Need something brighter than my T4

Enlightened
Does anyone know of any LED light that is roughly the same dimensions as the Inova T4 but is MUCH brighter? I wouldn't mind having mine modded but I can't find anyone to do so. I sure as heck can't.
Why the same size? It might be carried on a duty belt in a few months time.
The T4 is roughly 8" in total length. The bezel is close to 1.5" in diameter and the body is approx. 1" in diameter.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
Does it have to be rechargeable? If so, the SureFire L7, which has almost exactly the same dimensions as you state for your Inova, should do the trick.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Just looked it up. The lumen output is lower than the T4 I have. That doesn't mean much but I'd hate to spend the money and be disappointed.
The DX Cree that I have is super bright compared to the T4.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably shouldnt just go by Surefires numbers, they are legendary when it comes to be conservative about their own numbers.

Enlightened
Budget wise I'd like to stay around the ~$100 mark. $200 is pushing it but if it will get me what I need then I will have to spend it.
I saw the modded Striker-VG at BatteryJunction but they are sold out due to a limited run. I saw someone on here mod a Stinger LED with a SSC. Looked pretty good. I've yet to see a modded T4. If getting a Stinger LED and modding it is the key, I might have to pull the trigger.
But before I go that route, any other suggestions? I'm currently searching myself but I am limited on the "experience" department. THanks again.

GeorgePaul

Enlightened
The Inova T4 is rated at 40.8 throw and 27 overall output by Quickbeam (see here). Note that all SureFire lights using a 5W Luxeon, as does the L7, have much higher overall output than the Inova T4. I've never personally compared the T4 to the L7, but I bet the L7 is a lot brighter. Maybe someone can chime in here?

Pila is coming out with new lights using the Cree emitters. They'll all be able to use rechargeables. See http://www.pilatorch.com/.

Enlightened
I don't know if it makes a difference but I have the 07 version of the T4 with the non-TIROS reflector and the K2 LED.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Just to prove a point. I took these tonight.

Fenix L1D CE
L1Doutside_filtered.jpg

2007 model T4
T4outside_filtered.jpg

DX "U2"
DXoutside_filtered.jpg

I love the T4 for what it's worth (built like a tank, rechargeable) but it just needs a bit more 'umph'.

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Surefire L5? Bright and looks damn cool.
Im pretty sure Milkyspit can Mod your Inova T4. Shoot him a PM and He'll reply.

Also a Streamlight Propoly 3C Luxeon? Pretty decent output with superb throw, and really cheap. Somebody can mode that badboy with a seoul and You'll have throw and output.

Enlightened
I shot him a PM already. Waiting for a reply. Last resort would be going back to an incan. (Surefire 9P) and outfitting it with a Lumens Factory ~320 assembly.

Edit to add: The DX Cree drop-in module sounds good. Just need to know if it will run on the 9P (3x123A).
If it will be as bright or brighter than the DX, I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Enlightened
The whole voltage thing throws me off. The sticker on the bulb pictured on the link says 3.7-9v. I'll take their word for it but wouldn't 3 rechargeable 123's exceed that? I HAVE to use rechargeables..

Nevermind.. I found some 3v RCR123's. I thought they were all 3+ volts. :laughing: 9P it is.

Last edited:

Enlightened
Update I guess..

I ended up ordering a Surefire 9P and the Cree drop-in from DX. This combo should be what I am looking for. Thanks again for all the help.