Knife Sharpening

Status
Not open for further replies.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharpening systems

I'm at the point where I need a good sharpening system, especially for my kitchen knives. They are getting beyond where the steel can help.

I am intrigued by the EdgePro, but at that price, it's really gonna hurt. Is there anything else out there that would serve as a less expensive alternative? I have to say that I am a complete clutz and I will need something which stops me from ruining all the angles.

Unfortunately, I am also a perfectionist, so I want to be able to get something which will allow me to sharpen my carry knives and my "Educator" (just kidding, but I have a nice big army issue machete which has a few chunks out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif ) to a really nice polished shaving edge. Of course I need variety in the angles, since some will need nice narrow angles, while the big chopper will need a pretty chunky angle on it.

Man, I'm hard to please, and I hate paying somebody else to do the job, even if it is cheaper than buying all the stuff.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Sharpening systems

I've got decades of experience with knives and sharpening.

For the super big stuff, I suggest you look at something like the Lansky Puck. It's a free-hand, hockey puck shaped hone for garden tools and the like. However, taking care of an edge with a chunk out of it is a lot of work unless you can have it ground for you -- but that's definitely not a job for first time users of grinders.

Bench stones are the most versatile sharpeners but take time to learn how to use well. They're the fastest and easiest to use once you have enough practice. No system will easily let you go from a pen knife to a machete. There are a lot set ups and adjustments to be made to let you do that range of blades.

I use a Lansky system and I like it, but I am used to taking time to set up and I usually group knives of the same size, bevel, and shape to do at one time. The EdgePro Apex system is very good but, yes, pricey. These systems are made for smaller knives (usually ~5 inch blade or less) and honing the really big stuff on them takes a bit of getting used to.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

ive used the sharpmaker and i like it .took me a while to get the gist of it but i do pretty darn good now if ya ask me

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you are a perfectionist, as I am, get the EdgePro. That will be your last sharpening purchase for the rest of your life.
Period.

I have tried the rest over many years and the EdgePro, Apex or Pro, are the McGizmo of sharpeners.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

i have used the lansky , smiths and spyderco systems
i find that the lansky and smiths systems are great for taking out chips and reprofiling edges but the sharpmaker (spyderco) is the best for getting a razor sharp edge on your knife
out of the smiths and lansky systems i prefer the lansky as you can get a nice table top clamp for it or a post that screws to a bench - stops you having to hold the clamp

just a word of warning too - the lansky, smiths and apex systems cant be used to sharpen recurved or hawkbilled or serrated blades (as far as i know)

the spyderco system does do odd blade styles and serrations

greenLED

Flashaholic

Watch your fingers!! It seems like everytime I sit down to sharpen my knife, I cut myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

I purchased a stone for the Lansky that does serrated. Never used it though! Matter of fact, a friend of mine is the only one who has used my Lansky a couple times. I should sell it! I'm in idiot when it comes to shapening blades - guess it's a coordination thing...some of us have it, some of us don't! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I bought a Sharpmaker some time ago...haven't used it yet either! From what I've read though, I should keep it.

I kept the Lansky for the same reasons Echo63 stated. I've got the screw in mount for a workbench or a piece of wood as well.

raggie33

*the raggedier*

i bought a 1 buck knife from dollor store for cutting up my food it was dull as a stick lol after the sharpmaker it was scary sharp i was cutting up chciken for nugets and it was like it was warm butter i love my sharpmaker

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think I am going to follow raggie's advice on this one. I'd love to get the edgepro, but it's a little out of my reach at the mo. I am growing to like the sound of the sharpmaker, although as I said I am UNCO so I think I'll find it hard to hold the blade upright while sharpening (believe me, I'll have trouble lol), so we'll see how it goes. If I really really suck, even after practice, then I'll save for the edgepro. I'm sure I could always sell a sharpmaker anyway.

But it sounds like the sharpmaker will do me nicely. Let's just hope that I underestimate my abilities!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

For a real dull knife, it seems that the Sharpmaker takes too long. Are any of the others faster at removing material?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

EdgePro is nice, but the Sharpmaker 204, for the money, is the best buy.

I have two suggestions - put the 204 at a height that will allow you to keep your wrist and elbow locked. Consistency is the key. If you want sharp, pointy tips on your blades, do not drag the tip over the edge of the stone. Stop the stroke with the tip still in contact with the stone. If you pull the tip over the edge, it will slowly round it down.

For re-profiling (really dull edges), the diamond rods for the Sharpmaker are great.

The diamond rods are expensive, though. You can also use a flat DMT-style diamond hone with the 204. Simply lay the hone along one of the 204's stones. Either will quickly remove material.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Man, those diamond stones make it expensive! I think I'll wait and see if they are needed. I have heard of people being able to sharpen S30V with the standard stones, but I assume it takes a long time. Since That is likely the hardest steel mine will have to touch, and I can be patient, I'll see how I go without shelling out for the diamond. I just hope that the hard steel doesn't wear down the coarse stones too quickly. The fine stones should never wear, being a closed cell synthetic structure. Unless I try to sharpen my wife's engagement ring on them that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh yeah, I obviously don't read very carefully. That's a good idea with the DMT. If I find a good, inexpensive diamond hone, that could be a very nice solution. Thanks Codeman!

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
The diamond rods are expensive, though. You can also use a flat DMT-style diamond hone with the 204. Simply lay the hone along one of the 204's stones. Either will quickly remove material.

[/ QUOTE ]

I built a wooden stand to hold my coarse DMT stone. I cut the stand so it holds the stone at 2 degrees steeper than the sharpmaker. That way if I use the DMT to reprofile the edge, then finish it with the sharpmaker, I get a 2-angle edge that sharpens easier. Also my stand is fairly sturdy so I can use a little more force in the reprofiling.

However I wonder if a coarse natural stone will remove material faster than a coarse DMT.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I doubt it. Diamond stones are notorious for removing lots of metal, and doing it fast.

Nice idea on the wooden stand though!

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast

Remember that, when you're using a diamond hone, don't use excessive force. Doing so doesn't speed us sharpening. It simply increases the chance that you'll knock some of the diamond off of the hone. I never use more than 1 lb of force. Getting an edge to be hair-popping, scary sharp is about finesse and consistency, not force. Let the hone do the work and be patient, you will be rewarded for it!

Having said that, a stable base is indespensible, IMO. If each stroke isn't at the same angle, a sharp edge is next to impossible to reach.

Hans

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Codeman said:
Having said that, a stable base is indespensible, IMO. If each stroke isn't at the same angle, a sharp edge is next to impossible to reach.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't quite agree here. I learned sharpening from my father who always sharpened his knives holding the stone in the right hand and the knife in the left. Last weekend I came across one of his old folders he doesn't use anymore. He must have sharpened it *years* ago, and the knife still shaved easily. Sure, when sharpening freehand it's impossible to keep the same angle, but slight variations in the angle result in a sort of "semi-convexed" edge which is easy to maintain and keeps really well under extended use.

Hans

Cmoore

Enlightened

My recommendation is a Lansky with diamond stones for reprofiling and a sharpmaker for day-to-day sharpening

Geode

Enlightened

I have owned an Edgepro and many other systems, but the one that is my mainstay is the Spyderco sharpmaker. After using any of these systems, even the Edgepro, you will likely find that your freehand sharpening skills are greatly improved. The Spyderco allows guided or free hand sharpening, is compact and easy to set up.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I found one place that will sell me a Sharpmaker system, the diamond inserts and the ultra fine stones for $130 shipped global priority to me in Australia. I think I will do it. That is a good price for the full system, brand new, all shipped global priority.

If anyone knows of a better deal, let me know, but that sounds pretty sweet to me. They also answered my email promptly, so that counts in their favour too IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.