BlackShadow

Thread: Excellent result upgrading MXDL 3W to SSC

Smile Excellent result upgrading MXDL 3W to SSC

Recently upgraded the $6.50 "Davida" MXDL 3W from Kai with a SSC U-bin, with fantastic results.

As you'll see on the runtime graphs below, overall output was nearly tripled with no effect on runtime (i.e. from the dark blue line to the pink line). Output is now within spitting distance of a P1DCE on medium (primary).

Results are with my home-made lightmeter and milk carton box. Relative output values are typically fairly close to the numbers from Quickbeam's FR.com.

Beam quality is excellent with unmoded reflector. Here's a representative beamshot:
    MXDL-SSC is on the left, P1DCE is on the right (on hi), both on AW protected RCR

Full details on how I did the mod (with more beamshots, etc.) are available in the custom & modified section:
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/....php?p=1928024

Enjoy!
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 03-23-2007 at 12:58 PM.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight S15R.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

Flashaholic

Default Re: Excellent result upgrading MXDL 3W to SSC

Nice write up on both threads.

During your runtime tests, did the MXDL SSC get too hot to handle ?
    Guns, Cigars & Forced Injection Cars

I always love detailed reviews with good pics
    EDC: Ra Clicky 100WWCn/ Muyshondt Aeon
    Other Favorites: Surefire LX2/Eagletac M2XC4/ DBS V2 1S-R2, MC-E

Thanks for the kind words.

The light gets warm very quickly in the hand, faster than it did before (at least I know the thermal transfer is working well!).

But for the run time tests, I kept a fan blowing on it the whole time. Light tint seemed constant during the run, no immediate evidence of emitter overheating so far.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight S15R.

Selfbuilt,
    Do you think it's possible to replace the stock reflector with McR16 or McR18 in this light?
    What is the measurement D x L for the stock reflector?
    Can you measure it?

Hi nano ... frankly, it's a real pain getting the reflector out (if you plan to keep it, that is). I nearly damaged it the first time I tried, as there are a lot screw threads in the head that prevent it coming out smoothly - needs a fair amount of brute force on the lens to push it out (i.e. doesn't unscrew, or at least mine wouldn't). From my approximate estimate with it mounted, the McR18 looks like it should be a good fit.

The lense is 18mm, so the MCR18 sounds right.

- Vikas