VOLTAGE! Lol. Mine fried VERY QUICK with a NIMH and a weak alkaline, so aroudn 2.4 volts. like, within 2 seconds. I just tapped the wire on it a few times to see if it lit up, and that was enough, each time was only for a fraction of a second. If I can revive mine, i'll try some mods.
    Thats awesome ... let us know more when you find out any way to mod it for a higher output. I know you can direct drive with li-ions but I dont have any at all on hand but have an a great amount of rechargeable AA's don't really care too much about battery life as long as it's bright. Even if someone were to figure out how to drive the LED at about 3W you would get 50 minutes from a 2100mah battery if the circuit was perfect (obviously cant be done) but given even if the circuitry is not 100% efficient, an 80% efficiency would yield 40 minutes and 60% would yield 30 minutes. I am completely fine with half an hour of extreme brightness from a single AA.

GX-0111, anyone tried AA lithium yet (1.7v)
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

hey sparkysko,

word of advice when using JB weld.. once you take the circuit board out make sure you clean the heatsink with alcohol ( where you will glue your metal part ) and scratch it a little bit with a knife or screwdriver. The glue will hold much better to a rough surface than to a perfectly flat one.

I forgot to do it and the metal stick got unglued really fast.
    good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by spider-cricket-hater
    hey sparkysko,

word of advice when using JB weld.. once you take the circuit board out make sure you clean the heatsink with alcohol ( where you will glue your metal part ) and scratch it a little bit with a knife or screwdriver. The glue will hold much better to a rough surface than to a perfectly flat one.

I forgot to do it and the metal stick got unglued really fast.
    good luck!

In hindsight, it's probably not a good idea to use JB weld since it's a higher temp epoxy, and you have to REALLY heat it up to remove it (like 600F or something, then it turns brittle and burns). I only used epoxy to remove my circuit board. For the heatsink, I screwed two screws into the holes, just enough so they'd catch, and then grabbed them both with pliars and twisted. I couldn't unscrew it with just shoving one thing into the hole. The screws worked pretty well (I used 2" long ones).

Observations: Holy crap that transistor is small. This should be fun. The inductor wires are all twisted together, so i think it'd be a bit harder to knock the inductor off by dropping this thing. I'm confident that it probably won't go anywhere.

The amount of force to pull the circuit board wasn't much at all. you could probably make some small hooks, and shove those into the outer holes, and just pull it out that way. The dollar store does sell epoxy however, so that's worth a shot. I'm not sure if super glue would work. I tried on a blank circuit board and couldn't get pens, etc, to stick to it. if you could find something sufficiently flat, i bet it'd work. Also, because the required pull isn't that hard, you might as well use the 5 minute epoxy if you can find it. Home depot has it.
    Last edited by sparkysko; 04-14-2007 at 04:01 PM.

actaully, I left JB glued to it for over 3 days and then slightly heated it up. Slightly! It came out right out, but I see that the screw approach is much easier.! good job.

are you going to showe 3.6 batteries in it or mod the board ?

Quote Originally Posted by spider-cricket-hater
    actaully, I left JB glued to it for over 3 days and then slightly heated it up. Slightly! It came out right out, but I see that the screw approach is much easier.! good job.

are you going to showe 3.6 batteries in it or mod the board ?

Don't have any 3.6 cells, and can't yet justify the 20$ to get one yet. Not a bad idea once I get a job. Need to ghetto rig a transistor in and then I'll see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt
    My two Elly lights were about 20% and 30% brighter, respectively, than this light. I also have one of the round, black, twisty models of this light (the $5.17 one at DX), it is also about 30% brighter.
    waoh.. the $5.17 twistie is 30% brighter than the $4.79 clickie?!

how/why? thought it was the same, except one is a twistie, and other a clickie?

whew, finally replaced my transistor and got the thing working again. had to cutoff 80% of the legs on the transistor just to get it to fit under the heatsink without the solder joints snapping off, and ended up melting a few. I don't recommend blowing your transistor. Varying the resistance does indeed adjust the brightness. Who knows what the LED can take, but if you're feeling daring, I suppose you can just remove the resistor and solder a nice fat blob in its place. I think it read somewhere around 600 ohms on my meter, it says 102 on the resistor itself. I did have the light on at the time however, so >shrugs<. I have no idea how the heck they screwed this whole thing in initially, i think the circuit board was glued onto the heatsink, and then the circuit board was used to screw in the whole thing. I ended up replacing the wires with longer ones, because the original ones inevitably rip off when you remove the thing. Ended up using a paperclip/microscrewdriver shoved into a hole in the heatsink, and then rotated the flashlight body to get the whole thing screwed back in, had the circuit board tilted sideways during the process. I must have used the wrong type of transistor, or fudged something up, because now my light is noticeably brighter.

are you able to measure the voltage and current going to the led and the current being drawn from the battery?

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast