Brightest handheld for $100. Any better then luxeon 5 watt?

Dragonfueled

Newly Enlightened
Well its time to upgrade again. My last light was a Luxeon 5watt from amondo teck 120 lumens great light but im feeling the urge again. Is there anything out thats better? I try to follow the technology but man I cant keep up lol

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF Dragonfueled!

Not sure what size light are you looking for in a handheld, There is the Lumapower M1 which is very bright with lots of throw

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=138703

Or the Fenix line of torches

Or affordable customs like this one that will blow the M1 away and be close to 300 lumen bright.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=157723

There's lots of choices and lots of information to read, stick around, get some coffee and start reading you will be amazed at the new led technologies coming out.

Welcome aboard!
AlexGT

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
For extreme brightness look into Cree leds or Seoul Semiconductor (SSC) led in the treads, There is the search function too on top.

You can go to www.Flashlightreviews.com for your review needs. Also the dealers forum has lots of interesting lights on sale, there are discounts to CPF members on some of the stores, read Greenled stickie on the dealers forum for details

HTH
AlexGT

Ps. There are better lights than the one you posted. Get some time to read the mentioned forums before you buy.

Dragonfueled

Newly Enlightened
I really Like the M1 by lumapower.. Wow where can you get the mag lite mod. I assume its just a 2c maglight with a led modded head. Where can the head led be found.

LightScene

Enlightened
This is the brightest single led light that I know of for under $100. http://www.malkoffdevices.com/

In this thread he says they are $95 if you are interested. http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=155653

The new Cree lights throw better than a Lux 5, but they don't have the flood of a Lux 5. They are around twice as efficient, so they burn your batteries slower.

Since you already have a nice flood, you can get a really nice thrower for under $60 delivered - the Lumapower D-Mini from Batteryjunction.com Owners love this light.

If you want a really bright small light that you can carry in a pocket, look at the Fenix P1D-CE and the Fenix L0D-CE, depending on how small you want it to be.

Last edited:

Dragonfueled

Newly Enlightened
ok one last question lol . Whats the main difference between the Lumapower DX-1 and the M1 cree. and of coarese what one is brighter lol.

Im assuming bolth of these would have more throw and flood then a d mini?

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM Icarus he is the one who made it for me, I would say it is the same as Malkoffdevices but in 2C form that can use alkalines or Nimh and equally bright.

The M1 Cree is brighter and smaller than the DX-1 luxeon, another one to consider is the LP-Mini from lumapower also

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
one small thing, which of course depends how much time you have before you must buy the new light: the DX1 from Lumapower is supposed to come out with a DX1-RV version with much bigger throw. But we only have seen some proto pics so far, I don't know much detail even though I've tried to follow all posts on the matter. Timetable could be a few (even just a couple) of months at a guess.

I think it's a relatively larger formfactor, though, so it also depends if you need a small flashlight (the M1 is a 2xCR123A or 1x18650 formfactor) or can do with something a bit bigger (but still not Maglite-style bigger!).

xiaowenzu

Banned
Surefire's coming out with Cree in June, expect at least 140 lumens for L5, so stay tuned! ;)

Dragonfueled

Newly Enlightened
I went with the Malkoff mag conversion. Cant beat the run time and 240 lumens wow . Ill let you guys know how it goes once it arrives. I have a feeling ill be happy

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
There isn't anything out there that's brighter than your Lux 5. More efficient, yes, but not brighter. So don't think that your stuff is outdated. Luxeon Vs are still fine LEDs.

If I were you, I'd wait for the new SureFire L5.

Dragonfueled

Newly Enlightened
Yeah from what ive seen the malkoff is pretty impressive. The Lux 5 I have is more of a flood as stated but man its bright Im hoping the Malkoff is brighter. I know theres a big difference in size lol.

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
My $40 Ultrafire C2 kicks the crap out of my old SF gpz w/ p61 lamp and lasts much longer than 20 min. The lumapower or huntlight cree lights give you variable power options at under $100. I would recomend any of them.

txmatt

Enlightened
There's no way the Surefire L5 will meet the "brightest handheld for $100" criteria considering the current model is nearly double that price. Surefire is great but way down the list as far as lumens/$ is concerned.

Latest posts