Fenix L2D-CE performance on rechargeables.

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking hard at the L2D-CE as a task light to supplement my SWAT kit. Though I've already got lights on me in my getup, one is mounted on my weapon, and the other is a S/F with P60 lamp assembly, which won't give me much run-time. The L2D-CE with its variable outputs and use of common batteries seems to be an answer to the cost of buying primary CR123's.

It seems most results people are talking about are attained using Energizer Lithium primaries, which at Sam's Club cost ~$20 for 12, which isn't a whole lot better than buying primary CR123's.

Will Energizer rechargeable 1.2V NiMH cells rated at 2500mAh work in the L2D? Is there a better rechargeable battery alternative?

-Lawhund

socalrunner

Newly Enlightened
I found the duracell 2650's to run a solid 2:20 before dropping out of turbo mode.. If you just run in high model you are supposed to get 4 hours.. I found the runtimes of the L1D and L2D to be pretty accurate.. I am actually getting a little better runtimes on the L1D versus specs..

txmatt

Enlightened
There are some 2700 and even 2900's now...

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/aa-nimh-batteries.php

I'm more likely to believe the name brand companies for semi-realistic capacity claims than some of the lesser known brands boasting big numbers.

Another good option is Sanyo Eneloops which, though only 2000mAh, have much lower self-discharge than most other NiMH batteries. The high capacity NiMH's tend to self-discharge quickly.

If you're going to top off batteries often, go super high capacity. If you want batteries that will perform reliably after sitting a month or two, go with the Eneloops or equivalent (I believe RayOVac sells them).

OCEANBEAMER

Newly Enlightened
Well the hi cap MH give greate runtimes even at max setting on the L2D-ce ,I can only say from my experiense that they seem to last far longer than I personally have needed them so far...I spend a lot of time outdoors ay night and this light is a dream come true.....have recomended this light many times for shipment to iraq.......for the numbers go to www.flashlightrewiews.com and click on fenix l2d/lid in the new reviews...It's unbeatable for thie money.IMO

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please take a look at -

Fenix L2D-CE Comparison Review

where there was quite a bit of discussion about whether NiMH rechargeables or primary lithiums were brighter in the L2Dce - I have composite side-by-side comparison beamshots (Post #17) -

L2D-CE NiMH vs. primary lithium AA - Turbo
NiL2Dce_pLi.jpg
NiL2Dce_pLi2U.jpg

- as well as some more "practical" stairway beamshots to directly visually compare (Post #21) .

Also please see chevrofreak's excellent runtime graphs and his measured/estimated lumens output -

Fenix L2D CE and L1D CE runtime graphs

LawHund

Newly Enlightened
As usual, the font of knowledge here does not disappoint. Thank you all for your replies; the L2D-CE with the 2500's seems to be the ticket. Kicking in doors and clearing a house is ~1% of the job, much more time is spent on research and training. Taking my Gladius off and on my weapon was getting tiresome every time someone needed a low output or variable out put light for some mundane task during one of our night training sessions... ;)

-Lawhund