Spyderco knife question.

WDR65

Enlightened
Since I've seen several people on here who are big Spyderco fans I was hoping that someone would know the answer to this. I'm wondering if Spyderco has made a black coated partially serrated Delica 4 yet and where I might be able to find one if they have? I've looked at their website and also on several other sites and can't find one yet. Thanks in advance if anybody has any info.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
To my knowledge, Spyderco doesn't make black coatings on their blades. I've never found the need for coatings. Spyderco isn't too fond of such cosmetic things, they just make good knives.

cal..45

Enlightened
PhantomPhoton said:
To my knowledge, Spyderco doesn't make black coatings on their blades. I've never found the need for coatings. Spyderco isn't too fond of such cosmetic things, they just make good knives.

that is not true (except the part with "make good knives":) ). spyderco has quite a few knives with black coated blades, just have a look at their website: www.spyderco.com

@ wdr65,

i haven't seen a delica4 with black coated SE yet, but I'm pretty sure their was a delica3 with a black blade. I'm a spyderco fan for years, though I'm far from being an expert. perhaps one can answer your question in this forum 100% correct, otherwise I would suggest to ask it in the spyderco forum itself.

regards, holger

Last edited:

WDR65

Enlightened
Thanks guy, that helps some. I didn't think there was one yet, but I wasn't sure. The reason I asked is that I have an Endura VG-10 that has a black coated blade and I also have a olive drab handled Delica with a black coated blade. They are both the older style, I assume the models before the ones out now. I sent an email to Spyderco asking about the olive drab handled Delica as I had seen one at a show and couldn't find on the internet and was told that they were a special run. Oh well, its my edc at the moment and it has taken a beating.

I like my Delica 4 a lot, but I did not buy a combo edge model and its utility is limited where I work as I cut a lot of nylon strap and plastic banding. So instead of just buying another regular model witha a combo edge I was wondering if they had a new version with the black coating out yet.

CLHC

Flashaholic
My serrated Spyderco Delica had a black coated blade. I think I ordered it from USCav or BQM. But that was 10 years ago. I remember the finish held fast; even with daily use in a warehouse that I worked in cutting OCC, rope, and plastic binding.

carrot

Flashaholic
Spyderco currently only has two black-bladed knives in its lineup (which are also available with plain blades) -- the Para-Military and the Military. I have also seen black Delica3's and Natives, but these are not currently being manufactured to my knowledge.

The black coating is amazing. It's tough as nails and still looks great as ever after months of cutting.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is a Delica 4, take it apart, and have someone coat the blade for you.

Blades