Who here EDC's a Taser ??

Perfectionist

Enlightened
I'm thinking of getting one from DealExtreme (cos they also have a built-in light ! :D) ..... are they really any good for self defence ??

Anybody have any experience using them on someone ..... anybody ever been "tased" yourself ??

gorn

Enlightened
Are you talking about Tasers or stun guns? The taser fires 2 electrodes into the target. With stun guns you touch the target to zap them. I've only seen the stun guns at DealExtreme.

I was part of a group that set a world record on the number of people zapped with at taser. I forget the exact number but there were over 25 of us holding hands in a circle with both ends also holding the taser darts. When they fired it up it zapped the whole group pretty good.

I've also had several stun guns. I accidentally shocked myself with one and that was all she wrote for me. It knocked the crap out of me.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love taser stories and stun gun stories. They usually involve someone sitting on something and sticking it in their leg, stomach, etc. Then waking up in a pool of their own urine on the floor sore, in some pain with a burn mark where the taser or stun gun was placed on them.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would that be worse than misjudging the distance when walking over an electric fence, they are common on Southern farms. Normally, you put one leg over then bring over the other leg. If you misjudge it's about the equivalent of two simultaneous bee stings right on the bullseye.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
Wow and to think in Australia i can't even carry one of these on duty and you are looking to buy one for self defence......

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
It hurts :ohgeez: I got one in the leg from a state trooper that used to moonlight with me, feels like you got kicked in the leg afterwards:thumbsdow But six months later I got my revenge at a chrismas party with a bigger stun gun with fresh duracels he dropped like a stone :dedhorse::lolsign:
Manzerick said:
these thing freak me out!

What did it feel like to get jolted? :sick2:

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gorn, you now have the coolest screen name. Grey Mullet, you move to second place.:)

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife EDC's a stun gun. It's the common tiny 3x 123 battery one. She's never had to use it, but the one time my wife thought she might be in danger, she clicked on the stun gun and the fierce crackle made her possible assailant run.

The biggest point is that if you think you may need it, it needs to be in your hand and armed. In your pocket won't do you any good.

I'm happy that my wife is taking the required classes to get a CHL. Then she'll likely be EDC'ing a Titanium S&W .38 special. :)

:buddies:

Glass

Newly Enlightened
I pack a X26 TASER, in addition to other tools, on a daily basis as part of the job.

I took the ride and I screamed like a little girl because it hurt at least a hundred times more than the cop grade stun guns I've been hit with. But, I was still able to move my arms well enough to operate a knife or club, and I'm not anybody special (far from it).

If the TASER is the only tool you are allowed to carry because of the foolish and misguided laws of your community, I'd move. :grin2:

Pepperspray, though not as effective as the TASER, does allow multiple applications. But, when you spray them, you will get some of it too, that's just the reality.

Impact weapons are very versatile, and can be used by almost anyone. Also, they can be made out of innocent items. Finally, if you need to go to the final extreme of force, you can kill someone with an impact weapon.

Guns and knives: I'm a big fan, but you must get some training to be of any real use with one. Jeff Cooper said, "Owning a firearm no more makes you a gunfighter, than owning a guitar makes you a musician." Instead of buying a $1200 dollar super handgun, get a $300 revolver and spend the rest on training.

I think, for the average person, the TASER is a waste of money. They are not as effective and wonderful as the manufacturer would have you believe.

Whatever you do decide on, do not place all your faith in one tool or one tactic. On duty I carry: two guns, two knives, a 26" Asp, Mk 4 OC, and a X26, plus all the goodies in my car. Off duty: one gun, a sap, two knives, Inova T2 (also acts as an impact weapon).

Sorry for the long reply. :)

Patrick

[Steps off soapbox]

Glass

Newly Enlightened
It seems some of you sadistic people want to know what it is like to take the ride. :grin2:

I was still working in the jail when I got certified to carry one. I was told I did not have to take the ride, but I was brow-beat into it by a sgt I had tremendouse respect for.

We went all the way through the class, and I watched all the videos of various idiots being Tased. Now, here comes my turn...

Instead of shooting me with the darts, they used an old cartridge, to save money. They put one probe in my waistband on my left and right sides. They made sure the contact would be good and solid (more so than if they had darted me I'm told), and had me get on my knees.

The instant the trigger was pulled, it felt like rapid, throbbing agony throughout my body. I yelled and went to my stomach, then began shouting the "F word" repeatedly. I was able to move my arms quite a bit, and even tried crawling away from it. Had I had a knife, I could have stabbed the instructor, and again, I'm nothing special at all (actually, I'm a bit of a weeney).

Ever hit your elbow on something really hard? Combine that feeling (x 1000) with the weird painful tingle of eletcrical shock, and that is what the TASER ride is like. But, I personally know guys whoafter being OCed, and while being TASERed, can draw and accurately fire a handgun.

When it was over... better than sex. :laughing:

Patrick

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Back in my bartending days, I EDCd a stun gun; and had several models over the years. I never had to actually *USE* them on an assailant.
I think I did accidentally zap myself on the leg once - just a single "pop", but it felt like I got kicked in the nads by a mule. :green:

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Sorry I should have said Stun Guns ..... so y'all saying they aren't really all that effective then ??

Still, seeing as carrying knives and guns is illegal in the UK ..... a Stun Gun would be better than nothing !!

Are the ones for sale by DX good quality or just cheap crapola ??

gorn

Enlightened
Perfectionist said:
Sorry I should have said Stun Guns ..... so y'all saying they aren't really all that effective then ??

That's not what I am saying. Electricity scares the hell out of me. One zap from my stun gun made me a believer. I have a ccw so I carry a pistol. If I couldn't carry a pistol I would carry a stun gun.

When I zapped myself I was screwing around arcing the thing against a ammo can. It zapped me from my left big toe to my right hand. That caused me to involuntarily throw the stun gun across my living room and make a less than manly sound. (OK, I'll cop out, I screamed like a little *****). My kids thought it was funny as hell.

It was after my self stunning incident that I did the taser test. The only reason I participated in that was because all of my cadets had volunteered so I didn't want to be the wimp.

I would put stun guns right up there with pepper spray. Sure they won't work on everybody, but the will work on most people. I had one that also had a strobe light built into it. That enhanced the psychological effect when it was fired up.

Last edited:

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't argue that stun guns aren't scary, they are. But, as far as effectiveness, they are not. You should go to a dedicated self defense forum and do a search to learn more. There's even firearms schools that use getting zapped w/ a stun gun as the signal to draw and fire. Ya, it hurts, but consensus is they're all easy enough to fight through.

Taser is a different story.

Calina

Enlightened
If the laws in England are anything like they are here in Canada (they are usually pretty close), tasers and stun guns are illegal.

If you go that route anyway, you should also be aware that some unfortunate accidents have happened with these and resulted in the death of victims.

Art Vandelay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure they come with some level of risk. But for some people, not having a Taser or stun gun is a greater risk than having one.

As to their legality, I believe in following laws even if I disagree with them. If you live in a democracy, you can try to have the law changed. If you build or join an organization, you may even succeed.

Calina said:
If the laws in England are anything like they are here in Canada (they are usually pretty close), tasers and stun guns are illegal.

If you go that route anyway, you should also be aware that some unfortunate accidents have happened with these and resulted in the death of victims.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Stun guns in the UK are not a good Idea mate.

If you get caught importing it you will loose it at best, and at worst be right in the poo.

If you do get it & get caught EDC'ing one You WILL get Hit with a huge fine + or jail time or comunity service.

If are a scrote you wont get too much bother, as getting knicked with things like this is an ocupational hazard for scrotes, and for a carrear criminal with nothing to loose its no big deal. But If you are a decent chap, which I'm sure you are, It ain't worth it mate.

Can you imagine applying for a new job, and having to explaing your criminal conviction for carrying a stungun to you prospective employer in a country that Is so backwards towards self deffence.

The is no definition of carrying a defensive weapon in the UK, any weapon is classed as an offensive weapon, which makes you offensive, and a criminal.

If you have even been arrested you cant go to the USA anymore, ( without a lengthy process and visa trouble, and that is still not garrenteed you'd get accepted, and thats even If you wern't charged or convicted of what you were arrested for in the end.

I could go on and on and on, but realy there is no benifit for you to EDC weapons in the UK, especially those on the Banned list, and there is a defined banned list of what you can and cant have in the UK, ( I got the home office to send me the list of what you can and cannot import.) including Balisongs, flick knives, nuckles, stun guns, kubotans, all kind of ninja stuff etc etc etc ...........pepperspay is classed as a firearm, and I'm not 100% but I think a stun gun is too. It will definaley get you into as much bother.
Do you realy want to that much heat.

Infact anything that an officer of the law thinks might be a weapon or improvised weapon like a screw driver, metal comb, brick, if you can think of it so can they, you need to account for you actions. Or you will get knicked

You like torches, thats why you are here, So EDC a torch, A torch is a tool, not a weapon.

You have a choice from a small E2e sized light to a 6D mag. Torches are perfectly legal to EDC. If you cant protect yourself with a torch a stun gun is useless.

I have been stupid enough to intentionally shock myself with a stun gun, infact me and my friends uset to play "it" or "Tag" with our stun guns, and it hurts; But I'm not stupid enough to **** myself in the face with a torch.

Supprisingly BTW knives are Legal to EDC.
Yep thats right, but its all in context, if you have good reason for it you can carry it, If you dont have a good reason ie a trademan, chef, camping, bushcrafter etc. then you CAN still carry a knife, but it needs to be 3" ( or less, the 3" actually referes to the sharpened edge length) blade that doesn't lock, think swiss army knives. That is your right under section 139 of the criminal justice act. Although you can't take one into schools, and a few other places.

But that is all in context to, ie dont go into a night club or a football match with 3" non locking folding knife. Legal to the letter of the law, but you will still risk getting your collar felt.

UK law is fluid, if the judge thinks you are taking the **** he can change the law to some degree to suit there and then. S139 used to make it ok for locking knives under 3", But a judge in court changed the rules buy saying a lock knife was a fixed blade, so case law stands and it would have to go to a ridiculousley high court to overturn it, and now of cource in todays climate they wont.

It has to be a good reason, saying the lock is to protect your fingers if you need to cut something wont save your bacon if you had nothing planned to cut / work on.

So back to torches, I prefer the 6C mag, (yes you can still buy them in England even though they are discontinued,) for the car. My Mad Maxbeam 2D mag with 65623 for EDCing with a coat on its still a little big for EDC, and an E2D for pocket carry with a all black balrog body so It doesn't advertize defender on it, because as I told you, in the UK the defender becomes the offender without even offending anyone.

Oh and yeah, I EDC a knife also, but It changes on the situation and the legal context.

Last edited:

goldenlight

Enlightened
A Taser is nearly worthless for self defense. If your assailant is on drugs, he may not go down.

I've seen video footage of the local metro Police Tasering a guy twice, and he wouldn't go down. Two different Tasers, too.

So they SHOT HIM. ( He had a small knife, or some other 'less lethal' weapon, IIRC. Not a gun, I remember that.)

They edited out the picture, but you could hear the Sergeant tell 2 officers to shoot him. You could hear the shots. Not pleasant.

The local metro Police keep their Tasers in their patrol car trunks. It's not considered a first line 'weapon'. They are rarely used, due to their failure rate.

Basically, a Taser will only be used in a contained situation when it won't matter to public, or officer safety, if it doesn't work. Not many situations like that.

Get a Glock.