First impressions..DX: L1P type with Seoul !! MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DX: L1P type with Seoul !!

I think there is a thread on this one a while back.
1.25W Cree 1AA Flashlight
$13.39
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1370

Both are roughly 65 lumens.

If you want more spill get the Cree.
If you want more throw get the Soeul.
If you want cheap get the LORSUND
MXDL-Style Cree P4-WD Flashlight
$9.99
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2098

Interesting choices.

Now if they stick a Soeul into this guy
1W 1xAA Flashlight Black
$5.17
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2098
We get a cheap brite L1P clone with throw.
Those expensive milled flats on the L1P and clones do nothing to stop the light from rolling anyway

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

LEDninja said:
I think there is a thread on this one a while back.
$13.39
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1370

Both are roughly 65 lumens.

I beg to differ, as this one only just announced.

Totally different torches.

1.25W Cree 1AA Flashlight approx 30 lumens only.

Other is a modded Elly, quite a bit larger than L1P.

Comparison between Elly's...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/153283

I didn't find much difference between the focussed beams of Cree or SSC, SSC didn't have dark ring, in fact, gave impression of being slightly floodier, with smoother beam.

Anyway, I look forwards to receiving my new 65's

I like the single high output, one click switch method of UI.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think there was a thread on the Cree 1.25W
abvidledUK said:
I beg to differ, as this one only just announced.
That is why I said we got choices (between 1AA)
abvidledUK said:
Totally different torches.
Somethings gotta gine when one goes cheap cheap cheap. Need BIG pockets.
abvidledUK said:
Other is a modded Elly, quite a bit larger than L1P.
+1. Fenix just won't listen to the people who like KISS. And they are starting to get priced beyond my comfort level.
abvidledUK said:
I like the single high output, one click switch method of UI.
abvidledUK said:
1.25W Cree 1AA Flashlight approx 30 lumens only.
Where did you find that? I got my lumens number from the discussion sectin at the bottom of the page topic lumens.
Kyle @DX said:
It outputs about 65 to 70 lumens on a fresh alkaline battery.
Please don't get Lux mixed up with Lumens. Lux measures the brightness of the hotspot only. Lumens measures total output - hotspot +spilllight. My limited experience with cree (L0D-CE vs L0P-SE) shows the hotspot brightness to be about equal. Where the L0D-CE shines is the spill light is 2X as bright as the L0P-SE. With the L0P-SE the spill light is bright enough to prevent me running into walls or tripping over the furniture. But if I want to see something clearly I have to point the hotspot at it. With the L0D-CE there is enough spill light to see clearly and I don't have to swing the torch around.
If one needs to light up things at a distance the brighter hotspot makes a difference. sqrt2700/sqrt1500=1.57 so the SSC light should cover 57% more distance. Assuming the ratings are correct. I like the +-500 lux on 1500 lux.
Unfortunately the 1500/2700 ratio can NOT be used to calculate the Lumens of the other light as it ignores the difference in the amount of light in the spill.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

LEDninja said:
Unfortunately the 1500/2700 ratio can NOT be used to calculate the Lumens of the other light as it ignores the difference in the amount of light in the spill.

I may have accepted what you say, in part, apart from the fact the figure you should be quoting is 3,700, not 2,700 !! (Twice !)

Approx 65 lumens min is not arrived at by calculation, but by empirical means.

This may of course be higher when production model received.

You quote Kyle's reply ( to my question !!), and I am of the opinion that the 65 lumens mentioned for the cheaper 1.25w light may be a bit optimistic, when you bear in mind 3w is quoted around 140 lumens, when the P1D-CE is only quoted as 135 lumens, and the L1D-CE at 90 max.

You omitted the bit about the higher output WF501B Cree, which I also possess, with a quoted 3,600 lux etc...

(Maybe expect around 85 lumens, as per WF501B Cree)

Enough of this, the thread is to announce the arrival of the 1AA SSC P4 torch, that is all.

Last edited:

berto

Newly Enlightened

I saw this light on dealextreme it just came out yesterday looks pretty nice.

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Radio said:
In for 2!!! I love these cheap AA lights!!!

:buddies:

Me too.

Just need a way to distinguish them apart...

L1P (emitter) type that is.

I'll probably modify my rubber band ID method, (small band wrapped around torch) which used to be Blue for Lithium, Red for alkaline, none for nimh batteries installed.

Perhaps Yellow / White for SSC'd.

I already use White around my SSC'd Ellys, none around Cree'd ones.

Vickers

Enlightened

Wow, the fit and finish looks a little primitive on that one. Hopefully that's just a pre-production one, or maybe just a shop-worn test mule.

FTR, I have a Seoul MTE (the DX ZPOWER) and it's great (light-wise, and fit and finish).

gilles44

Newly Enlightened

I must admit I am a little lost with all these lovely 1AA lights.
And I don't know which one I will buy !
I hesitate between $9.99 MXDL-Style Cree P4-WD and new $18 MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U Flashlight .
MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U seems to be more "powerfull", 3700lumens vs 2000 for the MXDL.
Do you have any idea how they compare to L1D-CE ?

Radio

Modulated Moderator

gilles44 said:
I hesitate between $9.99 MXDL-Style Cree P4-WD and new $18 MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U Flashlight .
MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U seems to be more "powerfull", 3700lumens vs 2000 for the MXDL.

This is CPF!!! Buy them ALL!!!!

:buddies:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast

gilles44 said:

L1D-CE appears to be brighter than $9.99 MXDL-Style Cree P4-WD, approx same as $18 MTE 1xAA SSCP4 42180-U , based on current information.

We'll see when the production models arrive.

Last edited:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

gilles44 said:
Your light is only as good as the torch you have with you. The MXDL is too big to fit in pants pocket unless you wear cargo pants all he time. I suggest the smaller light. Also 3700 lux vs 2000 should be noticeable without A-B comparison.

Sorry about typing 3700 as 2700 before. Had left DX and returned to CPF. Doing it from memory. A colleague once said my memory is good but it is short. I did not realize how short.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anyone got one of these yet? It looks very nice.
But I'm a bit confused about the luxratings at 1m here. They seem to be very inconsistent, or maybe that's just the nature of the beast when it comes to lux-measurements.
Fenix L1D CE from FLR: 1300lux
L1p clone 1.25W: 1500lux
L1P clone with Seoul: 3700lux
Elly with Cree from kai: 3360lux(center lux?)
Elly with Cree from DX: 2000lux

Aren't they very inconsistent for quite similar 1AA lights? I can understand different readings up to 500lux, but this is quite much. Especially the two Elly ones who should be identical. And should we really expect that the L1P clone with Seoul should outthrow a Fenix L2D(2 cells)??? Or is the only thing to learn hear that luxreadings from different sources shouldnt be compared?

Gunner12

Flashaholic

They are inconsistent because of the different reflectors used. One has more throw and the other has more flood.

Edit: The LEDs also emit a different pattern of light, the seoul's pattern allows it to use more of the reflector hence more throw, I think.

Last edited:

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Gunner12 said:
They are inconsistent because of the different reflectors used. One has more throw and the other has more flood.

Sure about that? Since all of them are smooth, and with the exceptions of the Ellys(deeper reflector) they dont seem to vary that much. I'm mostly curious about the Seoul one (the one this thread is about), since the throw seems to be outrageously good for such a small reflector and light.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

Crees have a 70 degree beam pattern. Most of the light goes straight out the front providing more spill light.
Soeul have a wider 120 degree beam pattern. More light hits the reflector and ends up in the hotspot giving higher lux readings.
In lights with reflectors:
For longer distances the Soeul is better (more intense hotspot/higher lux means more throw)
For shorter distances the Cree is better. (The extra spill makes the light more floody)

Lobo said:
Anyone got one of these yet? It looks very nice.
But I'm a bit confused about the luxratings at 1m here. They seem to be very inconsistent, or maybe that's just the nature of the beast when it comes to lux-measurements.
Fenix L1D CE from FLR: 1300lux
L1p clone 1.25W: 1500lux
L1P clone with Seoul: 3700lux
Elly with Cree from kai: 3360lux(center lux?)
Elly with Cree from DX: 2000lux

Aren't they very inconsistent for quite similar 1AA lights? I can understand different readings up to 500lux, but this is quite much. Especially the two Elly ones who should be identical. And should we really expect that the L1P clone with Seoul should outthrow a Fenix L2D(2 cells)??? Or is the only thing to learn hear that luxreadings from different sources shouldnt be compared?

- Test result:*1500 lux throw @ 3 feet (+/- 500lux) with a typical alkaline 1.5V AA battery
I read that as from 1000 lux to 2000 lux. Don't take the posted #s as absolute.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast

LEDninja said:
Crees have a 70 degree beam pattern. Most of the light goes straight out the front providing more spill light.
Soeul have a wider 120 degree beam pattern. More light hits the reflector and ends up in the hotspot giving higher lux readings.
In lights with reflectors:
For longer distances the Soeul is better (more intense hotspot/higher lux means more throw)
For shorter distances the Cree is better. (The extra spill makes the light more floody)

- Test result:*1500 lux throw @ 3 feet (+/- 500lux) with a typical alkaline 1.5V AA battery
I read that as from 1000 lux to 2000 lux. Don't take the posted #s as absolute.
Ah, thanks for the explaining about the seouls. Didnt think that far.