What to do to/with 3D Mag-Lites?

Dobbler

Enlightened
I have three 3D Mag-Lites. What's the least expensive, least involved and brightest bang for the buck modification(s) for these beasts?

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
XtreMe_G said:
nah....the mag-num star xenon bulbs are cheaper.....$2 at department stores

Well yeah if this thread were in the non-LED section yes, but he posted this question here in the LED section.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
XtreMe_G said:
nah....the mag-num star xenon bulbs are cheaper.....$2 at department stores
But they aren't that much brighter than the stock bulb. The hottest LED drop-in has got to be the TerraLUX MiniStar5 SSC P4 U bin LED upgrade for 3-6 C/D cell Maglites. You can get one for about $27. Also, Sears sells a nice LED upgrade for about $15.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the terralux seoul upgrade. Very hard to beat cost and brightness wise.

XtreMe_G

Newly Enlightened
yea, i know, those xenon bulb upgrades wont make much difference in a 3D cell. if u're willing to shell out more money, have gene43 do a mod for you. see this thread

Timdog68

Newly Enlightened
I believe there is a 2-3 D cell teralux comng out in a few months.
From what I understand the 3-6 cell version now is a little under driven with 3 cells but the new version is designed for two cells and will scream at the 3 cell level.
I'm sure MattK from BatteryJunction will be along shortly to give the scoop but I think its an SSC P4.
You should be able to find some info. from MattK in the 3-6 cell terralux thread.
In 2-3 months there mat be a bunch more options so I'm gonna wait as I have 3 "Billy Clubs" going unused myself.:laughing:

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stereodude said:
Maybe not, but they don't burn out, and the battery life is crazy.

Are you suggesting that battery life is significantly longer with the Xenon bulb than with Krypton bulbs?

duh2.gif

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh... That's what I was hoping.

To the OP, I have done custom Mag mods and also have the Craftsman 3 cell 'bulb' that came in the 3xAAA Endurable light, the Variable Power LED available for $15 and the 2 cell Mag LED module. The Mag is the brightest of the PR based bulbs (and the 3 cell would be even brighter), but the Endurable bulb isn't bad for a 1W. The Variable Power is nice because it's versatile. And it looks like it would be VERY easy to upgrade to a Cree or SSC. Also, the Variable LED is dimmer than the MagLED of course, but battery life should be considerably longer.

Cydonia

Enlightened
Considering how extraordinarily inexpensive the 3D maglite is for those of us in North America, I have to offer the following horrifying alternative for old Maglites:
That of simply tossing your unused "billy clubs" into the trash. You read correctly. Let it go, toss it out, and get an AA powered Cree XR-E that fits in your shirt pocket.
Move on, take a fresh breath of air, look forward to the bright future without huge heavy Mags.

On the other hand, you could wrack your brain for some way to salvage the Mag's usefulness by installing a drop in, or performing an exotic modification surgery. I am finding it hard to give up my single sole remaining 3D Maglite also… It cost me $20 Canadian from the supermarket a few years ago. I think I've gotten my moneys worth since then, so I'll probably just throw it into the trash one fine morning – probably the morning I cave in and join the singing masses of small compact lightweight flashlight fans! The loathsome memory of monstrous-2-foot-long-phallus look-alike flashlights will be banished from my mind forever...

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cydonia said:
Considering how extraordinarily inexpensive the 3D maglite is for those of us in North America, I have to offer the following horrifying alternative for old Maglites:
That of simply tossing your unused "billy clubs" into the trash. You read correctly. Let it go, toss it out, and get an AA powered Cree XR-E that fits in your shirt pocket.
Move on, take a fresh breath of air, look forward to the bright future without huge heavy Mags.

On the other hand, you could wrack your brain for some way to salvage the Mag's usefulness by installing a drop in, or performing an exotic modification surgery. I am finding it hard to give up my single sole remaining 3D Maglite also… It cost me $20 Canadian from the supermarket a few years ago. I think I've gotten my moneys worth since then, so I'll probably just throw it into the trash one fine morning – probably the morning I cave in and join the singing masses of small compact lightweight flashlight fans! The loathsome memory of monstrous-2-foot-long-phallus look-alike flashlights will be banished from my mind forever...

Can't entirely agree on that. Sometimes, bigger actually is better (insert random joke here...). I find the 2D mag to be a very good size for general purpose lights, for in the boat, car etc. And the extra weight does actually work good as a club/hammer, especially with LEDs. Not to mention that the runtimes are GREAT. I generally feel that anything smaller than 2AA is too small for serious use, harder to grab and handle. But then again, I'm not the EDC a light kind of guy. Usually just bring a light when I know I need it.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Lobo said:
... I find the 2D mag to be a very good size for general purpose lights, for in the boat, car etc. ...Not to mention that the runtimes are GREAT.
Yes, many, many people agree with you on the 2D form factor. I have a Mag 2D with a Sears/Dorcy drop-in and I think it's a great emergency light. 2C Mags are much lighter and easier to handle, though. I don't think the large Maglites are going anywhere anytime soon.

CandlePowerForumsUser

Enlightened
Cydonia said:

real poetic like... :)

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
cratz2 said:
Are you suggesting that battery life is significantly longer with the Xenon bulb than with Krypton bulbs?

duh2.gif
No, I'm suggesting that the LED will give significantly better battery life and doesn't burn out despite not being much brighter than the incandescent bulb, which is surprise, suprise, exactly what I posted the first time.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stereodude said:
No, I'm suggesting that the LED will give significantly better battery life and doesn't burn out despite not being much brighter than the incandescent bulb, which is surprise, suprise, exactly what I posted the first time.

To add to the confusion, I also thought you meant the Xenon-bulb since you quoted GeorgePaul, who quoted Xtreme_G. :)

Aw, I think we need a group hug. :grouphug: