SunwayLED
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AmiLite T5 and TerraLUX K2 reviews - Flashlightreviews.com

Thumbs up AmiLite T5 and TerraLUX K2 reviews - Flashlightreviews.com

Archive of the Original FlashlightReviews.com ::::: The default position on any claim is disbelief until credible evidence is presented.

Default Re: AmiLite T5 and TerraLUX K2 reviews - Flashlightreviews.com

Thanks for the reviews Doug. The Amilite looks even more awesome now! I must say though that the TerraLux K2 drop in really stinks! The 2AA MagLED completely outclasses it.

Doug,

Do you think you could do a runtime test with the Amilite on the low output?
    Last edited by adirondackdestroyer; 03-23-2007 at 02:48 PM.

thats ugly ,im a little shocked too as to how poor 5k2 performed

Flashaholic

Ouch. I gave a MiniMag modded with a TLE-5K2 Ministar2 to a friend as a gift. Now I'm wishing I gave my friend a MiniMag LED instead. TerraLux seems to have goofed with this particular drop-in.
    "I hate quotes. Tell me what you know." -Ralph Waldo Emmerson
    Greg at Brightguy.com rocks! Thanks for all the great service.

Nice the 5 star rating for the T5 is well deserved, very nice flashlight...
    Eagletac G25C2 MKII | Nitecore SRT3 | Nitecore SRT7 | Nitecore TM26 | SkyRay King |

Thanks again. Starting to sound like a broken record.

Flashaholic
    Where the grass is blue, up is down, and hamburgers eat people. Yep. Canada.

Thanks for more great reviews! I'm glad, because I was considering getting some new lights, both of those included. In the end, I got the Neo T5 and not the TLE-5K2. I hope it arrives next week. Does the K2 drop in seem brighter than the other Terralux drop ins?

when the 5ex that replaces the 5k2 comes available you should review it cause to me its amazing how a simple emitter swap will double the numbers and be well over the L1d medium and very near L1d max http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/show...87#post1929487
    Last edited by qip; 03-24-2007 at 12:26 AM.

I see now why TerraLux are replacing the K2's with SSC's. With less heat output the new dropin will probably beat or be on a par with the Magled. Hopefully you will have time to review this when it becomes available, along with the 3-6 cell dropin that is already out. Thanks.

Once again, well-done reviews. I'm quite happy with my modded HDS but that T5 looks AWESOME for a single cell light!

But man, that K2 module looks kinda sad. I realize that there is a world of differences between converter boards, but I'm at a loss as to how the 2xAA Minimag can have 50% more outut AND 50% longer runtimes. I mean, assuming the Mag converter is 80% effecient (which I would venture is already an optomistic estimate) then does that mean the K2 is only about 50% effecient?

That's just sad.

Is this because of heat issues maybe? I don't tend to think so because even then, the very initial brightness should be above that of the MagLED.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

Thanks Doug.
    Your reviews are, as usual, top notch. That Amlite is so tempting, but I'm stuck in a (illogical) boycott of reverse clicky switches for lights over ~$30. Your 5 stars isn't helping me much
    Neutral white, it's the new black.

No battery rattle? Are you shaking it side to side or long ways? What batteries are you using?

What do you mean by "sealed up tight"? Screwed together tight? You can back off the tail switch a hair to extend the spring a bit further into the battery tube but you can't go too far or the tail won't seat properly onto the battery tube.

For a number of years, my main car light was a red 3D Mag that I ran 4 C cells in on the stock 4 cell Krypton cells. TRUST me, the spring makes the cells so tight length-wise that there is NO rattling when shaking in any direction. I didn't use any sort of spacer either.

I think you are underestimating the tension that spring puts on the 4 C cells.
    "That's what makes SF so badass... we've got the best flashlights."

Quote Originally Posted by cratz2
    For a number of years, my main car light was a red 3D Mag that I ran 4 C cells in on the stock 4 cell Krypton cells. TRUST me, the spring makes the cells so tight length-wise that there is NO rattling when shaking in any direction. I didn't use any sort of spacer either.

I think you are underestimating the tension that spring puts on the 4 C cells.
    TRUST you? I trust myself and my hands and I'm not underestimating anything. I know how to screw a flashlight together and when my T5 is screwed together the battery rattles when you shake it side to side. As I mentioned, you can only get the spring so tight. It doesn't matter what cell is in there (protected, non-protected, primary). Do you have a T5?

K2 drop-in also costs more than the entire new MagLED. What a deal!!

- Vikas

Quote Originally Posted by Gannz
    No battery rattle? Are you shaking it side to side or long ways? What batteries are you using?

What do you mean by "sealed up tight"? Screwed together tight? You can back off the tail switch a hair to extend the spring a bit further into the battery tube but you can't go too far or the tail won't seat properly onto the battery tube.

"What do you mean by "sealed up tight"? Screwed together tight? " Yes. That's it.

I don't notice any rattle unless I snap it back and forth. Battery rattle by my definition is rattle "during casual use and consistently". Shaking the snot out of it to see if i can get it to rattle would seem a bit like running a Civic down a dirt logging road to see if there was any noticable "road noise" in the passenger compartment...

To satisfy everyone I have removed the sentence in the review about battery rattle.

I never put much stock in getting all hyped up over minor battery rattle - It's just not a big deal. You can try wrapping a piece of celophane tape around the middle of the battery if it really bothers you.

I'm glad everyone (else) enjoys the reviews!

Doug P.
    Archive of the Original FlashlightReviews.com ::::: The default position on any claim is disbelief until credible evidence is presented.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Quickbeam
    I'm glad everyone (else) enjoys the reviews!

Doug P.
    Well, I did. Thanks, again!

Party Re: AmiLite T5 and TerraLUX K2 reviews - Flashlightreviews.com

Thanks Quickbeam, the T5 honorably deserves each one of those 5 stars.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Quickbeam
    Shaking the snot out of it to see if i can get it to rattle would seem a bit like running a Civic down a dirt logging road to see if there was any noticable "road noise" in the passenger compartment...
    Hilarious imagery!

Thanks for the excellent review.
    Resistance is futile...

Thanks for the the review and the laugh, Doug.
    I got nothing else to say...

Placed my order last night for a T5. I couldn't resist any longer! I wanted one when everyone first got there's and were raving about it, but not that I have seen the output and runtime graphs the force was too strong. Now I am playing the waiting game but it should hopefully be here in around 5 days or so. I can't wait!!!

Thanks for another excellent review.

i ordered with EMS on it

Doug,

I'm sure you don't know me... but I would like to let you know because of your site I bought a Surefire U2 a long time ago. And now I think I'm going to purchase the T5 based on your review.

Awesome site dude. I've been there for many months & will be there for many more.

I see now why TerraLux are replacing the K2's with SSC's. With less heat output the new dropin will probably beat or be on a par with the Magled. Hopefully you will have time to review this when it becomes available, along with the 3-6 cell dropin that is already out. Thanks.
    SSC should be DOUBLE the efficiency of the Luxeon used in the Mag LED -- meaning the same brightness for more than double the runtime, or the same runtime with doujble the brightness (simply swapping the emitter). The fact that the K2 is performing so badly in that graph tells me that something is seriosuly wrong with the regulator. I'm wondering if the original reviewer got a fault unit, because that just doesn't make any sense. While less efficiency might be justifiable if it had dead perfect regulation, the fact that it doesn't IMO tells me that it's just plain junk, I don't see how 3 stars can be justified.
    Last edited by 2xTrinity; 03-25-2007 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks for your T5 review, Doug.

This light is tempting, but I confess I don't like the ~20 min. RCR123A runtime on high that I've seen reported. Seems like a higher low, or a 3 stage switch with a 60-80 lumen output "medium" would be a nice feature for this light.

Also, assuming AmiLite in Seoul is the only place to buy this light at present, I would really appreciate any owner posting what their total price, including shipping and other fees, came out to.

Thanks.

John at http://www.lighthound.com/ told me they are going to have the Amilites available in April.

Thanks for the heads up, NAW.

It must be in direct drive. I read a post that said the T5 (on a 3.7 rechargeable) produced more overall brightness than the two cell M1 Cree Huntlight. I did not think it was possible until now. That is a real light cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by AFAustin

This light is tempting, but I confess I don't like the ~20 min. RCR123A runtime on high that I've seen reported. Seems like a higher low, or a 3 stage switch with a 60-80 lumen output "medium" would be a nice feature for this light.

Also, assuming AmiLite in Seoul is the only place to buy this light at present, I would really appreciate any owner posting what their total price, including shipping and other fees, came out to.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AFAustin

Thanks.
    The total cost is either $85 or $92. I chose to go with Global Express which has tracking and takes 5-7 days, while the $5 method is just Registered mail with no tracking and days 10-15 days. On a light this expensive I want tracking for it.