floodlight (large outdoor type)

aljsk8

Enlightened
not strictly led - but i dont really know where to ask....

i have a homemade floodlight that i use for filming skateboarding
its a camera tripod with 2 mr16 flood type bulbs (diachoric - sp)
the bulbs are 12v 50w and they are run off a 12ah lead acid battery (so not overvolted - therefore a bit yellow)

basicly i want to know how many cree or ssc stars (just the dx ones) it would take to equal or improve the amount of light (with suitable reflectors for a similar flood) running the stars at say 750 - 1000ma.

cooling would be ok as this is at night outside and stars can be attached to a big sheet of copper or something

any help is greatly apriciated

Alex

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
about 5-6 cree or seul type. (with the right optical patterning)
but if you video with "White" leds there are huge holes in the total light spectrum, so colors are not so great.
if a person used 9 RGB 3W leds, they might get somewhere, but you have to diffuse them out just right or you get splotches of coloration.
or about 100 total of 3 colors of 5mm leds, making sure that the emission patterns are the same .

HID becomes more efficient and easy in these situations, because the "ARC" has a more full spectrum. they are almost 3X as efficient as the incans you were using, and can even be focused easily. when videoing your more likly to have a light on for TIME. because HID is not an instant on light, nor does it like to be switched on and off. the LED has that advantage.

oops, the above approximations are to replace a SINGLE 50w halogen incan.

Last edited:

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
This might sound crazy, but what about mounting 10 stars without reflectors or optics on a copper sheet. This would be an extreme wide angle flood light and should work well for lighting up an area instead of just a spot. I played around with this idea for a bike light but quickly found out I needed more throw for riding.

WNG

Enlightened
They make CFL flood assemblies that look similar to those halogen 500W units.
Being fluorescent, the ~65W bulb produces an equivalent 300-500W incan.
Get one with good CRI, and run it with a small 200-300W power inverter off your lead acid battery.

Probably cheaper, brighter, better color rendering, and no HID start/stop issues. LEDs can't put out this much light w/o getting costly and complicated.